The Darkside Detective

I mentioned that in the other thread :stuck_out_tongue:

I liked the demo barring a few ‘teething’ things (it is only a demo). Agree that it’s a bit basic but the humour makes up for it.

Their tweets are very funny too, which bodes well, heheh.

I haven’t tried the demo yet, but … I don’t know if it’s worth to spend on pixel art animations, which will be considered outdated anyway. This way they can focus on story and interaction. I think it’s a good choice…

Uh, sorry, I missed that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree about the humor, I’m looking for the release in July.

1 Like

I’m not sure pixel art would be considered outdated. Pixel art is quite trendy these days. The problem with TWP is that the game itself is very old-school, with verbs and all, but a game like TDD has another look and feel, with that single-touch interface and fixed-screen narrative that makes it very suitable for mobile. In that case, pixels become just an artistic choice, not a reference to the past.

And, as I myself made a pixel art game, I must say that only a few, maybe five, out of a thousand reviewers complained that it was low-res. Some nostalgic players praised the graphics, but most of the people didn’t care at all.

1 Like

can I ask you the name of the game?

2 Likes

Sure enough, just released today! I picked it up on Steam and will be checking it out tonight.

4 Likes

Ditto!

Pleasingly cheap too.

1 Like

I enjoyed it. A small, funny, very basic adventure with a nice mood and some good vibes from Ben Prunty (horrible drums). The blocky presentation countered the fun of exploring scenes. It’s performance hungry.

I’m quite liking it too. It’s pretty basic, but entertaining - the dialogue is amusing and full of references to a lot of shows and books (and even some games) mentioned on these boards. It spoofs the detective genre pretty well - and gaming in general (check out the settings!)

A good game for when I’m not in the mood for anything taxing!

And perhaps a good one for introducing people to the point and click genre who haven’t played those sorts of games before.

Edit: love the purple tentacle puzzle :laughing:

I could life with an arrangement, where small indies introduce people to adventures, whilst more established developers focus on the real thing.

1 Like

I really don’t know if I should buy it. It’s in my wishlist, I loved the demo and the humor and I’m absolutely sure that I’ll enjoy this game deeply.

Unfortunately, at the moment I don’t have much time to play adventure games and the backlog of games to play is alarmingly increasing.

I’m tempted to buy it taking advantage of the discount, but I’m not sure. :thinking:

Ditto. I’m stockpiling and not actually playing much.

The structure of Darkside Detective is quite handy in that respect though - it’s split into little case files that are each quite quick to complete. Bitesize adventure gaming, instead of getting deep into a multilayered story.

You are right, I didn’t think about the “episodic” nature of the game. That would provide a more “casual” experience instead of long sessions, which is exactly what I’m searching for right now.

I’ve just purchased it, I hope to play it during the weekend. :slight_smile:

Hope you enjoy it :slight_smile: let us know what you think.

1 Like

I’m playing it right now but I can’t progress because I’m too busy laughing. :joy:

I have no idea how the whole experience will be but the writing and the jokes have already made me a fan of it.

Haha, I’m glad you’re enjoying the humour :slightly_smiling_face:

I really liked the lighthearted nature of it - both in terms of the comedy and the gameplay. It doesn’t take itself too seriously, and it’s a nice, casual game to play.

Look forward to seeing what you think of it overall.

I would have bought this game if I hadn’t seen the youtube let’s play. I had a look at youtube first, only 10 minutes, and I didn’t like it (mostly the pixels are too big for my tastes). But since you guys say it’s funny, I’ll reconsider. (well, after I’ve played Gateway remake).

1 Like

I´m member of the club now (hohohhoho “member” hehehehehehe “club”) I´ll get back to you guys with what I think within the next days.

I for mysekf, can recomend it. The very big pixels and the fact that you don´t have to walk around in each room, were a bit suprising and unfamiliar to me, but after playing the first two cases I reall liked it. Makes a nice mood, I like the music and especially the menu style :slight_smile:

I need to thank you @RonGilbert, I only found it because of your tweet, too. I liked the pictures and description I saw and it came on the wishlist after a realy quick look. I did not play the demo or look any video of it. I bought it immediately after the release and didn´t regret it.

2 Likes