Thimbleweed Park follow-up game, fan made

Eh…not so sure about that one.

But Robert Downey Junior can say it… ok, I’ll delete that.

1 Like

I keep debating whether to chip in on this (I guess I am, now).

I’d be interested in the writing side (I’m a writer/editor by both trade and as a hobby - and a grammatical pedant but that’s probably not as relevant). This would be a fun challenge for me as I’ve not really ventured into this style before.

I have a few reservations in terms of commitment - as others have said it’ll take a lot of time out of our daily grind. But if not maybe I could contribute in a post-production editorial/continuity capacity.

I like the idea of a collaborative effort where we all gather ideas to start with and see what we’ve got.

If Doug was a main focus for this I think he’d have to be written without the Scottish dialect, as that would get irritating and confusing in a text adventure with no voice acting. So he might become a bit one-dimensional.

Having said that, I do like the idea of him having shovels for arms.

1 Like

Maybe Delores has escaped from the game, and has to get all the other characters out. Each character has different skills that could be used in imaginative ways for their individual escape (shovel, clown props, dry wit) with the help of Delores.

(I’ve been playing a lot of The Cave…)

2 Likes

Hah! Great minds, and stuff…

Haha! How funny :laughing:

I think one of the reasons The Cave works so well is the variety of characters. It’s definitely important and a sequel would help flesh the TWP ones out more. For example we don’t know much about the agents and they could be given quite interesting backstories.

“Shovel Knight” knows what to do with a shovel.

3 Likes

Ok, I will.

2 Likes

Shovel Doug has been mind controlled by the Pillowbots and digs his way into the sewers (with twisty little passages all alike). His goal is to reach the underground mainframe and restart the game to bring the other characters back into the story.

Maybe your goal is to stop him?

3 Likes

Yeah! That creates a nice antithesis - Delores is trying to get the characters out while Brainwashed Doug is trying to keep them in. That adds an incentive (and a bit of time pressure) to get them out quickly.

It’s a shame this is (hypothetically) a text adventure as I can really picture these scenes.

1 Like

But wouldn´t that also proof that it works really good as a text adventure? :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could draw some scenes (as fan art) or re-use the graphics from TWP. :slight_smile:

Haha, fair point. Though part of that is because I’ve played the first game. But I guess most potential players would have, too.

Yeah :wink: they could be spliced in like @cvalenti suggested.

I like the idea of a timed challenge. Let’s say if you (Delores) leave Doug alone too long, the hole in the entryway gets bigger and bigger.

The first time it describes a small hole near the entryway. After X moves when Delores is busy searching the town for clues on where the other characters are buried, you come back it’s a sizable hole about 2 feet deep. Then a giant hole, 10 feet deep, etc.
That repeats until he finishes digging his tunnel. Then the twist ending…

Doug smacks Delores on the head with the shovel and throws her in. After all, this version of Delores is too self-aware, the machines want to reboot the characters so their memories are erased.

2 Likes

That´s dark…I like it! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I like that. That would keep the pace going.

I like that too. Would that be the ending if the player loses, or regardless? I like the thought of a bitter twist at the end even if the player does everything right. But maybe that’s a bit sadistic :japanese_ogre:

Mind you, if people got pissed about an ending like that, there could be a slightly mocking, alternative ‘happily ever after’ ending, heheh. It could be invoked via an inventory item (such as a fairytale book) that can only be used at the end of the game.

1 Like

But that´s exactly why I like it so much ! :crazy_face:

Yes! Like that theatrical Little Shop Of Horrors ending.

What the beep?! They did that?

What ending do you know?

Theatrical: Seymour marries Audrey and everything is fine.
Director´s Cut: Audrey II eats both grows multiplies and destroys cities, Godzilla-Style.

Appearantly the original ending was unpopular with test audiences. So they threw that happy end in. Director Frank Oz said he was disappointed and felt sorry for all the special effects people who worked on the original whose work never got seen for years.

It appears I’ve seen the Director’s Cut - either that or I’m thinking of the stage version I saw which also had the original ending. Director’s Cut is much better - it’s supposed to be a B-movie style musical, surely, not a pappy ole thing. So disappointing when that happens.

Anyway. TWP II - bitter ending FTW.

1 Like