Ron declares he is working on a new Monkey Island

Yeah, what’s the glowing red stuff? :thinking:

It appears also on the ceiling of LeChuck’s cabin:

… and his ship seems generally full of it:

… and the other side glows green, so the ship is a giant traffic light.

1 Like

I’m actually really excited about this clip. LeChuck is one of my favorite antagonist.

This is something I though Thimbleweed Park lacked.

Uncle Chuck was… ok. He wasn’t that intimidating. His design wasn’t impressive.

I’m a bit like Tim Burton. I think great villains make great stories.

1 Like

Oh, I suspected that the character upside down was in fact Bob, because of the peg leg, but I wasn’t sure because he didn’t have the usual hat.

Dave confirmed that it’s actually Bob:

[Source]

3 Likes

But I’m confused. I zapped him 32 years ago… :wink:

3 Likes

The first thing I have noticed, it’s how accurate is the lip-sync. In a couple of minutes, @DanielWolf has twitted that Rubharb Lipsync is inside Return To Monkey Island!
Kudos!!

4 Likes

By the way, what was Bob afraid of, since he is already dead?

But where could Guybrush be spying from?

I think we need in to factor in the possibility that: LeChuck is only OCCASIONALLY frightening.

His high point was in MI2, chasing us in the tunnels. He had a pretty cool moment in MI3 when his demon form was born and he murdered those two sailors with a pan-out and scream. He got some good stuff at the end of MI5.

But none of you were afraid of him in Secret. He was ANNOYING when he blocked you from getting the ghost key, but he was pretty Saturday morning villain otherwise.

Bob answered him with sarcasm in MI1. Largo called him names behind his back in MI2. Elaine was never ever afraid of him. Sometimes, LeChuck is just a villain.

2 Likes

Devolver just tweeted this image.

The more I see of the game the more I love the style.

1 Like

That location is nice.

But it’s green.

I still hope that the guy behind the table is little GuyBrush.

My theory goes like this: the game starts where MI2 ended, so GuyBrush is a little kid. He escapes from his parents and takes the same lift that took him to the amusement park, reaching the alleyway in Melee. Then aliens arrive from the aquatic planet Zedar and kidnap Elaine, because that’s what all Monkey Island contracts require Elaine to do. So GuyBrush and LeChuck join forces and skills, respectively confusion and bad odor, and save Elaine, killing the aliens and making a giant fish soup with them. At that point the player sees Ron Gilbert waking up from a panic-induced ceiling-staring hypnotic session and the player realizes that everything happened in Ron’s mind. He swears to himself to never ever write a Monkey Island ending/plot again while under trance and he goes out for a burrito. The End. After the credits, Roberta Williams threatens the player to buy the license from Disney (because she does have both the money and the connections) and to create a sequel that will make more than 100 bucks.

3 Likes

Oh, right.

Makes sense to me.

But when does Hernando enter the scene?

3 Likes

She’s not in the cast, the Fettuccini Brothers shot her out of the canon.

5 Likes

Hm, this looks very 3D. Reminds me of Alone in the Dark.

Did I miss the AI determining the illustrious Hernando is a woman?

If I could just… play this game without looking at any of its characters…

My highest level of hype/optimism was after the first Monkey Island Monday, when they showed the Part 1 title card. And I liked it. It was nice to like everything for a little bit.

1 Like

Wow, so that’s the cook in some awkward pose on the right! I identified him after looking at this picture for a third time. I wasn’t sure what am I even looking at before. And what’s that white thing behind him? Is it floating? Is it on the floor?

1 Like

I think it’s supposed to be a cake on fire but it really is difficult to tell what things are supposed to be with the chosen art style and yes, the cake (?) appears to be floating in the air of its own volition.