Monkey Island Fan translation

yes
It happens typically when you are at/around the cave in Seattle, if that is what you go for first -picking up only the bare necessities- so around 10 minutes into the game

Those Italian jokes are … weird.

So far I came up with:

1. What is the difference between a biplane and a boomerang?
    You’re sure you will see the boomerang again./ At least you’re sure the boomerang will return.
  2. What do biplanes and drunks have in common?
    They both can’t fly straight.
  3. same - about the Bermuda Shorts

It turns out it’s actually triggered by a timer which starts when arriving in Seattle the first time. I.e. it’s enough to stay at the airport and just wait.

Btw. good thing the placing of the verbs is very similar between the different languages, I can navigate the Italian version just using muscle memory!

1 Like

You are simply the best! I hadn’t the time to answer! :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Yes it’s the same in all languages because it’s a mix of Elvis Songs.

Indeed.

Btw. I made it a Wiki post so the English translation can be updated. The Google translation isn’t that bad because it makes sense at least, but the first one has a grammar error.

I don’t know, the other ones aren’t that much better either :slight_smile:

Btw. can somebody explain me the first English joke?

1 Like

Because you pronounce biplane as “bye plane”, which is both very fitting for a tour in the Bermuda Triangle and renders that joke near untranslatable.

As I am (over)explaining jokes, I also realised yesterday that the Guru’s last name is a Lady Mondegreen on the golf term “Hole in one”

No idea what the greatest hit of Razor and the Scummettes is supposed to be though…

4 Likes

Oh I see!

In case not everyone can remember his name: Guru Swami Hollawanda

1 Like

I’ve “found” one…

Actually, it is Holanwanda

and the Shaman’s name is
No more slicin’, man

3 Likes

@David, do you remember if there is any meaning behind the title of their song “Inda Glop Oda Krell” ?

I strongly believe that the translator, back then, was not so skilled. He was not as talented as Fabio Bortolotti (Kenobit), so he simply took 3 jokes, common among elementary school children.
In fact, all the game is not-so-good translated, there are mistakes, typos and nonsense.
Later, Zak McKracken came out with V.2 version, with a new translation, which fixed all the errors. But the jokes were not changed.

Anyway: how many uppercase alphabet letters can you write upside down?
All! Why not? (One could answer: only the H, I, O, S, X)

2 Likes

I would exclude S and maybe add B, C, D and E to that list.

It depends, upside down may mean:

1. Rotate the letter by 180°
  2. Mirror the letter on its X axis

If the latter, you are right.

1 Like

Matthew Kane came up with it. I asked him (again, since I’ve forgotten) and he said, “It was a mashup title of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and the Krell from the movie Forbidden Planet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krell
And this was before the word mash-up existed!”

And if you don’t know Iron Butterfly’s song, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida:

9 Likes

Thanks @Sushi and @David!
This forum still surprises me.

3 Likes

Awesome trivia! Thanks David & Matthew! Never heard of them before, but they fit in nicely with the Doors and (early) Deep Purple.

Listening to the 17-minute track, I can hear some inspiration for the Egyptian and other music in Zak. And their music is very fittingly “classified” as “occult rock” :joy:
That mysterious weird sound in the jungle must have been coming from the guitarist of Iron Butterfly all along.

4 Likes

I loved this song when it first came out… guess Matthew did as well, since he thought of it for the name of the Scummettes track.

5 Likes

We have quite a history of bad translations in the '90s…

But at least they are jokes. The French ones are just translations, the biplane one makes no sense at all.

3 Likes

Btw. the extracts above are based on the v2 editions of the games.

In a physical world “upside down” would mean a rotated or flipped object.
A page with letters would normally only be rotated so I would have gone with 1. too.
(But if you have letters made of wood flipping would also be possible.)

Btw. you forgot N. And we could also add M + W although they change their meaning.

Yes, the French translation was done without any context or testing or they didn’t bother. Both biplane ones don’t make sense, and the last one has the “short” part missing.

From this example the French version seems to be much worse than the Italian translation.