The official language thread

Yes, go ahead! :slight_smile: It’s easy to recall the old message you are replying to with a click on the arrow.

1 Like

Eeheheh… it seems you know the italian meaning of that :blush:

In Finnish it’s also an elephant. “Norsu posliinikaupassa”. For reasons I don’t know, we have two words for elephant: norsu and elefantti.

Yep :smile:

“Fox in the hen house” (“kettu kanalassa” in Finnish) is the one I know. Someone with bad intentions.

1 Like

Check this out, then

So you also have that joke in Finnish, where one fish says Hi! to the other fish and the other fish goes “Where?!?”

1 Like

No, but that’s funny :smile:

We have that in german, too.

We also have Halloween as a form to greet the city of vienna as a collective.

So it’s actually whoring thinking?

1 Like

They were also playing on that with an ad for some aquarium somewhere in the basic vicinity of Belgium and the Netherlands. It looked a little something like this:

(drat, I think I’m out of practice making quick sketches on the drawing tablet)

2 Likes

Also in Finding Nemo, you see Marlin and Dory when Bruce menacingly appears behind them and just says “Hi!”
(In the Flemish version at least)
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve only seen it in English. I would imagine the joke is the same in the Dutch and the other Dutch version.

Adam Levine of Maroon 5 was on a german TV show once and the host said to him he understood that every german sounds to non german speakers like:

“SCHNAAATZN-DAAATZN-BRAAATZN!!!”

Me and some of my friends have been saying that ever since. :joy:

3 Likes

I tried this tool with the following paragraph:

Have you wondered if a particular person likes pie? Well, now you can find out, with my state-of-the-art Pie Like-or-Not Detector. Simply present the question to your chosen individual, “do you like pie?” And their reaction shall be decoded by the machine and presented in very simple terms: “of course I like pie, because everyone does”.

My favourite result was with Gibberish Level 4:

Have yourse I like-or-Not Detector. Simple terms: “of cour chosen individual, “do you like pie?” And out, with my simply present the question to you wondered in veryone and out, with my state-of-the question shall be does”. Have you wondered if a part Pie Likes pie?" And their reaction shall be decoded ind out, with my state-of-the machine and out, with my state-or-Not Detector. Simply presen individual, "do you wondered if a particular person shall because I like pie? Well, "do you likes pie, beca

And here’s a small segment of what was made from Level 3 :sweat_smile:

Well becto you withe derms: “of chin their reactor-Not Pie?” Andery simply simple my simple do yon like-of a pres par cause a partiondividual, bector-Not Pie?

4 Likes

More often than I am able to make any sense out of it I find myself saying “Shizzle ma dizzle!” instead of “Shit!” I have no idea why that is. It´s not like am listening to much Snoop Dog at all!

Well, I guess we can all agree that proper use of ones language is a thing none of us should take for granite.

1 Like

Haha :smile: I was thinking that episode was a bit weak, but that bit made me laugh.

I knew it would. :grin:

But didn´t the mindblowers kinda remind you of trontubes,though?

1 Like

Holy crap, yes!

1 Like