Ron declares he is working on a new Monkey Island

I can’t say, but I remember Ron saying that to prepare himself to RtMI he played the first three games of the series. So I can’t exclude that the idea of symbols on Melee walls were a result of both some knowledge of voodoo culture that the developers already had and an inspiration from what they saw in Curse.

I’ve found Brr Muda!

3 Likes

Are those even the same symbols? I may be blind lol. The one that looks sort of like an eye looks similar but apart from that I don’t see it. I think we may be looking too deep into it. I don’t see much of a connection

I’ve just finished “Curse”. The last time I played it was many years ago and, despite remembering some puzzle mechanics, I enjoyed it. :slight_smile:

To enjoy it fully I had to remind myself that I shouldn’t have expected any real continuation of the more dark and mysterious themes introduced in the first two games of the series, especially in MI2. As a stand-alone game, Curse is very well crafted.

I’m glad that RtMI is made by Ron and I hope that at least some of those old topics will be addressed. :slight_smile:

And now that I’ve finished Curse to refresh my memory, Ron has my clearance to release RtMI. I apologize to all of you for keeping you waiting. Yes Ron, tomorrow will be perfect, thank you.

7 Likes

I actually replayed it recently and thought the exact same things.

I was a bit bitter about it for a while, but it’s actually a great game, just not a continuation of MI2’s ending.

So I’m so glad this game and Return (will) both exist.

1 Like

Ron is a fan of On Stranger Tides, and those symbols are referenced as early as the prologue chapter.

2 Likes

I know this is a joke but i wish it wasn’t. I think itll probably be out like a week or so after Gamescom though. So probably soon if i am right.

Are those even the same symbols? I may be blind lol. The one that looks sort of like an eye looks similar but apart from that I don’t see it. I think we may be looking too deep into it. I don’t see much of a connection

I don’t think there’s any connection between the symbols in The Curse of Monkey Island and Return to Monkey Island, beyond them both being generic voodoo symbols. In the case of The Curse of Monkey Island, the symbols were merely a bit of voodoo related symbolism, to add flavour to a cutscene. Whereas in Return to Monkey Island, I suspect that the symbols have a deeper narrative meaning. I seriously doubt that Ron Gilbert even noticed the symbols during the cutscene within The Curse of Monkey Island. There’s no connection there, as far as I’m concerned.

If nothing else, I really can’t see a tiny, minor element of a single cutscene so heavily influencing the narrative of Gilbert’s return to the series. Like he’d care that much about continuity and tying everything together in terms of the games made after his departure from LucasArts. He simply wouldn’t.

That was the other thing I had to do before the release of RtMI! Reading the book. Thanks for the reminder, I’ll ask Ron to wait a little more.

2 Likes

I read it two months ago, as preparation for RtMI. I really enjoyed it. It turned out to be way better than I had expected.

Pirates of the Caribbean took many more elements from it than Ron.

2 Likes

Confession time: i bought it some years ago, and abandoned it after maybe 50-60 pages. It was because it was to much difficult for me in english :disappointed:

But since buying an italian translation would have been too much an aknowledgement, I still have to finish it.

2 Likes

I tried to buy it in English a couple of times, but it was really difficult to get it (too expensive/ seller too far away from me/ used book, in a bad condition). Until I found a nice edition in Spanish.

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to read it in English. I read a bunch of books in English, but they were more modern. If it’s that hard, I might get it in French.

It’s expensive though. Not sure why.

2 Likes

I wish I could say I read the Don Quixote novels in Spanish. I can’t. But they’re still pretty good in translation, with footnotes.

I can make a comparison of its English and the English of Stevenson’s Treasure Island.

Treasure Island was full of both old and obscure nautical terms, which required continuous interruptions to consult a dictionary. The experience felt more like “studying” than “reading”.

This doesn’t happen to me when I read On Stranger Tides: it’s definitely written in a modern English, the reading flows pretty well and since I read it on a ebook reader that has an internal dictionary, searching the rare unknown term is instantaneous.

The digital version costed me about five euros. Try to read the prologue linked by @BaronGrackle and see how it feels to you. The story definitely starts with a kick!

2 Likes

Oh wow… maybe Ron is just pulling our leg with a controversial “It’s not canon” statement.

That sounds to me particularly interesting, considering that I’ve recently played “Curse”, where the whole porcelain affair was born. :stuck_out_tongue:

[Source]

1 Like

Ok you convinced me in buying a e-reader (I prefer paper books). Any suggestion?

“the screenshots for the trailer are ready for your approval, boss”

“ok, good. Now just add some nonsensical symbols to drive nuts that bunch of nerds”.

1 Like

I have only an old Kobo reader that now is out of production, so I’m afraid I don’t have much knowledge of what you can find today on the marker. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I was surprised too I had so many difficulties in reading a modern book in English. After all, I spend much time browsing the net in English with no problem at all. Maybe I’ll give it one more chance.

2 Likes