Seguso's Adventure Game Thread

Yes and no. :wink:

Have a look at the blue heaven and the roofs: All roofs are clearly separated from the blue heaven. If you would use real water colors, the red and green colors would more mix and merge with the blue in the heaven. And there wouldn’t be such exact lines. :thinking:

I guess most people expect from water color pictures like this:

even if you can paint exact lines like in your picture.

I see…

otoh, I wouldn’t like to play an adventure game with that background… it’s too stylized. I don’t know.

I mean, having part of the background with such low detail is fine in art, but as a game I’m not sure…

You should stick with your version. :slight_smile:

Let me stick with it for now, but with the added blur. And let’s see what happens in motion :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the lack of emphasis makes it feel a bit flat. Didn’t @milanfahrnholz post a big rant article about that in recolored comics?

are you talking about the one that Someone posted, or mine?

I found a different watercolor style here:

That’s more literal. It would work great in an adventure game :slight_smile:
I’ll try to copy that. Maybe I’ll learn something :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yours. Your farm picture there has detail in the barn and less in the background, which is one way of drawing the eye there. @Someone’s picture displays the same technique.

I think I get the principle. In a scene from above , where you can walk everywhere, it’s difficult to apply, though. It would be weird to walk next to a tree with such little detail… if my game was isometric, everything would have to be detailed. I 'll try to employ that principle in other rooms.

I don´t remember that, but I can see what you mean I may have refered to something similar.

This didn’t come from you? I seem to have associated it with you in my mind somehow. xD

2 Likes

Haha, I think I know why. I brought up this particular panel a couple of times here.

But the version I read isn´t the right hand one so I got no reason to complain. I prefer the original too but also because I prefer that less shaded style in general because that is what comics looked like when I was growing up (the latter seems to be kinda the standard these days, The Boys looked like this from the beginning).

I however have a few ones that were originally in black and white that were coloured later and somehow always prefer the coloured version (unless it´s something like Maus. Never colour Maus).

1 Like

How about now? :slight_smile:

I definitely like it. :slight_smile:

Good! I found a good painting program, it’s called ArtRage. It was painful to paint with photoshop, now it’s fun. Recommended!

1 Like

Hooray! :slight_smile:

Makes sense, something like Krita or ArtRage is made for it. On Photoshop it’s effectively a later addition. Supposedly it works great but unlike Krita I could never quite figure it out.

Krita doesn’t mix colors like this , AFAIK

I wish it did…

I also tried Rebelle and Fresco. Rebelle comes close, but has a strange pressure-sensitive way of mixing. Fresco is very cumbersome to change the mixing amount and pick colors, and the brushes look very fuzzy.

the photoshop mixer brush is nothing like this, also.

1 Like

Looks the same as Color Smudge Brush Engine — Krita Manual 4.4.0 documentation but I might be missing something.

But I wasn’t suggesting you use Krita instead of ArtRage. I was simply agreeing that Photoshop seems a bit harder to use for this purpose.

1 Like

More or less final version:

5 Likes

Dracula’s butler’s room, remade with the new style:
Imgur

3 Likes

The lack of news to discuss on RtMI lead me to post the latest backgrounds for my game (I’ve switched to pixel art lately)

8 Likes