Hysterically funny movies that you love

So what killed John Landis career then? No it was not what you think it was, because he did some fine ones after that namely Into The Night, Spies Like Us and Coming to America.

I will second UHF and Brain Candy which never stop being funny to me…

And no one has mentioned This Is Spinal Tap. I think I was ROTFL when the set of Stonehenge was literally in danger of being trampled by dwarves.

One of my favourite comedies AND movies of all time. These go to 11…

You know I´ve only recently heard of Kids In The Hall, and wondered why that is because each time they´re compared to Monty Python, which is a very bold statement.

I absofreaking loved the Ghostbusters 2016. In fact, thanks for reminding me, I think I’ll watch it today or tomorrow, since my friend told me it’s in HBO Go.

Okay, hysterically funny:

Both are very funny, very ground-breaking sketch comedy teams who have a flair for drag. It’s hard to say who’s ‘better’; I prefer KITH, mainly because each troupe member brings their own unique comedy style which makes for a great mosaic of sketches; MP is a little too one-note-of-silliness for me. (Plus, I’m Canadian, so I’m a little biased!)

1 Like

Dumb & Dumber and The Onion Movie.

Even the title is hilarious in Italian :slight_smile: “They continued to call him Trinity”.

I wonder how good is the German dubbing. In Italian, much of the movie greatness is given by the two voice actors. (Even in Italian the films are dubbed).

Hm… It think weird or ridiculus are the best words to describe the dubbing. :slight_smile: But it’s hard to describe. (Sometimes they speak without opening the mouth. :wink: )

Same in German.

That’s interesting. So the movies were filmed in English?

Many italian movies had very mixed european casts of not only italian but of french, german, spanish actors etc. So either everyone on set would speak their own language, english, or the whole thing would be filmed silent but usally every movie would be completly dubbed(so even the italians would completly ADR their own lines again). But I don´t know what is the particular case for the Bud Spencer & Terence Hill films.

They had a quite bad italian, with strong american accent. That’s the reason why their movies were dubbed. They acted in English, I think.
Many italian movies of the 70es (starting from the “spaghetti western”) had that mixed cast you mentioned. It wasn’t a problem for italian audience, since in Italy we’ve always had a strong dubbing tradition and the dubbing has always been of very high quality, with a very good lip-sync and sometimes (in my opinion, often) even with a better acting than the original. Here’s an interesting quote by Woody Allen:

Wait a minute Mario Girotti and Carlo Pedersoli weren´t italian?!:open_mouth:

Funny I seem to recall him saying the exact same thing about his german dubbing voice Wolfgang Draeger.

What about old classics?

Have you ever seen or enjoyed funny movies shot sixty or more years ago?

If we want to focus on rapid jokes, then the first movie that comes to my mind is Duck Soup, especially the parts with Groucho Marx.

But probably my favorite classic comedy is “Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House”: it’s more slow-paced than the movies already listed in this thread but there are a lot of scenes that crack me up.

Here is Myrna Loy explaining to the builders of her new house which colors to use for the walls:

1 Like

Of course, but listing some of those classics usually makes you sound like an armchair movie critic. But just for completeness sake:

Some Like It Hot
To Be Or Not To Be
The Odd Couple (the movie not the show)
Bringing Up Baby
His Girl Friday
Most Marx Brothers films (Night At The Opera and Duck Soup especially)
Charllie Chaplin(Modern Times), Buster Keaton(Sherlock Jr.), Harold Lloyd(Safety Last!) of course too.

They actually were, but spent most of their life abroad. I temember in particular an interview in which an old Pedersoli spoke in a sort of mixed language which was a melange between italo-american and neapolitan dialect. I had serious issues in understanding him. But I saw that clip many years ago. I’ll look for it.

EDIT: couldn’t find it. I found a clip in which he speakes a correct italian but with strong regional accent, while girotti has a very slight stranger accent.

Mhmmm that denotes by Allen either lack of self-confidence or plenty of smart-ass-ness :blush:

Quite different kind of movies. Ar least in Italy Some like it hot is considered much more mainstream. It is still broadcasted often (at least one time/year) and it’s well known and very popular. Conversely, almost nobody knows Harold Lloyd, and only cinephiles cite his movies. By the way, I LOVE Safety last!

How is Adriano Celenanto viewed in his home country today? As a (good/bad) singer or the star of silly comedies?

Nah… it just tells people that you love cinematography even more. :slight_smile:

You made me think of and animated GIF that explains how a special effect of that movie was done. Click the image to go to the website:

1 Like

The Three Stooges!

The only thing that I ever liked about The Three Stooges was that Cinemaware made a game about them. (and Cinemaware was my favorite software house back in the Amiga days).

He has always had a fair strong fanbase which idolize it for anything he did, was it his music career starting from the 50s-60s, the silly movies of the 70s, or the TV shows of the 80s-90s.

To answer your question I think that his most recognized contribution to italian culture is for music. He is THE FIRST italian rocker, the person who imported rock and roll in Italy back then.
The movies have not been so much remembered, but recently they have been rediscovered and considered as “cult” by some people, especially young ones.

But probably most of the people, if you say “Celentano” thinks about the iconic character as a TV-host, with his shades, his grumpiness, his very peculiar movements, sayings and voice, his christian and moral message.
He is definitely the italian character who has had the greatest number of mocking imitators in stand-up comedy.

Why your question? Is he famous in Germany? How’s he considered there?