The official language thread

Huh. Why that? Couldn’t they make more money if the arcade would be, for example, in the entrance hall?

Anyway. Then we have to change the plan: I first fly to Newcastle and then we both fly back to another (random) country. From there we fly back to Newcastle. With this approach we would be able to play twice!

1 Like

Or when you say a regular goodbye to a person, and then end up walking in the same direction as them.

3 Likes

In Germany we have a saying that if you meet a person three times in a row (in the way you mentioned), then the other person has to buy you a drink. :slight_smile:

I’d so manipulate that.

4 Likes

Don’t think I ever heard that one.

Well it isn’t thaaaaaat impressive. There’s a few claw machines, Guitar Hero, air hockey (btw I absolutely love air hockey!), and a few driving games. No Dance Dance Revolution :broken_heart:

Nice plan! Los geht’s! :grinning:

No, it doesn’t look like that. It’s just an oval-shaped counter and bar seats dotted around in different places, not in a room. It’s right next to the windows, actually. You can watch the planes take off… :relaxed:

1 Like

But it’s at least an arcade. :slight_smile: Here in my area they have closed or removed all arcades (and arcade games).

:star_struck: Haven’t played that since the 80s!

Is that your all-time-favourite arcade game?

But sounds nice too. I’ll try to remember that - thanks for the tip!

It’s common here in the northern of Germany, but mostly use by older people (= the generation of my parents).

1 Like

That’s nothing. In Belgium pooping is making love. :wink:

3 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

And in Germany we have the similar “poppen” (“popp” is pronounced like “pop” as in “popcorn”).

2 Likes

This website says the same meaning applies in Belgian-Dutch:

http://vlaamswoordenboek.be/definities/term/poepen

“I don’t think the average Fleming poops on the toilet; a Dutchman does. A Fleming likes to poop with two, a Dutchman thinks that a bit gross.”

“The word goes back to 'playing with dolls [=poppen], from which the meaning playing/touching each other developed.”

More etymological info here: Zoekresultaten

1 Like

Most of the time, arcades in the UK are at the seaside. And they have lots of 2p slot machines where you can win keyrings and stuff.

Oh, I just remembered! There’s a big arcade in the Metrocentre shopping centre, not far from Newcastle… :smiley:

Absolutely!

3 Likes

Yeah, there’s an arcade in Scheveningen too. It didn’t look too interesting to me last summer tbh, but I played a bit on some of the old-style '70s/'80s arcades in the pier. I had no idea I could fail quite so badly at gaming though. (I mean, how many 50 cents do you think I’m going to keep throwing in that machine? Keep me hooked a little longer before ramping up the difficulty curve to 11, lol.)

2 Likes

On the pier?

1 Like

No, the (modern) arcade is in this shopping center near the pier (website). But inside the pier there are at least a dozen retro-style arcade cabinets spread about in smaller groups of two to four. Also pinball machines.

2 Likes

Apparently in some parts of the UK, too.

2 Likes

English, eh?
sir, you are toasted!

:laughing:

1 Like

:confused:
:beers:?

1 Like

My eyes! Mes pauvres yeux!
:sob: