Tell me your dreams

Yes… since it’s happened also in real life :stuck_out_tongue: sometimes I forgot to study a song and I had to improvise and understand the song while the rest of the band was rehearsing.

Fortunately it never happened during a gig, only in rehearsals.

Maybe, but I still think a lot of dreams scenarios aren’t literal. The feelings might be what you’re experiencing in real life but the situation itself is represented differently. I still dream about being late for exams but I don’t do exams anymore, so it must be about something else.

But a lot of dreams involve ‘fixing’ these kinds of problems, so maybe it is therapeutic somehow.

Really? I didn’t know that was more common in women.

Yes, but that doesn’t matter because your brain tries to find a solution for that negative feeling. Beside that, the situations in your dreams are similar to the situations in real life. In your dream your brain is constructing a similar situation to try different/a concrete solutions. If that solution doesn’t work, it is likely a nightmare. If the solution works, it might be a good dream.

Why? The fear is still in your brain and/or your subconscious. So your brain still comes back to that fear until you get completely rid of it.

There was a somnologist in a German talk show some time ago telling that this is the case. I assume that there are studies. But after discussing that topic with other women I guess it is true. (The somnologist told also what men are dreaming, but I can’t remember that.)

Oh yeah, I see what you mean. So maybe it’s a way of trying to make us feel better even if not solving the problem directly.

But that fear should’ve been resolved when I attended the exam, on time.

That’s interesting, I’ll have to read more about that :slightly_smiling_face:

Not the general fear about exams.

And if you ever had only one time a fear about an exam, this fear could be that big that it is still present in your subconscious. If you have another exam in the future, that fear could be there again.

A fear of being late, maybe. Which is funny as its a pretty realised one, haha.

In my most recurrent dream, I can fly. Or, better, I fall from very high heights with no harm, just as like as I drank a green potion. It’s a beautiful sensation, but it has a bitter aftertaste when I realize I was dreaming again and real life is different.

I hear a good way to make your dreams more intense is eating cheese before going to sleep. It´s actually so well known that Little Nemo in Slumberland (which always ends with Nemo dropping out of bed awake in his bed and his mother scolding him) sometimes ends with his mother shouting “did you eat cheese again before going to bed?”

I think I can confirm that. Often when I had cheese I had very fast, intense dreams that I could remember after waking up. Also I think the few times I had lucid dreams it was always after having something with cheese in the evening. I even seem to remember once saying in a very realistic dream “I did not have any cheese tonight, why is this happening?”

I can´t explain why that is, but it might work if you try to dream more vividly.

Is what I just said true or am I trying to get @PiecesOfKate to eat a lot of cheese? You decide!

2 Likes

Watch out, some green potions flip the screen.

3 Likes

I already eat lots of cheese but I’d happily eat more :wink:

I always assumed the cheese thing was a bit of a myth. But then maybe I wouldn’t notice because… I refer you back to my first sentence.

Plus that opinion makes me a bit of a hypocrite since I once wrote X-Files fanfic based on that very premise :open_mouth:

1 Like

There is that fear that your dreams end up being more fun than your waking life. But that’s okay because we can all upload ourselves to the matrix innit.

1 Like

I don’t remember much today, but I remember I entered some kind of dark cave populated by monsters. I wasn’t scared, I just knew that those purple/green elongated… things were basically the humans of that world. After a while, it started to look like a club, with the darkness and the neon colors. I stumbled upon an electric guitar. I picked it up and started playing ACDC’s You shook me all night long, everyone started dancing and having fun.

3 Likes

Before you ask: no, they weren’t tentacles.

I think I had a lot of dreams tonight. But I really can´t squeeze out any details anymore. Having the light sleep that I have it´s 100nds of different short vignettes that don´t make any sense at all. Sometimes I wish I could faithfully reproduce those interesting landscapes I sometimes find myself in, though. I wonder where my mind gets them from, because I´ve never seen anything like them in real life.

Maybe it is like in Lovecraft´s Dream Cycle stories and it is an actual plane of existance that only certain people can access via their dreams and even meet and help each other out like in Nightmare On Elm Street 3 The Dream Warriors? :exploding_head:

I have frequently wondered if the majority of mankind ever pause to reflect upon the occasionally titanic significance of dreams, and of the obscure world to which they belong. Whilst the greater number of our nocturnal visions are perhaps no more than faint and fantastic reflections of our waking experiences—Freud to the contrary with his puerile symbolism—there are still a certain remainder whose immundane and ethereal character permits of no ordinary interpretation, and whose vaguely exciting and disquieting effect suggests possible minute glimpses into a sphere of mental existence no less important than physical life, yet separated from that life by an all but impassable barrier. From my experience I cannot doubt but that man, when lost to terrestrial consciousness, is indeed sojourning in another and uncorporeal life of far different nature from the life we know; and of which only the slightest and most indistinct memories linger after waking. From those blurred and fragmentary memories we may infer much, yet prove little. We may guess that in dreams life, matter, and vitality, as the earth knows such things, are not necessarily constant; and that time and space do not exist as our waking selves comprehend them. Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.

H.P. Lovecraft - Beyond The Wall Of Sleep

Placebo effect: If you get told that eating cheese leads to strange/more intensive dreams, your brain believes that and dreams strange things/more intensive.

Possible, but I think I learned about that only after noticing that appearent consistence myself.

Either the “23” effect: If somebody tells you that, for example, 23 is a magical number, you recall where you have seen the 23 in the past (and you see this number more often in the future). Your brain tries to validate the “fact” that 23 is a magical number and will have success with that, because it concentrates on the 23.

Or the “black cat” effect: If a black cat crosses the street right before you and you stumble afterwards, you connect that misfortune with the cat - the cat must have given you bad luck. (Your brain doesn’t remember that you wear old shoes because the black cat is more present.) Same with the cheese: If you dream more intense, you try to recall what might have lead to this. You have eaten a lot of cheese right before bedtime, so this must be the obvious explanation. With this quick solution you eliminate all other possibilities instantly - for example that a car/airplane disrupted your REM phase.

I know both of those and they make perfect sense. A lot more than certain kinds of foods having any significant effects on your brain functions (most of all causing hyperactivity).

I think people more often than they realise make false connections retroactively.

And if you have a certain confirmation bias you can always lead something back to something you want it to lead to (conciously or unconciously) excluding all other evidence.

1 Like

Yep. That’s how fake news are working. :slight_smile:

Don’t eat too much sugar!

I think something that´s worth looking at in that context is the so called Mandela Effect with it´s terribly ignorant and potentially racist name, that basically allow you to never be wrong and just say “if you have other fact than me, then we´re just living in different realities, but in mine I am right!”

I will rant a bit about that when the corresponding X-Files episode was on.

grafik

2 Likes