The official language thread

As you might already know, I have two daughters. The smallest will turn 2.5 in a month, and sometimes the way she talks (as her sister did two years prior) reveals interesting details on how kids learn a language.

This evening we’re having the worst weather she ever experienced. Lots of thunders, the sky is flickering, it’s raining :cat::cat: and :dog::dog: (or, as I said somewhere probably in this thread, it rains that God sends her).

Before going to sleep, she said a sentence that can’t be translated in English. Or… it can, but it doesn’t reveal anything. She looked at the window and said “dad, it’s a night”. Of course it is. But she used a particular word. Instead of notte, she said nottata, which has the same meaning (night), but I know precisely where she heard it. That is, from the movie The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh where the narrator says “the blustery day turned into a blustery night” and then “the very blustery night turned into a very rainy night”. But in Italian, the voice says giornata and nottata instead of giorno and notte.

So she basically thought that nottata is not a simple synonym for notte, but it refers to a bad weather night.

I found it pretty cute.

4 Likes