Random Anecdotes

2 Likes

I already tweeted this, but since not many people follow me and I´m sure a few of you guys on here may be interested I´m linking this here (since it seems like the most fitting thread, you´ll see why):

Also, at least @kaiman will know the town I´m talking about.

3 Likes

I know the city, but none of the old cinemas. Though while we lived there, we preferred the Regina over the big movie theater chain outlet. I’ve just checked and am happy to see that one is still around :slight_smile:. Where I live now, the local art cinema had to give way to the third drugstore branch within a 500m radius (and that doesn’t even count other drugstore chains in the vicinity). They moved their film selection into the multiplex cinema, but the ambience is just not the same. Not that this year was great for movies or cinema visits in general …

1 Like

Pssht, you’re lucky @PiecesOfKate doesn’t come here much these days.

It was the end of an area in more than one way.

Thanks, fixed. I just noticed one in the first sentence even and fixed at least that. It turned out to be so long and I´m not very good at proofreading myself.

Yes that one is still around (saw Toy Story there back in 1996) as is the Garbo which is my go-to theater (Rise of Skywalker was the last movie I saw there so far and since it is only run by one guy I´m worried it may be the last, period.)

Outside of the Cinemaxx there are only two really small art theaters left which will probably survive because they are part of art galeries that get public funding.

But the Regina and Garbo are the only two of the mid range that are left after the Bavaria and the Kammer in the Maxstraße closed, followed by the Gloria which was the best by far. I haven´t been a lot to the Stali in Stadtamhof but that at least has the restaurant next to it (Klappe) still going.

1 Like

You mean the “here me out”? I could go over it with my editor’s hat on if you like, but it’s an actual homophone. :slight_smile:

I find it amusing that a large chunk of my typos is homophone based in general. I think you can tell I read it all out loud in my head at least. And that doesn´t help much.

Nice article, mr. Fahrnholz!

I really appreciated the feeling of an ending of a period for movie theaters, which is something I can relate to, my city and the nearest share a very similar story (and a theater called exactly like that, Gloria!). I also like when you go deep finding how medium and small cities lost some attractiveness and life and human connections in favour of “non-places” like the big multiplex “that looked like an airport”.
There’s just so much in that article which is not just nostalgia, but a thought about what we have lost in cities and what should be also recovered. Very very good piece.

2 Likes

Thank you, appreciate it very much! I thought it was something more people could relate to because these things happen everywhere not just were I grew up.

1 Like

And I wasn´t being hyperbolic with the Airport comparison.

This is what we lost because of that.

grafik

grafik

1 Like

You open a potential huge OT here…
No, that’s not just nostalgia. It is a serious reflection and a statement.

We should always think carefully at what we are losing forever, when we make a change.
And we must be aware of the fact that nothing is forever. And ask ourselves if what is gone for good is really gone for “good”.

I’m not saying anything original if I state that the world is incredibly changed in the last 200 years, and it won’t go back.

Do you know what scares me the most? That I mentioned the last 200 years, but -hey- take a closer look on what happened in the last 50 years. Then take another look at what happened in the last 20 years.

Now, take a deep breath, and think of the change we’ve witnessed in the last 12 months.

Frightful, isn’t it? And it is even more terrifying if you realize that, apart from those last 200 years, the world remained basically the same for thousands of years.

The truth is that movie theatres today may resemble airports, but in the fifties airports resembled movie theaters.
Just compare the pic of the hall you posted with these pics of Milan (the town) airport in the 50es:

When I went to the movies in the eighties, the population of the world was the half of today.

Take a look of another frightful chart:

Everything is going in the same direction. Global, huge, out of control.

We’ve passed the point of no-return many many years ago. Now the changes happen way faster than we can follow them. It took 30 years to convince people to recycle. And to convince them that recycling would have saved the world, and by 2040 we’d all lived in idilliac green paradises.

In the meantime, look at what happened to carb emissions:

So, today we obsessively separate plastic from paper, just as if it could make any difference.
We consider a crime throwing a plastic bottle in the waste, but we find it normal flying by plane more and more, since it now it is so cheap…

Even just surfing the internet isn’t safe:

So, let’s get prepared to lose way more than nice local movie theaters.

I’m starting to receive lots of season memes. This year’s theme is “Fu*k 2020”.

Are you sure 2021 will be better? I don’t think so.

Best wishes to you all :smirk:

4 Likes

This book might be of interest: Amazon.com

Funny, Asimov´s Foundation series also came to my mind when I read Ema´s post. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Warning label on the back of one of my first ever Audio Compact Discs (aquired in 1995, released in 1994). Let´s just say that made me initially “respect” the silvery things! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

And if you´re curious, this was the CD! The timecodes for the above listed tracks are in a top comment. But beware! :eyes:

I actually remember being scared of the slowly oncoming T-Rex and pulling out the earplugs I was listening with! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Wow… The moderator of this QAnon telegram group is called Cassie. I bet she was a DJ, back in the 80es.

1 Like