Netflix (and other VOD) recommendations

I think Better Call Saul is getting good again. It’s finally starting to loop back around to the Breaking Bad timeline.

I watched Quite a Ride last night and it’s a good one… and of course Gus speaks German!

Took me a few seconds to realise it was german, though. :grin:

And from that group that Mike has gathered not all are native speakers, clearly.

1 Like

Eh, at least it presumably actually was German. Half the time someone’s speaking “Dutch” in movies and stuff it’s actually German.

(Shout out to Friends for actually speaking Dutch!)

It was. But the pronunciation was so off I couldn´t really tell.

Is it really? Do you have any examples? Don´t think I´ve noticed that so far (in english speaking movies).

The most recent example I’ve encountered that springs to mind is in Elementary, in the episode Once You’ve Ruled Out God from a few months ago. Although to be “fair,” it wasn’t really German that they spoke either. But it was clearly “vaguely German,” as opposed to “Dutch-adjacent.” There’s bound to be a TV Tropes page with hundreds of examples.

But it’s really not remarkable enough to actually remember specifics; it’s par for the course… What is much closer to being remarkable enough to remember are proper uses of Dutch, like in Friends, Roman Holiday,[1] or that first Bourne movie.

[1] Audrey Hepburn <3<3<3 spoke fluent Dutch, but I had no idea until I saw that movie.

Latext* news.

• I finished Hannibal :hocho: :cut_of_meat:
  • The Alienist didn´t win an Emmy :neutral_face:
  • Neither did Glow :frowning:
  • Nor Twin Peaks :angry:

* Didn´t fix that typo because it made me ROFL when I saw it. :joy:

1 Like

Actually that isn’t really a typo: LaTeX is a (very common) layout/typesetting system. So your “latext” news are news that were processed with/by LaTeX. (But I missed the produced PDF file … :wink: )

:neutral_face:

That’d be latexed news, surely?

I did my bachelor’s and master’s thesis like this:

1 Like

Now you are party pooping the party pooper? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ha! Makdown is for wimps. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Pure LaTeX 2e here! :wink:

1 Like

1 Like

I did write a couple of papers in plain LaTeX to test the waters, which is exactly why I decided to go with the Markdown solution for the big one. :slight_smile:

I’ve just been alerted to Maniac, recently released on Netflix. It looks quite good.

Brief IMDb synopsis:
Two strangers are drawn to a mysterious pharmaceutical trial that will, they’re assured, with no complications or side-effects whatsoever, solve all of their problems, permanently. Things do not go as planned.

More detailed synopsis from Google

Annie Landsberg and Owen Milgrim are two strangers who are drawn to the late stages of a mysterious pharmaceutical trial. Each has a different reason for participating in the experiment – she is disaffected and aimless, fixated on broken relationships with her mother and sister, while he has struggled throughout his life with a disputed diagnosis of schizophrenia. The radical treatment, using pills that the inventor claims can repair anything about the mind, draws Annie, Owen and 10 other subjects into a three-day drug trial that they’re told will permanently solve all of their problems, with no complications or side effects. Unfortunately, things don’t go as planned.

It stars Emma Stone, Jonah Hill and Sally Fields.

Trailer (quite detailed, so avoid if you don’t want to spoil too much)

Noticed but still unsure about that. I´ll wait for what you have to say about it and/or have more time.

1 Like

The new film from director Jeremy Saulnier (Blue Ruin and Green Room, two that I both liked a lot!) is dropping on the Netflix today!

Okay I stop with the faux youth talk, but the film looks real interesting. Lots of snow and killer wolves!

grafik

1 Like

Starting today season 3 of

Man In The High Castle

Then from Monday on I will add a daily episode of American Gods Season 1.

And after that from friday on I will and an episode each day of The Haunting Of Hill House.

So that will make one episode of three shows each night. Hope I won´t get too confused. :crazy_face:

Just had a quick look at wikipedia on the state of development of American Gods season 2 and that doesn´t really look good at all(no Gillian Anderson in season 2 for starters).

However, I´m loving the trailer for Good Omens!

1 Like

That’s a shame.

If they do release another season I’ll need to rewatch the first one I think, or at least a summary of some sort.

Anyway, I will add season 1 to my nightly routine along with the Man In The High Castle starting today, since I´m through with the book now.

1 Like