Just released adventure games

Well yes, it’s a good game overall, with really amazing art.

But the writing is rather poor. Most of it is due to the poor translation, with many grammar mistakes, but not only that. It’s also the logic of what is being said that often seems off. (Some dialog options you can choose ignore what has just been said; some dialogs are dull; things like that. )

Also, the implementation feels rushed: the protagonist doesn’t seem aware of goals, doesn’t pick items that would clearly be useful; the characters don’t repeat important lines which contain clues. Many of these things could be easily fixed.

Overall the puzzles are not very good (but that’s not its fault: it’s extremely hard to have good puzzles in noncomedy games). There are a few good ones though!

(The characters also felt a bit dull, but that’s very subjective.)

5 Likes

I got the impression it might be like that from the trailer (in terms of the writing), though I’ll probably still get it to support the devs, as I like that they were trying to get that LucasArts feel.

1 Like

And coming from Seguso this is a lot :grin: I’ll buy it ASAP, although I won’t be able to play it for a while since I have many things in my backlog, but his opinion makes it jump upwards in my priority list

4 Likes

Your opinion also counts a lot to me.

2 Likes

I finally finished it and I agree with @seguso, it’s a great game. Great humor, great puzzle design, and the overall 90’s look and feel. It’s the kind of game that, had it been released in the 90’s, would probably be re remembered alongside Simon the Sorcerer.

Now, this was my idea as a player. As a gamedev, there were a few things that left me with a slightly bitter aftertaste, if you want I can tell you in private, but it’s really small stuff that doesn’t influence the overall experience :smiley: so Guga says, buy that game, it’s absolutely great.

As soon as I’m back to my home PC I’ll leave a Steam review :+1:

4 Likes

Thank you Guga for your comment and for the review you wrote on Steam. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you have any notes on things to improve, I would be very grateful if you could show them to me privately.

Interesting Visuals - they are using 3D voxels like Minecraft:

An English Haunting is out , and it’s awesome!

Very hard to have good (not excellent) puzzles in a non-comedy game. Great overall tone, well written, and atmospheric. And great art, music and sounds as well.

5 Likes

Duck Detective: The Secret Salami

4 Likes

I just released my new game - “Jeffrey In Space - Act I”.
This one has twice as many puzzles and characters as my first game, and a lot more animations and locations (Birds! Fireflies! Fire! Etc!)
Jeffrey’s dog has been kidnapped by evil forces and he has to save him.

Hopefully this is a step up from Pirate Theme Park, as I took on the feedback from @Someone @seguso @LowLevel to add improvements.

It’s available on Itch - Jeffrey In Space - Act I by FocusHillGames

Here’s the trailer -

And some screenshots -

6 Likes

OMG! Just at the right time! When there’s nothing else to play!

I’m starting it at once!

Edit: do you think it’s more of a whiskey game or a cigar game?

1 Like

Thanks!
I think it’s more of a whiskey game… and I don’t want you to miss all the painstaking animations through a cloud of smoke :laughing:

1 Like

five minutes in, I’m already cracking up :joy: :+1:

“folks in in the unknown galaxy aren’t too keen on him either”

“just in case I forget what I look like”

1 Like

I’m really loving the game, but I knew I would since I played the previous one. It’s super fun, with the difficulty really well-balanced, just like the last one. I got stuck for half an hour because I didn’t push the tree, but being stuck wasn’t frustrating, it made me curious – a sign that the game is great. The only thing I don’t like is the purple sky; I can’t really get into it with all that purple. Plus, the purple makes all the locations look kind of the same. Some of the backgrounds could use a bit of touching up, in my opinion. Now I’m in part 2, the pyramid. It’s cool to see a new section of the game open up. Overall, excellent!
PS: the shortcut key for “give” should be Z, not Y. The mouse wheel over inventory does not scroll.

1 Like

Glad you’re enjoying it!

I’ll see if I can sort out the shortcut keys and the inventory scroll for the next game… I think that’s something buried deep in the AGS code somewhere.

1 Like

I finished it in about two hours. Really fun until the end. Towards the end, you kind of feel like giving everything to everyone because most of the puzzles are based on giving. I wonder why this doesn’t happen in Lucas games. Maybe it’s because there are more hotspots compared to characters in those.

I’d like to touch up the foot of the space villain sitting on the throne (I don’t remember the name).
Send me the graphics, and I’ll fix it up for you :slight_smile: .

So, now it’s finished, what do I do? You don’t make games at a satisfactory rate. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for playing it!

Yeah, I’m going to try add more hotspot-based puzzles in the next one, kind of like how in MI1 you use items in the pot in and on the piranha poodles. I’m trying to add to my repertoire of puzzle types with each game.

Also I find when a game comes to the last few puzzles and all the areas are still accessible, it means you have this one item and loads of rooms/characters to try - I remember that happening to me in Grim Fandango on the last few puzzles in Rubacava section. I’m not sure how to get round that, maybe closing areas off as it wraps up.

The space villain’s species just has that kind of foot - odd hoofs :laughing:

This game took quite a bit longer to do than the last one, as I used a lot of img2img… I have a Wacom tablet that I sketch a lot of the general compositions with and I used Krita to colour them with a set colour palette as I wanted the planet to look relatively consistent (lots of purple! LOL). Then used those to guide the generations.
With the walk cycle I did a basic pixel art walk-cycle in Affinity with the colours I wanted, then enlarged the frames, put them in img2img to add the details, then shrunk them back down and fixed them up.

Hopefully the next won’t take as long, as I’ve done lots of the groundwork now.

2 Likes

Please no purple next time!

This is Space Quest V: set in space, but no purple whatsoever

immagine

1 Like

Nice, but needs more purple :laughing:

In the next two acts you go to two different planets and they’re completely different from each other and this first one, kind of like how lots of Star Wars planets each have a theme to them.

2 Likes

Just two weeks off and now this! :smiley:

I’ve bought the game, but I don’t know when I’m able to play it (still have to finish MI and the Flabbery thing…).

In avoid of spoilers I only had a glimpse at the other posts regarding your game. But two remarks:

I haven’t noticed the purple color. It’s just the ambient light of the planet and fits well to the atmosphere and setting (IMHO).

This time I am the annoying guy that is complaining about the price. :wink: :laughing: The first act costs 5,99 plus 1,17 VAT = 7,13 USD. For two hours it’s a little bit too high IMHO. (Will there be a discount for customers who are buying all parts? :wink: )

I’ll give you some feedback after I played it, if you like. :slight_smile:

1 Like