The official travel thread

I had one too, before I got kids. But I never used it for vacation, I always preferred trains for long distances.

With kids, car sharing was out of question :stuck_out_tongue: I began using the car more often, and I needed child seats, and so on.

1 Like

Some places are only an hour by car vs 3 hours by public transit, or not accessible through public transit at all. From what you wrote I assumed Freiburg was one of those places?

Correct :smiley: at least 3h by train. And we had just moved to Switzerland, so our goal was to visit Switzerland first.

We’ll get back to tourism when the daughters are old enough to appreciate it. They want to visit Paris, they’ve seen it lots of times in movies and now they’re curious, so we’ll probably begin with France, but not this year :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think they ARE old enough. Don’t underestimate their curiosity. :blush: Obviously traveling with young children can be stressful, but I’ve traveled with my 4yo brother and he enjoyed it.

2 Likes

A few weeks ago, I spent a weekend in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Such an amazing old town!
I think, it’s obligatory to mention it here and post a photo of the famous fork there, the so-called Plönlein:

Sorry for the low level of detail, but it was in the late evening and I only had my mobile phone camera.

8 Likes

And people who played Gabriel Knight 2 might recognise this spot as the location of “Rittersberg”!

Outside of that I think there is a Museum that has a replica of the “Iron Maiden of Nürnberg” amongst other things.

Too bad I didn´t have time for all that when I was there nearly 18 years ago. Saw a great concert nontheless at the Burggarten!

Disclaimer: None of the pics in this post are my work

5 Likes

That’s interesting! I casually ate a delicious Schneeballen there, but I wasn’t aware of that fact.

You mean the Medieval Crime Museum. We visited it as well. There were several instruments of torture, including the iron maiden. To my knowledge there is no evidence that iron maidens were actually used in the Middle Ages, but nonetheless, seeing all the other instruments from that time, tortures must have been really horrible back then.

After all, I admit that the museum was not as interesting to me as the town itself, though. I sometimes missed a continuity in the exhibition and I think that the presentation ought to be modernized somehow.

However, we are looking forward to visit the town again in a few years.

1 Like

No, apparently it first turned up way later than that. The object in Rothenburg is apparently a replica of the thing that was lost (or destroyed) in WWII in Nürnberg. Nürnberg also has some famous old medieval prisons where they threw people down a “hole” to leave them there.

Yeah, and where I´m from there is (to my knowledge) the only Torture Chamber in germany that looks like in medieval days and that still has all the instruments standing in the exact spots there where they were used (as opposed to a museum collection).

1 Like

Ritchie Blackmore?

1 Like

Yup, with Blackmore´s Night. First of two times I saw him. I unfortunately missed out on his newly formed Rainbow two years ago.

1 Like

Hello, long time!
Using the opportunity to write again because of travel plans. :slight_smile:
I’m traveling to S. Korea in a few weeks and hope to get some tipps and advice for must sees sightseeing from you guys.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

2 Likes

Don’t they have some pretty strict quarantine requirements going on? Anyway, I’ll see if I can dig out some names to the places I found interesting over the next few days. Though I guess most of them are restaurants :wink:

1 Like

Yes, there are strict rules. But you can either follow them or apply for quarantine exemption, which we are. :slight_smile:

Thank you, looking forward to it!

Here we go. Surprisingly, I don’t have too many pictures to share, but I guess you can find plenty online. Thinking back, there’s also no single place or event that absolutely wowed me (perhaps with the exception of that old guy flying his kite in a park, who told us he’d actually just been back from a kite festival in Hannover, Germany. Small world, I guess!).

Oh … and the food, of course.

Given that you’ll likely spend some time in Seoul, there’d be Gyeongbokgung palace, which is quite a sprawling complex that makes you almost forget that you are in the middle of a huge metropolis. I think there’s also a guard change ceremony taking place at certain times at the main gate.

