How is the weather (right now)

I don’t know the hour of the lowest temp, but it must’ve been at night. It was measured 130 km south of where I live, so it’s very close to the center of the country.

The highest temperature was measured in the south, near Helsinki. But the next highest temperatures were measured in the north.

A year ago it was quite warm in Finland. Today the first snow of winter is officially here*.

* “Here” is 300 km south from my here.

2 Likes

We’ve got… winter rains? :stuck_out_tongue:

Full winter here…

Yesterday there was -28°C up north. In my area only -15°C.
The world is boiling, but Fennoscandia seem to be cooling. Which was to be expected.

10 Likes

Wow. That picture is beautiful! Did you made it?

1 Like

Thanks, I took it tonight.

2 Likes

Now I would like to be there … especially over Christmas. :smiley:

1 Like

I’d like to be somewhere warm and less snowy :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I’d imagine it was taken at 2PM or so, seeing how bright the skies are :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yesterday was the annual “The greyest day of the year”, which is colloquially “Lonkeropäivä” or “The Day of The Tentacle” in English :smile:

Why the tentacle? Well. In 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki there was a need for a refreshing alcoholic beverage which would be really quick for bartenders to make. They created the Gin Long Drink, which became really popular, and is very popular still today. People called “Long Drink” a “Lonkero” as it was easier to pronounce for a Finn. And “lonkero” translated is the “tentacle”.

Why is “lonkero” associated with the greyest day? Easy. This is what the drink looks like:

I realized today why this date (or yesterday) is called the greyest of the year, as the sky was grey, the snow was grey, the roads were grey, the river was grey…

8 Likes

Now please explain us why all of this didn’t come out earlier!

Great story. I love it.

5 Likes

Looks like that we have the greyest day in Germany today. At least in my hometown…

Today we have:

1 Like

Not buckets, but rain and raising water level in our river…

Today

In the morning it was -27°C. I stayed at home. In the evening -11°C. That’s a 16° difference.
Last week we got some snow. Some say it was the biggest load in 22 years.

Pretty much constant snow here, and likely will be all week.

4 Likes

Look pretty much like my street at the moment! :smiley:

Over here it’s similar, but the tree snow’s melting under the sun (although the temp is -5° feels like -10°).

Constant change between snow and rain here. It snows then it gets warmer and the rain melts the snow then it gets colder again…

And so on…and so on…and so on…

1 Like