Ron declares he is working on a new Monkey Island

It’s sad to say this, but… I seriously hope this is the last Monkey Island.

This is THE Monkey Island I wanted to have. All other games we had after MI2 were cool but most of us were like “ok, but what was the story supposed to be, had Ron made the third chapter?”.

Now we’ll have the answer. I’ll be happy to say goodbye to Guybrush once and for all.

5 Likes

I agree, though I’d also happily play a Stan spin-off game if Ron made it.

3 Likes

I’d rather have two more Monkey Island games without an ending , than this one with an ending :slight_smile:

Disney is not hands-free, not sure where you’re getting your ideas!

What you mean aside from the fact that literally everyone used it? You can even see the damage in it printed onto this guy’s studio wall. :open_mouth:

You can see the damage in LeChuck’s beard is the same as on my box. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mind you Purcell deserves the real credit.

I’ll use Laserschwert’s scans

they’re extremely detailed and there are also versions without the titles, highly recommended if someone wants to make a shirt out of it

3 Likes

If that image comes from your scans, thank you for helping me creating an awesome t-shirt. :grinning:

I don’t know how free Ron was about the writing, but I know that MI3 will remain canon, as Ron said in a recent tweet:

So, it is my understanding that, despite the “All the games after Monkey Island 2 don’t exist in my Monkey Island universe.”, he had to invest time to keep MI3 canon.

For me, it really doesn’t matter if the non-gilbertian games will be canon or not, provided that MI1 + MI2 + “Return to Monkey Island” can feel as a self-contained trilogy if the player wishes so.

6 Likes

The latest one he’s using there is worse than the 2007 scan I did (for MI2 that is).

Haha “if”. I’m surprised no one ever gives any credit or emails me to tell me they’re using them. 2007 is 15 years ago! Anyway I’d suggest shifting discussion about this stuff to here.

I’d suggest to quit the discussion, rather than shifting it. Thousands of scans of that box circulate on the net, and nobody cares who did bother to do each of them. Sad but true.

4 Likes

Man, relax, we are nice people and sometimes we write just jokes.

5 Likes

Speaking of which, looks like a Pipedreams shirt in that gif!

Or he thought- this is the only way to put a stop to the constant nagging fans.

Well, we have dual joy-cons, dual shock controllers and the like now. Opens opportunities for lots of games that require precise two-handed movements.

Hear! Hear!
And gladly he’s cool about the whole copyright infringement on all these shirts, mugs, walls…
(Although… he probably doesn’t own the rights anymore… better not wake up the piranha poodles)

I like the titles actually
They feel naked without them.
I have some crappy A4 prints on plain paper.

3 Likes

I’m gonna print posters of MI1 and MI2 with the titles, but for a phone background image I’d probably go for titleless

If the game is going to be successful, Disney will want a sequel. With Ron or without him. That’s “part of the game” as all of us know. Well, if I had the choice, I would prefer Ron to be the one to continue the series after RMI.

If Ron makes sure that CoMI is canonical, I am glad. The other two sequels are not so important to me.

It can go a bunch of different ways.
Maybe there will be two endings, one leading to the beginning of Curse, the other one to a real finale, at least for the Gilbert’s trilogy.
That way, RG could conclude his trilogy while leaving an opening for Disney to make other games if they want to.
That would be a good compromise, IMO.

2 Likes

I’ve read many people talking or complaining about the art style.

I’m OK with it, considering that thirty years from now, “Return to Monkey Island - Special Edition” will sport a fancy option to display on demand a demaked pixel art style.

Jokes apart, for me nothing can beat the hand painted backgrounds of MI2. It was like playing immersed in a paint, especially during the night scenes in Woodtick.

8 Likes

Wow hold on a second - I’m not a “Trump supporter”, never have been. Trump’s a showman not a conventional politician, and IMO an appalling choice for Head of State (Head of Government he scores better on - but you can’t be judged just on one or the other). I don’t know where you get the idea I’m a Trump supporter - if from Biden criticism then that’s got nothing to do with it. You’re allowed to hate both of them if you wish. Biden will be judged in the midterms later this year, and Trump has shown no sign of slowing down. Bob Carr called Biden a “one term president”:

“Biden is likely a one-term president who will be succeeded by running mate Kamala Harris or Donald Trump returning from the polit­ical grave. If not Trump, another Trumpian Republican.”

Are you going to accuse him of being a “Trump supporter” as well?!

The worst thing about Trump IMO is that he does not believe in democratic consent. His refusal to have democratic consent is what led to the Capitol Riots.

The culture of “political supporters” in the US is completely different to the Australian culture - in Australia elections are won and lost with the swing voters in the political centre, and that forces you to govern from the centre. In the US its won and lost on turnout, and they govern from diametrically opposed policy positions.

May I make a motion to keep the political discussions out of this thread about Return to Monkey Island please?

7 Likes

I think, it’s a pity that it seems to have such a different style. Well, it wouldn’t necessarily have needed to be pixel art and it actually looks quite good, but the characters look very different somehow. At least the faces. I am curious how Guybrush looks.
On the other hand, what I see from the ship, looks great. In ToMI, the ships looked so strange and ugly, in comparison.

Are you saying you won’t re-elect governor Marley?

I have bad news for you, when there’s only one candidate, there’s only one choice.

7 Likes

They’re probably nagging him for the next sequel already. :wink: