ThimbleWeed park in 640x480 on a Commodore 1942 CRT

I think the “when” has become an “if” now. If it would happened at this point I would certainly play through the game again, because of that.

I miss the loading sound, even on winvice.

Can’t you activate it in VICE? Or was that UAE…? :thinking:

UAE has it, don’t know about vice. (I usually ended up inserting a blank disk to shut it up, both in UAE and back then on the actual hardware)

This would be a dream come true! I would pay a subscription for this :smiley:

4 Likes

Urg!!! Like playing a Spectrum 48…

1 Like

AND ME!!! I’d buy that for > a dollar.

@RonGilbert because then you could have a handle on scope as well. I think the problem with KS and such is that you might feel obliged to engage with the players only to have much less time to actually work on a game.

Only releasing a new episode when you wanted and having the pre-existing fanbase. And like add on disks in the old days… -

I code, and I could imagine a game engine where you could slot in new episodes using some of the same characters, putting a few new ones in if you wanted a whole new story (limiting the scope so it doesn’t too unwieldy) and you could essentially say right, that’s that episode finished then put it out/to bed. You wouldn’t be too inclined to suffer featurecreep either as you would know you could add new bits as you went along, perhaps upgrading the engine as you went with occasional say 4-6 month mini updates.

The beauty of having a robust well designed engine in my opinion is that you could basically just feed it the files and away you go. I suppose that also depends on having good tools. I’ve done this kind of thing with some of my games. I got my shoot em up engine going then just made it so customisable I could just throw a level map, baddies and front end graphics at it and more or less had two games for the price of one.
I’m not telling you you should do this, but it looks like you are thinking in that direction anyway :smiley:

1 Like