ThimbleWeed park in 640x480 on a Commodore 1942 CRT

Let’s be clear, I wasn’t pointing out any mistakes. I was just reacting to the typical fanboy response of “but, but, but, it’s Ron Gilbert… RON GILBERT!!! *swoon*” that typically follows comments suggesting that something may not work out as intended.

Other than that, yep, you are right. His track record is very good, which is why I backed the project from the beginning and why I look forward to his future work.

And yes, with the Internet, people nowadays will bitch about every little thing.

dZ.

Or removing the Sierra reference because it´s an annoying in joke.:rolling_eyes:

1 Like

Commodore PCs can utilize an external drive as the second drive, though. Those are exactly the same as on Amigas.
AfaIk, PC BIOSes had support for two floppy disk drives all the time. Also, it’s up to the floppy controller, which was an ISA card on early PCs. In fact, on-board periphery other than the keyboard controller was rather rare on early PCs, so you needed an ISA card for pretty much everything.

That’d be so cool. More achievements with the old story line or even side quests! It would be maybe difficult to not interfere with the main story line but for example opening the bar, adding some little optional puzzles there.

1 Like

Riding the bull minigame!

We added the in-joke option to poke fun at people who objected, not because we really cared.

2 Likes

Well I can´t really be the judge of that, but I hope it worked.

I don’t know how much impact the specs of dust had on PR or marketing, but just two days ago I stumbled upon the following “let’s play” video. What happens at 7:20 is quite remarkable:

2 Likes

Exactly!!!

Once these ports are done (maybe a month or so), I’ll do a live Twitch programming steam of adding the floppy disk sounds. You’ll see how easy it is… or it will crash and burn in complete and total embarrassment.

10 Likes

Please let us know ahead of time, I’d love to see that live.

I imagine it’s harder to decide where to play the sound effect than to actually implement it? I’m no professional programmer, but in the VR project I’m working on in Unreal Engine 4, I’ve occasionally used sound effects as debug messages. It turns out triggering sound effects was actually easier than implementing a VR-friendly way of rendering text to the screen.

2 Likes

What a beautiful idea! :slight_smile:

This brings back some fond memories…:heart_eyes:

I think that would really be a great idea. As a player, one of the bittersweet moments is actually finishing a game. Yes, you’re excited because you’ve done it, but also sad because the game is over, and you won’t get more for another year, or two, or ever… Even a series where you know that more is coming, the wait seems interminable. I know the “Sam & Max” series did some episodic stuff, as well as the last “Monkey Island” things, though I came across both well after their initial release and was able to just play through them. Something with monthly installments, if that were possible from a development standpoint, with an ongoing story, would be fantastic.

If you had unlimited money, would you turn TWP into a world, with sidequests (with new characters totally unnecessary for the main story but only necessary if you want to solve their sidequests), or would you consider this a bad thing in principle (because “this is an adventure game not an rpg”)?

Hate to bump the thread, but it’s been a month or so. Is this still likely to happen? Which Twitch account should we be following to make sure we don’t miss it? :slight_smile:

The best laid plans of mice and men…

1 Like

:slight_smile: I had monochrome (green) monitor together with my C=64, I think it was Commodore DM602.
It should much more retro to try it on this :-))))

What a great idea :grin:
I’m a software developer (not gaming or graphic) as of 1999 and I think I had never heard of that.