The 2018 what are we playing thread

I feel exactly the same! That’s why I don’t mind not trying to keep up with the latest trends, I still have such a pile of things to go through. If only it wasn’t so much fun hanging out here every night, I could spend more regular times on reading/gaming/movie-ing/…, like a fixed night a week…

@someone, say something cheerful now

1 Like

I gave up on long lists years ago. Though I think I managed to get through quite a lot of “classics” in their respective fields. Nowadays I just give in to what really intrigues me at the moment and recommendations come on the backburner for times I have no idea what to pursue next.

Only now I am seriously delving into certain kinds of music that lots of my friends where into way back. And now that I´m not in touch with them anymore I could talk to them about it.

Sorry, really couldn´t think of something more cheery.

1 Like

Aw, sorry. Before the edit, or just in general?

Oh, I see. I thought he meant it like ‘tomorrow’s a new day!’ I’m working from home anyway, so not so bad.

I saw it before the edit but it´s nice you recognized it yourself. There´s just too much death in my life lately…

Is there some sort of schedule when you do that and when you don´t?

I haven’t played the KQ series too. Next forum “play together” after Zak? :wink:

1 Like

The weirdest thing about KQ1 and that really f-ed with my orientation is that the map seems to infinitly loop. Meaning when you leave the most northern part towards north you come out in the south. Same with east and west. I found that uniquely confusing.

2 Likes

They never appealed to me. I played around with King’s Quest a little out of historical curiosity, but unlike Maniac Mansion it didn’t exactly seem to hold up as a game. (To be fair, it’s a few years older.) The tl;dr is that my impression is that it’s a game that was once impressive solely for its graphics — or perhaps the fact that it had graphics.

Also, Wizard and the Princess isn’t on GOG.

2 Likes

I find the remastered KQ1 is still fun… but only for about 5-10 minutes before I realize life is too short to be frustrated on purpose by a game and that stupid theiving dwarf appearing out of nowhere. I might finish it with a walkthrough sometime just for nostalgia.

Agreed, the LucasFilm games really spoiled us.

1 Like

The worst thing is when you have to do a timed jump from an elevated spot to clutch onto an eagle that sometimes flys by.

2 Likes

Brgl!

3 Likes

Cheer-ful not vowel-less!

2 Likes

Eeeeiiiii! Ey ey ey ! Ooooooo! Oooraaaaah!

2 Likes

4 Likes

Full disclosure: I never watched Happy Days.

1 Like

I know, and sorry to bring that up for you again. I think I’m subconsciously in that frame of mind because we visited my dad’s site at the crematorium today. He died when I was 17 - old enough to feel it but too young to process it. I still don’t know how to do that.

Sorry, too much info and not really helping with advancing to a cheerier theme! You guys just make it easy to share.

It’s a good afternoon for getting lost in a new game methinks, and hopefully fun for those observing or giving hints, too :nerd_face:

Usually every Monday, but sometimes I switch it.

I’d definitely be up for that :slightly_smiling_face:

The map was an issue for me, too. Maybe that explains why. I assumed I’m just so shit at navigation in real life that this was just a part of that.

Maybe more for that reason. I just like the simple gameplay (gameplay, not puzzles, which aren’t that simple). I also like the freedom of text parsers though I don’t think that’s common…

3 Likes

Then we just have to convince all other members of this forum to play the KQ games. :wink:

1 Like

:cry:
:hugs:

2 Likes

I’ve started playing!

Epic intro and funky music. I like the dream sequence :smile: I’m making notes already!

Anyone know how to toggle away from Scumm on a Mac? Cmd-tab doesn’t work and Google doesn’t help. I can’t remember how I did it before…

Edit: ah crap wrong thread. Transferring…

2 Likes

Which version do you play?

Alt-tab?

You can also turn off the fullscreen mode in the options. I’ve done that so I can keep an eye on this forum. :wink: If you need help with that, drop me a note.

Oh, yeah. Another game I bought once and will need to play someday. But let’s stay on topic…