The 2018 what are we playing thread

I just bought Overlord and Leisure Suit Larry in the ongoing GOG sale. Doesn’t mean I’ll play 'em in 2018 though.

Edit: it’s a pack btw, so you get most of the Larry games for €1.69. We’ll have to wait to see if it’s anything worthwhile, I suppose. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi guys, great topic you have here. There’s a few titles that I miss…actually i miss a lot during last year as I was busy making my own -humble- adventure.
The demo is free now for Mac, PC, Linux, iOS and Android or STEAM
I’d love to share it with you!

Sol705

It’s a retro science fiction adventure set in the 70s in a rural town in Argentina. Lot’s of fun, symphonic rock and vintage stuff. Hope you like it!

2 Likes

We had already mentioned the Kickstarter of your game in this thread:

Looks interesting. I’ll keep an eye on it. :slight_smile:

Did anyone play this one. Is it any good? It looks pretty special… and less than £/€/€1 too at the moment

https://www.gog.com/game/shelter

1 Like

Nope. I added it to my wishlist a couple of years ago for just such an occasion though.

I can probably count on one hand the games for which I paid more than €14.99.

• Thimbleweed Park
  • Shadow Tactics
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider (Steam)
  • The Walking Dead: A New Frontier
  • Syberia 3 (haven’t even played it yet, but Syberia + liberated from DRM on GOG = instabuy)

This new game looks fantastic. The next in my list.

https://www.gog.com/game/unforeseen_incidents

At the moment I am super undecided wheater to get Dark Souls Remastered or not. I have never played a Souls game before but am super intrigued by people calling it the single best game ever etc. but I´m not sure if I can stand the extremly high frustration factor that is generally associated with it. I love me some super hard games now and then, but they make me mad at the same time like the Ghouls´n´Ghosts games.

You should have played the Megadrive version!
Still hard, but not impossible like the SNES re-hash. I mean: no shooting upwards or downwards and mid-air secondary jumps?? WTF?

What reasons do they give?

Is it like DmC?

Not sure which game of the series you are refering to but the double jump is an essential part of gameplay of Super Ghouls´n´Ghosts on the SNES. And if there was shooting upwards(while there is kind with the bow) one of the hardest bosses ever (the one you only get to fight when you finished the game twice) would be one of the easiest.

None of the Arcade versions I know of have shooting upwards or downwards either.

It is regulary mentioned as one of the hardest and best games ever. From the gameplay footage I´ve seen it looks like a reaction time thing. Enemies and you have very long ranging melé weapons and you have to duck and roll sidewards or back in time to not get hit. So it is a case of learning very precise timing otherwise you´ll get your ass handed to you numerous times. That´s what I can tell at least from looking at it.

I took me hundreds of deaths to figure that out. (I have the mini SNES and it just say to visit their website for the manual… which I obviously didn’t)

Doesn’t the original Capcom arcade have those? How else could you ever play the third level (with the tower floor going up?)
Note that downwards shooting requires you to jump up first, so it isn’t that simple either.
If you got to the maggot boss while your carrying the sword as weapon…it can be done, but near impossible…

What say you Sega kids @PiecesOfKate and @Sushi. Should I get this for my PS4?

Full game list here:

2 Likes

Aww, Decap Attack! Ristar! Toejam and Earl :heart_eyes:

That’s a decent collection so I’d say aye. Then we can all compete on speedruns!

3 Likes

Well…
If you never ever ever played one of these games… you might want to wait until they’re on sale.
I mean, you won’t have the nostalgia factor going for you.
And the selection of games, though very decent and containing a few of my favourites, is only games made by SEGA themselves. So they’re lacking all these great 3rd party games like EA’s Desert Strike or Road Rash or earthworm jim, Ghouls N Ghosts ,…
I’m always a bit weary towards emulation… I have a backup MD, a cheap thing made by AT games, with 20 or 30 on-board games and a real slot and it just crashes and burns in comparison to the actual hardware (both sound, visuals,…) but I imagine that might be less of an issue on the PS4. I also didn’t bother to play the games that were included and which I never had played before longer, for longer than 15 minutes.

The games included here do cover most genres. If you like jRPGs, the shining series are really great! Also Landstalker is cool. Golden axe, streets of Rage (2), all good! Sonic of course. Missing from Sega is Ecco the dolphin… and they include crap like Altered Beast , only because that was the first package game.
But all in all, it’s a good introduction to the superiority of the MD over the SNES, I’d say. :wink:

2 Likes

We’ve got a similar compilation on our PS4 and it works pretty well. I guess it depends though. We also play a lot of MD games through the Raspberry Pi. As you say I think those cheap things with built-in games are generally a bit rubbish and hashed together, but the PS4 should be fine.

Not a fan myself because it’s not really my genre, but I know plenty of people who would disagree with your statement :wink:

Anyway as @sushi says it looks like a good cross-section - and probably a good way to introduce yourself to some of the classics.

3 Likes

Holds up a lot less well than I remember. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

So now that I´m back and have nothing else to play, I thought what the heck I´m gonna get that thing now.

So enough opportunities for lots of Sega talk in the comming weeks/months. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is now a good time to bring this up?

Did you just come here from the Sega thread? :flushed:

Oh crap, no! :flushed:

1 Like