Ron declares he is working on a new Monkey Island

You haven’t played MI4? I recognized that immediately. :slight_smile:

But that’s a genius solution! That could be in a lateral thinking puzzle book!

Probably that won’t be the reason in RTMI, but the fact you explained it is impressive.

I might borrow that for a game actually :slight_smile:

No… as I said elsewhere, I disliked the graphics so much that , when I got stuck, I gave up…

1 Like

Anyhow, tl;dr a landlord would board up windows except where they lived themselves for example. I can totally see L. Phatt implementing a tax policy like that to generate more money.

Oh, I liked the game perfectly fine. That’s a pretty strong reaction, heh. :wink: I think I get it; the Simpsons kinda give me that reaction for example.

That’s good news for me.

Just a few day ago I was discussing with other people this narrative habit of revealing that a familiar character in a fictional universe is connected with another familiar character.

Regardless of how uninspired or overused this kind of narrative tactic is perceived, my opinion is that it shrinks the fictional universe instead of expanding or enriching it.

I call it the “I’m your father” syndrome.

The only time I don’t perceive it as a cheap idea is when it’s intentionally used as parody, like in the ending of Monkey Island 2.

3 Likes

even worse if it’s a relative of another character.
(a-hem, star wars, cough)

On a tangent… the best puzzles are those that explain uncommon human behavior. A lot of that in Agatha Christie. It’s a pity traditional adventure game UIs don’t allow that…

1 Like

I completely agree that having previously known characters revealed to be family relations to the protagonist only serves to shrink and diminish a fictional world. It just makes the world seem that much smaller. I also agree that pretty much the only time I like those kind of reveals nowadays is when they’re used as a parody of the trope. My favourite parody of the Darth Vader reveal was in series X of Red Dwarf, where the line “Arnold, I am NOT your Father” is delivered by Rimmer Sr.

This is hilarious! :joy:

The new article answers the question about creative freedom: Lucasfilm did give some feedback , but allowed Ron to make exactly the game he wanted to make. Great.

The presence of a casual mode is a very good sign. It means the game will be hard! Yay! (Some mixed signals about this from Dave: he said that it won’t be as hard as it was back then. Then again, it seems he is only talking about the unfair part.) Everything they said is compatible with RTMI being as hard as TWP!

6 Likes

Yes, the interview got me excited as well.
It’s awesome that he had creative control.
Also, I’m intrigued about Guybrush’s new career… I think it’s great if the game is a bit autobiographical. It means that it will be something personal.
I have a very good feeling about this.
I feel like it will be exactly the game he wanted to make. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe Guybrush will be depicted as a sexagenarian game developer!

4 Likes

My spies in Ron’s team have revealed to me that when players will select both the casual mode and the hint system, they’ll be simply redirected to a playthrough video on YouTube.

6 Likes

Ron says on Twitter that Murray is not the hint System. :slightly_smiling_face:

:joy:

Well, actually…

https://twitter.com/grumpygamer/status/1517626614296633345?s=20&t=5Q899Q467vgn1N1xD9sQKg

2 Likes

The ship is LeChuck’s in the teaser.

“the first one we did as fresh designers starting out on a new career is about Guybrush starting out on a new career.”

“My name’s Guybrush Threepwood and I want to be a flooring inspector.”

LOOK at FLOOR

“Nice floor.”

3 Likes

In regards to the in-game hint system; I’m happy to have such a feature within the game but only if it’s entirely optional. I thought that Thimbleweed Park handled that aspect extremely well. Here’s hoping that the hint system is similarly integrated within Return to Monkey Island.

the hint system will be like in TWP, optional but integrated with the world. The interview is clear on that.

Still unclear if the hint system will be Murray. That would be nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, that wouldn’t :stuck_out_tongue: I’d spend time talking with Murray just because I expect funny exchanges, I don’t want to end up getting unwanted hints.

4 Likes