Ron declares he is working on a new Monkey Island

oh that´s how it came to it ^^

The comments are just wonderfull

2 Likes

Honestly thought it was never going to happen. Even with Ron’s hatred of April Fools, I didn’t think he could be telling the truth. Then, I was busy today and saw drips and drabs and just assumed people were screwing around.

But this isn’t a dream! This is really happening!

3 Likes

I totally respect you on this as I’ve seen a couple of others who feel very skeptical about the artwork (and missing 8-bit). But then again I would personally wait until the game launches “then” I can comment on the art haha. I suppose I’m just too happy Monkey Island is back and that’s just about enough for now.

3 Likes

That’s promissing.

For the graphics, yes I’d love to see pixel art as well. On the other hand, he needs it to be widely successfull and maybe therefore it will be different. But anyways even if I consider part 1 and 2 as the real Monkey Islands too and even if it didn’t catch up on them and wasn’t from Ron, I enjoyed Curse of Monkey Island on it’s own too. back then.

So since I expect it to have the great humor and to follow the story of the originals I’m fine with a different style. I mean just to get it is a dream, I’m not going to nitpik on details :smiley:

8 Likes

about the different style I think he had to reach an agreement with Disney.
in the end Disney wants to make money out of it.

Right after TWP , Ron said in this very forum the next one would not be pixel art, but as modern as possible

3 Likes

mistake, corrected

I believe Ron wants to innovate, like he did in the early '90s.
So, a detailed, brand-new interface.
I expect things that we, humans, are unable to imagine.

6 Likes

Wow… It will take a few days or weeks until I’m able to believe it entirely. Unbelievable!

4 Likes

of course I am waiting for the final… :slight_smile: “art skeptically” based on teaser :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dont think its about any artists, its about art decisions or art directors that have responsibility for whole project.

2 Likes

Return to Money Island

6 Likes

Probably at some point, Ron had to make serious negotiations with Disney to get Monkey Island back. Win-Win for both parties, I suppose. #Theory

I for one would like that. As much as I like pixel art, a lot of the modern “old-school” point & click adventures use that aesthetic and it starts to grow a bit old, lately.

Given that even MI2 didn’t really have the same art style as MI1, and that by now over 30 years have passed, I’d be totally on board with MI3a looking different yet again. And compared to the bright cartoon-y look of MI3 or the badly aged 3D of MI4, what’s shown in the trailer is actually not that bad.

Kinda curious to see some actual screenshots, though. The trailer might or might not show the real thing after all (though I would not be surprised if it has been created in-engine) …

6 Likes

I am very happy as well. Can’t believe it. I was happy all day today! I like the art style. After all it’s a game Ron designed, so it can’t feel bad for me, I guess. I also liked The Cave a lot, even though the art style was different.

1 Like

I just wish the graphics and the sound will support the story, and the interface will support the gameplay.

2 Likes

I like the art style - it’s simple and not overly cluttered and also captures the general vibe and atmosphere of the first two games.

I think any high-res 2D stuff like this will always have a bit of “flash animation” feel to it that can be off-putting, but overall this looks like a nice update on the classic Monkey Island style.

4 Likes

Nice fan art / “demake” of the RTMI trailer scene found on Twitter.

13 Likes

Things I noticed in the trailer:
There are female ghost pirates now (finally)
Although they look like the ones in the first game, they are blue flame ghosts now
The return of Seagull ™ courtesy of Loom ™

6 Likes

If I’m not misremembering, he also said his next adventure game would have pixels so sharp, they would make you bleed.

I believe both version. RtMI will have a modern look + pixel art, like the MI1/ MI2 remakes =)

The truth is: I’m too happy and excited about MI3a. I trust it will be great!

1 Like