Space Quest: Captain M. Funkloch's Adventures In Space šŸš€

CaptainĀ“s Log Stardate SD201811,22 Captain M. Funkloch.

Today I got hold of my new ship at a space harbour with the old timey name ā€œGOGā€.
The coordinates saved in its main computer promise me three quest to undergo with my new Partner Roger Wilco who I have been assigned to command. I hope we will not only become collegues but good friends.

I have also installed an AI called @PiecesOfKate Bot who I can ask for advice whenever Wilco gets himself into too much trouble.

IĀ“m looking forward to dive into Space Quest 1: The Sarien Encounter

Captain Out.

(Hell yeah, do I plan to continue to write in this style!)

3 Likes

CaptainĀ“s Log supplemental

Wilco got himself shot by alien intruders when all he wanted to do was get to know his new environment.

I connected him to shipĀ“s revitalisation system and expect him back in good health and at the place where we left off soon. Luckily I can do this indefinitely (or at least until I decide to quit this job).

Captain Out.

4 Likes

:joy:

And so it begins :grin:

Did you get to put your name in at the beginning like in the original? Or are you automatically Roger?

Also check out boss mode if thatā€™s preserved too!

ItĀ“s a clever name I put exactly 5 seconds of thought into! I hope you can appreciate its meaning and reference.

I got to put in the name. Also the parser of SCUMMVM is a bit weird in that I enter the text on a numpad with the mouse, so I only can read the correct word once I put in all letters.

Only thing I could modify so far was the game speed, which made walking less of a chore but the enemies way more hazardous!

1 Like

(also at the moment everything keeps going :boom: everytime I try to do something. :smirk: )

It just made me laugh as a funny play on your name.

Now Iā€™ve looked it up - as in dead zone?

I was going to suggest that too, for the giggles :smile:

Itā€™s handy to slow that down for treacherous stairs, mind you.

In the game or your house?

Yeah, thatĀ“s our word for it. In reference to Roger and Wilco being both expressions from radio operator lingo I choose this to represent cluelessness (while also being a play on my name).

IĀ“m just gonna tell the truth and say the game because I canĀ“t think of a funny remark about my house at the moment.

IĀ“m in a room where I can open some kind of display case by pushing one of two buttons which is next to a room I keep running into the door while getting a witty Karl Malden nose joke.

No idea what opening that thing did or if IĀ“m meant to retrieve a keycard from one of the corpses.

That pressure is killing me, I keep running out of time and the ship blows up! :sweat:

1 Like

Can you say a bit more about whatā€™s happened already so I donā€™t spoil anything?

I listened to the words of the dying scientist that came running towards me and then I got lucky to get anywhere without getting shot. That is all really. No items picked up yet, at all.

Maybe IĀ“d be advisible to start from scratch if I have to do too much and the timer is too close to zero and the ship blowing up?

Aha, thatā€™s the bit I wanted to check :slightly_smiling_face: (might want to spoiler tag if Sushiā€™s still going to play it)

Iā€™m a little bit confused about that display cabinet. Is that definitely what it is?

Yes, possibly.

1 Like

Yeah, sure!

No, IĀ“m not really sure what it is actually. But I opened it!

Okay, hm. My memory of that bit is fuzzy! Iā€™ll check against a walkthrough tomorrow and help ya a bit more. Think Iā€™m going to enjoy revisiting this :slightly_smiling_face:

Cool thanks. And I make sure to keep in ā€œSpacelogā€ style when I have a question first time of the day. Or if I screenshot something funny.

1 Like

Was the cabinet in the room where the scientist died? Try looking at the screen.

Also occurred to me, just in general - itā€™s a good idea when you enter a new room to type ā€˜lookā€™ - I found that really helpful when I replayed them!

Also make sure you type a swearword at least once, for the humour. Iā€™ll let you know about other funny things when you get to them.

1 Like

Prepare to die. Often. Muahahahahahaā€¦

Non-Spoiler-Tip: AFAIR everything happens in the exact same way after a restart. And the most annoying part in SQ1 is that first sequence in the ship. Itā€™s getting better (and funnier) after that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just clicked on the thread due to the rocket, but now, I feel like Iā€™m the wrong universe.

1 Like

So to recap. The ship so far has three floors I can access. In the first floor There is the dead scientist and the computer console I can look at also I broom closet I can stumble into an hide but it seems to loop (as it happens, I know that from the first KingĀ“s Quest) on the second floor I can reach an elevator down to the third floor that takes me to yet another big room where I first have to hide before I can move on then there is this control room with that thing that opens when I push the open button. Then there is a small room with a closed elevator where there is another corpse and a console.

Yeah, I always type ā€œlook roomā€ when I reach an interesting place.

This was bound to happen anyway!

You know IĀ“ve been thinking that actually once you have played through these games and know how to finish them properly. Finding all the possible ways to die could actually be a nice way to have some replay value.

2 Likes

:grinning:

Definitely. Thereā€™s also a website somewhere that documents them all ā€“ itā€™s quite amusing!

I can think of one for SQ2 thatā€™s probably the most unfair. I may give you a hint around that point!

Let me know when you want another hint (did you look at the screen?)

1 Like

I think I did but donĀ“t remember gathering much useful from it? That canĀ“t be right, the way you make it sound.

I might be getting my consoles mixed up. Or you might need to do something else first.

Tell me about these corpses again.