Hysterically funny movies that you love

He´s super famous in germany. Of course everyone knows his music (which some enjoy in a more or less ironic way especially something like Azzuro) but his films also have some sort of cult status, which may or may not have to do with the german dubbing(he used to have the same dubbing voice as Terence Hill).

That whole TV part of course is completly unknown here.

Well, I don’t think that the younger generations know his name. :slight_smile:

I first heard the name Zarah Leander from my grandparents. Don´t younger generations hang out with their families anymore?

That´s an interesting website, but it crucially is missing that infamous scene from Un Chien Andalou (which might be understandable, since it was no trick but in fact real albeit with a cow´s eye, I believe).

The dubbing sure plays a major role.

Azzuro is actually a quite ironic song. I’m a big fan of the author of Azzurro, who wrote (and sings) also many serious songs. His name is Paolo Conte, who also should be quite known in Germany, judging by his german Wikipedia page.

His beautiful song “Via con me”, famous for the movie “French kiss” and for a recent Coca-cola advertisement, is fantastic. Here you can listen to it while reading the translation of the Lyrics in the description of the video

Here’s the song. The translation in the description is wrong. I’ll post here a better one

Away, away, get away with me
Nothing more binds you to these places
Not even these blue flowers
Let’s get away, let’s get away, not even this grey weather
Full of musics and men you loved
It’s wonderful, it’s wonderful, it’s wonderful
good luck my babe, it’s wonderful,
it’s wonderful, it’s wonderful, I dream of you…
chips, chips, du-du-du-du-du

Away Away, let’s get away
Enter this dark love, don’t ever miss at any cost
come on, come on, don’t ever miss at any cost
The variety show made for you by someone who is in love with you

Away , away, let’s get away.
Enter this dark love full of men
Come on, come on, come in and take a warm bath
There s a blue bath gown for you, out there it’s raining a cold world

Thank you! Nice link.

Anyway it was dangerous, Mr. Lloyd had a shoulder dislocation due to that scene.

Oh yes, he was famous for putting himself in dangerous situations, which increases my admiration for him.

Talking about fascinating insane people of the era.

Buster Keaton, bitches!

pfft… fake. green screen artifacts all over the place.

No. :slight_smile:

Not back then :slight_smile:

Any Jack Black fans here?

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny (2006)

1 Like

This is one of my favorite comedy movies and it has good music!

It’s also one of the few movies that showed me a kid actor that I thought was very good:

(NSFW:)

2 Likes

Comedies that are truly original or that I really enjoy, have really become a rarity. Pick of Destiny is pretty much one of only 3 comedies that I can think of off the top of my hat in recent memory that I find truly memorable, quotable and funny. The other two being the first Anchorman and Tropic Thunder (also with Jack Black).

Oh yes and of course everything with the only comedy duo that matters today. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost(I liked Paul and I think it showed they don´t need Edgar Wright to work as a team).

2 Likes

I like their movies and they are very good actors but their movies are not incredibly funny. “Funny” but not “special”.

Really? I found Hot Fuzz hysterical. And I still say “Yarp” on every other occasion.

Also it makes me think that Edgar Wright hates the english country life (Hot Fuzz and World´s End especially).

I haven’t seen Anchorman (yet, but I guess I have to), I really like Will Ferrell!

When thinking about actors of comedy movies but excluding Monty Python he comes to my mind, Leslie Nielsen (e.g. Naked Gun) and Rowan Atkinson (e.g. Mr. Bean).

If you do, you will love it. And very unusually for more recent comedies it´s even likely you´ve already heard quotes from it without even knowing it.

He´s great at physical comedy but he will always be the Edmund Blackadder of at least 4 generations to me.

Did you guys watched Nielsen in Police Squad (the TV series)?

Yes actually it was repeated only a while ago, but I noticed some translation problems with a few Abbot and Costello like jokes(years and years of watching The Simpsons in german have trained me in translating back jokes that I don´t understand with the occasional “aha” effect).

1 Like

The series were even better by the movies.