Tell me your dreams

There are several things that you cannot do in a dream that you can try in order to make it lucid. Like flipping a lightswitch or reading a clock or reading in general.

It´s all in this little philsophical excursion of a film:

2 Likes

And I’ve heard that if you find a “solution” for a nightmare (for example imagine an exit in a house) you take this solution into the dream where the nightmare goes away. So maybe Guga would be able to eliminate his nightmare if he makes an adventure or writes a novel about it?

Oooh, I remembered another recurring dream. In this dream, I can breathe underwater. I spend the whole dream just swimming. It’s cozy as *beep* and I always wake up very refreshed and with a big smile on my face :smiley:

3 Likes

1 Like

Argh! I can’t keep up and there’s so much I want to say… Do any of you have jobs?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I work as a software developer.

It means that most of my time I’m browsing the Internet while waiting for my code to compile, my plugins to load, my tests to execute.

In fact, I’m way more active during working hours than when I’m at home, because my daughters monopolize my time :stuck_out_tongue: so I won’t be writing much for the next few days, you’ll have time.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I did that yesterday, so I guess this is the fallout :wink:

1 Like

Right, lunchtime.

So is that one a happy dream where you always resolve the problem?

Interesting… apart from surprised, how did it make you feel that she knew that? Did it make you feel uneasy, or pleased? Or nothing in particular?

Well the shaving cream shows that you do have potential. Try pretending you’re about to fly in real life (within reason – no jumping from big heights!) – do that a few times then you’ll know how to ‘start’ in your dream, but it should go further. That works sometimes. It’s just about getting past the block. I flew in one of my dreams and it was great. My dad (who passed away) was there and was helping me. It was very intense and I felt so emotional when I woke up.

I’ve not heard that before. If you can’t do it in a dream how do you make it lucid?

I know that various things will help you know you’re awake (lots of lucid dreaming means sometimes you can’t tell the difference!) – I used to say out loud five times, ‘I’m not dreaming’, because I would never do that in a dream, therefore it confirms I’m awake. But eventually my brain tricked me again and let me do it in dreams too, argh! So you have to keep switching about.

Maybe… or maybe your brain just replaces it with something more sinister [dramatic music] I guess it depends why you’re having that nightmare in the first place.

Right, I think I’ve caught up now! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve remembered I have some Audible credits, so I’m purchasing Why we sleep: The New Science of Sleep and Dreams. It looks really interesting, and current, exploring why we sleep and why we (need to) dream. I have my own theories but it’ll be interesting to see what the latest experts believe.

That´s pretty much what tells you that you´re in a dream because you know you could do that in real life. If you flip the switch and nothing changes or if you look at the clock and all you see is gibberish that might raise your awareness of dreaming. I remember literally shouting “ha, this is a dream!” once in a while and then jumping real high etc.

1 Like

Are you sure? If we assume that one writes a novel, the development and work with the story is such intense that the new story in the book replaces the old nightmare. I’ve had this experience myself (but in a different way).

That are…? :slight_smile:

Maybe sometimes, but only for dreams that are literal. For example if I dream about my teeth falling out because I’m worried about moving house, writing a story about teeth probably won’t stop those nightmares. If I wrote about moving house it might. But you’d have to know what the dream was representing.

That’s what I mean about it depending on why those dreams or nightmares are happening in the first place.

That’ll take too long to write out :wink: I had a sudden thought that we’d talked about dreams a lot before, then remembered it was in these posts.

2 Likes

Perplexed. My wife doesn’t like sports - and actually hates the fact that I remember every single useless info about football while I keep forgetting more important stuff like paying the bills in time or where we store the different kitchen appliances - so having her saying a correct and not so trivial information about football felt just strange.

Today I had an interesting dream. I had to replace the bass player of a band for some contest / concert / whatever, and I wanted to show off a bit to make sure they weren’t disappointed in choosing me as a replacement. But they were nevertheless, because I played “too much”, and they wanted me to play just the basic bass line in what turned out to be the most boring song ever. I promise to follow the score precisely, but ask them to jam some other song so I can have some fun before we begin the concert.

And they begin to play the theme from Monkey Island 2. I remember being worried because while I know by heart the bass line from that song, I never played it, so I improvised, and I happened to play almost perfectly, which is something new in my dreams - I usually fail the simplest task.

It was very fun.

1 Like

I think that dream meant that you finally feel confident and it´s time to move into the spotlight, do what you love and be bitchin´ famous!

What did you get wrong?!

See that’s really interesting. It really adds something having that context (it’s usually more about how you feel in dreams than what actually happens). I reckon that’s a sign that you’ve been, or expect to be, in an unfamiliar or unpredictable situation. Not with your wife – your brain’s just using her to symbolise it :wink:

Also:

:joy:

I have a lot of dreams where I’m required to do something technical and can’t quite get it right.

I like how your brain plucked out something familiar (MI2) and yet difficult. This seems similar in theme to the other dream – something you like doing (oops, poor choice of words!) is having unexpected outcomes – but in both scenarios it’s not a particularly unwelcome feeling, and in the latter one you even fixed it (‘almost’). Maybe it’s about adapting, then. Are you about to do something that requires adapting or doing things differently to what you’re used to?

My mum used to have an amusing recurring dream where she couldn’t walk properly but needed to get somewhere, and the only way she could get there was by running backwards. I’ve always thought that’s a classic ‘try it a different way’ message from the brain.

Solved! No need for me anymore!

1 Like

Well, I am two months into my new job and I’m still not used to the language, the environment and all other practices. So, it might be that.

Now that I think about it, it isn’t the first time I dream that I have to play a song I know but for which I don’t know the score.

:laughing:

1 Like

This is a common pattern. In a lot of cases the origin of such dreams is a (slight) fear (maybe in your subconscious). For example the fear that you won’t play the right notes in front of a audience, the fear to fail in an exam or the fear that you aren’t be able to operate a technical thing. The good news is, that your brain tries to find a “solution” or a way out of this fear - and the dream shows you this solution. :slight_smile: For example: Just play the notes, just make the exam (because you can do it several month later again), just try to use the technical instrument or walk backwards. The latter solution shows a problem that could arise: The brain can find a solution that won’t work in reality. :slight_smile:

AFAIK especially women have the recurring dream to search a friend/family member or to have to get to a specific place where these friends are. The base/trigger is often the fear of being alone/left behind. So I would more guess that walking backwards is the “solution” to overcome that fear.

What have you made in these dreams? Have you just started to play the song?

1 Like