For more historical stuff, there’s the National Museum of Korea. I particularly remember the collections of ceramics and calligraphy, but there’s plenty more.

And a last historical place to go to would be the Bukchon Hanok Village, which is a residential area with traditional houses. It’s mostly private properties, but there are some places you can actually enter.

If you’re a bit after nature (and a nice view), Namsan mountain offers both. There was also a bit of what looked liked an old city- or fortress wall.

Another good view can be had from the 63 Building, which hosts an art gallery and observation deck, and while it’s no longer the tallest building in Seoul, it’s at a really nice location next to the Han river.

Since we always stayed outside Seoul, I cannot really give much advice on where to go for amusement or food, but one area I generally liked visiting is Insadong, which is a bit of an artist’s quarter full of small boutiques. If you happen across this building with a spiral ramp leading up to the top floor, back then it had a pretty neat restaurant on top that served a delicious Dolsot Bibimbab (if there’s one dish you try, it’s gotta be that!). There also was an ice cream parlor selling a great green tea flavored ice cream. That was years back, though.

Outside Seoul, but still fairly close by is the Korean Folk Village, which is an open air museum with various live performances on display, too.

Now, if you plan seeing more of the country, I’d absolutely recommend visiting Gyeongju, in the Southeastern part of Korea. As the former capital of the Silla kingdom, it’s also full of historical sights, from burial mounds to palaces and temples. We stayed two days and only managed to see parts, like the Donggung Palace and Wolji Pond, some of the tombs and the Bulguksa temple.

Also see my post above for a couple more places outside Seoul, but I think they pale compared to Gyeongju.

You also might find it interesting to visit the North Korean border, though it can be quite depressing. We’ve been to Imjingak and the Odusan Unification Observatory (on separate trips).

As for food, apart from my favorite mentioned above, I highly recommend Galbi, fresh or marinated ribs you grill at your table. Restaurants that serve it are usually equipped with gas grills, but if you’re lucky they’ll use actual charcoal instead.

TBH, the meat on the picture looks more like bulgogi, but the principle is the same.

Then there’s the seafood, of course. Most seafood restaurants are recognizable by the fish tanks outside. So what you get served is definitely fresh (and usually raw: Hoe).

Last but not least, Yangnyeom-tongdak, spicy fried chicken. It’s more of a street food/take-away thing, but just typing this makes my mouth water. For some reason, I never took a picture. Likely because you just have to dig in once it’s delivered :smiley:.

Well, so much for now. Hope you find some of the info useful, although I guess all that (and more) will show up in travel guides as well.

6 Likes

Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed descriptions and many things to do and eat. Food is very important for me while traveling, so I’m definitely try to check these out.
Did you travel for leisure? Oh wait, I’ll look at your other post first…

… Taiwan looks very good as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, on several occasions. And looking forward to visit again some time in the future :slight_smile:.

Another place I’d definitely visit again. Not least because I had a bad cold while we were there and missed out on a lot of good food. I couldn’t eat as much, and hardly taste whatever I ate.

2 Likes

Well I know this is a bit off topic but still about travel anyway.

Did you remember that weird idea by Elon Musk to dig hundreds of underground tunnels just to put only your own car in and travel? Elon Musk Reveals His Dislike for Public Transit | WIRED
When I saw this clip by John Malkovich I immediately thought about that :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Johnny Canal - SNL - YouTube

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I didn’t really want to make a new thread for this. Mostly because I’m just telling you this, and not inviting a discussion. So I’m just slotting it in here, hoping some of you will read it.

I wanted to let you all know that I decided to break up with Milan. It wasn’t working out for me anymore.

I won’t be making any more posts on the forum, but you can find me on Twitter if you’d like to stay in touch (katie_tatey_h), and my DMs here will still be open. (I will have email notifications for the latter, so it might take a bit longer for me to respond.)

As they say in Zak McKracken,
See ya.

I´ll go as well.

I’m too sad to like either of these posts.

3 Likes