Ron declares he is working on a new Monkey Island

How many times a day do you check the returntomonkeyisland.com website for updates?

• More than 22
  • More than 478
  • Countless times
  • Nah, Ron Gilbert told me He’d never make another Monkey Island, unless…

0 voters

Never! Stan for President!

1 Like

I think that for me it’s important to perceive a certain atmosphere, something able to convey a similar sensation of wondering and mystery that I felt when I played the original games.

If the art style is able to convey that to me, I’m good. We’ll see!

1 Like

This is possible if RTMI takes place before Monkey 3.
And it seems it will. (we know it “starts where monkey2 left off”)

But if so, they will have to reintroduce Murray as if the player never heard of him. Otherwise your condition would be violated…

1 Like

Murray? Maybe that skull is Murray’s brother. Why are we assuming it’s Murray? Only because Ron said it? Ron Gilbert told me he’d never make another monkey island, unless… oh.

1 Like

Yes, the atmosphere is everything. You need to wander around a believable and exotic setting, while you are racking your brain.

I believe what we’ve seen of the art style can support that. Because it’s by night, and night tends to be atmospheric and immersive even in stylized art. But I fear I’ll be disappointed by daytime scenes… I hope not

I disassemble it daily, hoping to find hidden content or hints not yet intended for the public.

5 Likes

The art complaints remind me of the idea of this Far Side cartoon -

We didn’t even think we’d ever be getting another Ron Gilbert Monkey Island game…
Even if Ron was drawing it all himself with crayons I’d still be excited to play it, lol.

10 Likes

Naaa. I want MY DREAM. As it was in my dream.

:laughing:

1 Like

Some thoughts about RMI…

I noticed something. Everybody referred to their dreamy entity as “MI3a”, at least until the announcement was made. Now I see people don’t use the term “MI3a” anymore. And I think can understand why.

I’ll start saying that i don’t consider COMI as MI3. I liked the game, but I’m trying to name things now.

Follow me into my head…
MI1 is Ron Gilbert’s Secret of Monkey Island.
MI2 is Ron Gilbert’s LeChuck Revenge.
MI3 is Ron Gilbert’s unconceived third chapter of the story.
COMI is COMI.
After COMI, after years, and even after ToMI, Ron indulged in imagining how a “new” Monkey Island would have been. He was clear about that: that MI would not have been the same MI he would have done in 1992 or so. This new entity is MI3a.

The fact is that nobody, except Ron, can imagine how MI3 could have been.
Conversely, everybody can imagine how MI3a could have been, since he described it very well on his blog.

One thing is clear to me: we won’t ever see MI3, and same for MI3a. That’s water under the bridge.
RMI is RMI. You can refer to it as MI3b, if you like, but please be aware that RMI is not and will never be MI3a. MI3a, along with MI3, is lost forever.

So, that’s why I won’t complain about the differences between the actual RMI and the idea of MI3 or MI3a I had in my dreams. They are 3 different games.
I can only keep on dreaming my own MI3, and -at the same time- enjoy RMI as soon as it will be available, taking it for what it is.

I’ll start a new topic if you’d like to keep on dreaming with me.

2 Likes

I’m OK with whatever Ron will create and I’m intentionally not building expectations of any kind, but I will call it “Monkey Island 3a: The Secret Revealed or your Money Back”.

4 Likes

The real question is: would what Ron Gilbert would do in '92 be good, if Ron Gilbert could do any good in '92?

1 Like

I will call it “Monkey Island 3b: The Unrevealed Secret is the Monkey on your Back”

3 Likes

At least now other people know the story/plot of the third part in the trilogy, besides Ron (the game sounds almost finished, so I assume the whole production team knows pretty much). For a while there was the risk that Ron would never tell anyone and no one else would ever find out.

This is the most important part for me.

I know that after 30 years most things would be different, but at least the general direction of the plot, especially “what the hell happened with the two main characters being siblings and children”, will be resolved in the same way.

And if not, I don’t care. I’ll just convince myself that this is what Ron had in mind also 30 years ago, and the differences are only in the general tone and some puzzles :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Unless Return to Monkey Island is actually a prequel to MI3a, and then we have to wait for that game to be made

2 Likes

Ok, that’s what I meant with my previous post: we will never know if the end of RMI will be the same end (or the same story) Ron had in mind back then (if he had one). Chances are that it won’t be the same.
So, that’s what I meant with “both MI3 and MI3a” are lost forever.

Unless you identify MI3a with TWP, which can completely make sense. But, again, we shall never know.

1 Like

Ron recently said the secret is simpler than most people expect. THE secret. So it’s the same ending. It didnt change during the years. (assuming that “ending = The secret”)

I’ve never assumed that.

I’ve always thought that “the secret” is that Monkey island is cursed, it is the door to hell, and the only way to reach it is making a potion on your ship. I was ok with that, so I was very surprised, years later, to realize that so many people were wondering what that secret could be.

4 Likes

Source, please :kissing_smiling_eyes: