The drinks thread

That´s what you think of, when you read of this age old monk order? :slight_smile:

You know who was a francsican? William of Baskerville from The Name Of The Rose.

My agent just informed me his name is Guglielmo in the original italian. :smiley:

3 Likes

Well, yes and no.
Guglielmo da Baskerville was a fictionary character from The Name Of The Rose, by Umberto Eco. In the fiction, he’s a Franciscan.

The real story of the Franciscan Friars is that it’s an order funded by San Francesco d’Assisi, son of a rich cloth merchant.
Soon after a local war against a town near him (Perugia), Francesco started to develop a deeper and deeper form of compassion towards the poors, the sufferers, the weak.
One day, Francesco was sent by his father to sell clothes in Rome, but instead of keeping the money, he given away all the money to the poors.
Then he decided to follow the spiritual path.

The Franciscan order should have nothing to do with beer – it was produced by another kind of monks, the “trappisti” (trappists in English).

The bar I’m at has a liquor called “Monkey Shoulder” that I’ve never heard of. I think Guybrush would approve.

3 Likes

I’m having one of my favorite beers right now: Pilsner Urquell.
I know, it’s not German, but somehow I feel very comfortable with it. Since my wife and I went to Plzen and had a brewery tour, we’re so in love with it.

Kampai and zum Wohl everybody!

2 Likes

It seems it’s a Scottish blended.

https://www.uvinum.it/whisky/monkey-shoulder

Scottish pirates?

Is that wooden leg under your kilt or are you just happy to see me?

1 Like

That’s a big head!

Erk

In germany we call it crown! :blush:

We boringly call it foam (schiuma)

That’s a valid synonym in German too.

True but foamcrown is too cool a word to not use when talking about a good beer.

1 Like

Indeed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I learned you’re supposed to hold the glass diagonally when you pour if you don’t want too much head.

There is so much unintentional dirty in that sentence I cannot even…:exploding_head:

But it´s true, you learn that serving drinks. Otherwise you have to wait longer until the glass fills with actual beer. But if you hold it right, you can pretty much put the whole bottle in a glass without letting your guests wait.

1 Like

:upside_down_face:

I´m not even a hundred percent sure what that means, but :flushed:

That sounds less rude. I’m going to start using that instead.

Yep, I learned that when I worked in a stuffy gentlemen’s bar. And also about pouring Guinness in two stages. Whenever anyone ordered that it was such a faff :roll_eyes:

1 Like

First of all, I wanted to pour fast, so that I can upload the picture in real time and not after I finished the drink, like I usually do. So in one hand I held the phone (with camera) and with the other I poured the beer. Otherwise I would actually hold the glass a little bit diagonally, to earn a beautiful crown.

Second of all, there are three ways to pour Pilsner Urquell (Hladinka, Mlíko und Šnyt). Each has a different flavour because each has a different amount of dense, wet foam. So that could have been my excuse. :wink:

Haha, makes sense :slight_smile:

That’s really interesting – I’ve just looked it up and found this article explaining the different types. I like the idea of the ‘milk’ beer ‘before stumbling home’ :smile:

I wasn’t trying to judge you, just trying to make conversation. You pour however you feel like. :wink:

Hmmm, I wonder if we should start a hangover (cure) topic?

The bar I went to on Friday was the only one I’ve ever been to that serves a glass of water with every beer. I thought that was a nice touch, that they care enough about their patrons to help try to avoid hangovers.

1 Like