Social Media: the devil?

That´s some fine moustache company to be in, right?

1 Like

That may be, but Twitter seldom to never tells me about Wil Wheaton’s tweets, just about the only celeb I actually follow. I think the rest is just some kind of weird inference based on Wil Wheaton.

:+1::+1:

2 Likes

I have a rookie question. What is the best way to use Twitter? I check it only every couple of weeks and am usually put off by the chaos that is greeting me. There’s the “in case you missed it”, which is incoherent ramblings without context.

You can turn that off in the settings (Notifications > Push notifications).

Edit: actually, just realised that’s not quite what you meant. You can probably turn that off too though? I’ll have a look when I’m not cough working.

Also I follow a lot of people, so I set alerts for some specific people who I don’t want to miss stuff from. Other times I just browse through like you would a news feed.

1 Like

Ron’s way.

4 Likes

I used to scroll down until I I saw everything. But these days I notice I miss a lot of stuff when I don´t do that. Even from people I don´t want to miss anything from.

In other news, my followers are exlplooooooding at the moment, what do these strangers expect from me now?!

1 Like

You mean the opposite?

No, I just stopped scrolling down first thing in the morning when appearently everybody made their contributions already. Sometimes I look at individual feeds just to notice they said something I never noticed.

And I guess some other people miss stuff from me to, so I´m thinking sometimes of retweeting myself or some ICYMI stuff.

I mean you don’t miss lots of when you don’t scroll down?
So you just read the top post or something?

Retweets and ICYMI (had to google that) are exactly the things I dislike about Twitter. You just read the same thing again… (like a bunch of broken records) and you need to trace to the original tweet to like or reply to that instead of the retweet?

When I first open twitter at the beginning of the day I usually don´t scroll down anymore to see what happened in the last 6+ hours. And I just read that is there and gets added from then on.

I don´t think you have to, you only click the link to it.

Anyway, german Twitter is just exploding with nastiness at the moment.

Like watching a pot of water boil?
I guess I don’t follow enough/interesting accounts then… :slight_smile:

It really depends on who you follow. Your feed is only as good as you make it yourself. I can look at Simpsons quotes every day or cool scifi illustrations, or just people whose work I like and then you are among the first people to know that Picard is coming back getting it straight from the englishman playing a frenchman´s mouth. And also just regular news of course.

Also the people I know personally like from here or other websites/forums. And if I read the regular news they mostly quote twitter these days anyway so you usually read it there first.

That’s some poor quality news then!
When a news article is clearly just retelling or padding a tweet or whatever other social media thing, I just close it and read something else.

So how do you find the interesting accounts then? I bet there are hundreds of Simpsons related ones (just to give an example) and the official channel isn’t necessarily the most interesting (like AC/DC for example)

You really have to try that for yourself. I think authors can be quite entertaining, like Neil Gaiman (who also replies to most what you ask him, if you do it at the right time) some news outlets alert you via updates.

Really the main reason why I started using twitter was because I realised how out of date many RSS Feeds where and Twitter was much faster at telling me about updates. I found out about blog posts on the TwP Development faster via Ron´s twitter than via the e-mail.

1 Like

In spite of my William Shatner issues I’ve long since come to the conclusion that the best way to Twitter is exactly to just stick to the auto-generated summary e-mails. Do anything else and you’ll waste more than 10 seconds a day.

Then there’s the irregular visit to Twitter itself, which today served me important stuff like this on top in spite of dozens if not hundreds of new other tweets being available in the meantime (not irony):

https://twitter.com/clawfinger_net/status/1028766748751941636

There’s no way to use Twitter without depending on the algorithm.

Of course I already knew about that through the much superior YouTube but Twitter doesn’t know that.

I feel like Twitter was more usable about a decade ago, though…

Screenshot_2018-08-15_12-04-25

Also, Twitter is utterly unusable on mobile. It just pops up some nonsense about apps and logging in. Like Reddit they’re just chasing me away with horrible UX.

Which is good for me, because it’s too easy to waste time on those places.

I’ve found a lot based on suggestions that are based on who I follow already. And from interesting accounts my followees follow.

Same here. I found out about @41strange through :point_up: and wouldn´t wanna miss it.

1 Like