Official Thimbleweed Park Forums

Thimbleweed Park Italian fan dub Project - Official Thread(TM)

Sorry mate, I couldn’t reply back then.
I had quite an hard time trying to avoid your questions… :sweat_smile:

Yeah, Kubrick was nobody in comparison…:smile:

A new demo :slight_smile: Ransome and George the postman.

Audio still needs some post processing, there’s too much difference between the characters, George stands out way more. Well, George had a way better equipment than me. But you know what? I think it’s pretty good nevertheless, and we’ll probably manage to level all the sounds.

I think he gave his best performance starting from 2’22" :smiley:

So, my wife finally began recording a first draft of Clara, the female ghost. But she had a hard time remembering how to pronounce Xavier.

ccchhhharrrrvieeeeeee (in spanish)

That’s fantastic. The bloopers folder is exploding!
I have to reveal a secret… here you edited all the episodes in just one file.
I heard them throughout my proof check listening session, and it was hilarious! :joy:

Now make her pronounce it in Spanish! It’s even more difficult.

Milan the “r” goes last :slight_smile:

It bloody don´t.

I’m shaking, I’m shaking!

I notice Milan wrote the spanish pronunciation in the german way:

ch = spanish J

But still, one says the R must be here, the other says it must be there… I don’t hear any R at all…

Yeah we use ch for the spanish j and x and the greek x.

And I´m pretty sure the r is silent. But that may only be in french.

Please, listen to the first audio sample on this page: https://it.forvo.com/word/xavier/

it’s in Spanish, recorded by an Argentinian. I also met many years ago a guy named Xavier from Santiago de Compostela, and I remember he pronounced his name like the sample above.

Amateur Casting for TWP Italian Fan Dub

As I promised to someone (he was actually @Someone , now that I think of it), here is a post about casting.

Casting, in my opinion, has been (or should I say is being?) the most fun, challenging and difficult part of the whole project.

The keys to achieve a good result in a fan dub are two:

1. Good audio quality

2. Excellent casting

And I mean in broad sense…. “good audio quality” doesn’t mean simply a good microphone. It means setting (environment), recording technique, good sampling, good editing.

Similarly, “excellent casting” doesn’t merely mean “good actorial skills”.

There’s a lot of factors you should take into account, and all of these factors have its importance and its priority.

Ron Gilbert, according to his blogpost, had quite an hard time with voice casting, and still he had to cope with pros. His casting took “some weeks”, while we realised that casting amateurs is a very “liquid” phase, that spans over the whole project.

If you’re casting pro actors, maybe your main concern will be only the match actor/character.

Coping with amateurs, you have to take into account a lot of factors.

One factor of utmost importance is the commitment. You can find a great actor who fits perfectly in -say- Reyes’ part, you couldn’t find better. He records slowly, but, who cares? He does 500 lines in 6 months, then he vanishes. So you’ve lost 6 months, you are still missing a major role, and your second choice for Reyes has been hijacked and gave you yet a decent Ransome’s part, which is completed… What a mess!

We made a spreadsheet for every actor with many values…. (acting skills, quality of voice, diction, technical output) and “reliability” was one of the most important aspects.

It is vital that, at least for the playable characters, you try to stick to people with a safe and high level of commitment. Ideally, he/she should be a member of the “core team”, or be a relative or friend you can meet and record together. When you rely on people you met online (on the TWP forum or elsewhere), you can never be sure about his/hers reliability.

Some advices I’d give if you’re ever going to do a csting for a TWP fan dub:

• While casting minor characters (less than 15 lines), always make the audition to be the full part. It would be a real shame if the actor does 5 out of a total of 7 lines, which sound really good, but then he/she vanishes.

• Try to keep the number of lines per character in an audition to a minimum, but ask candidates for many, I say many character tryouts. It is unbelievable how some people simply can’t play as a character, while has great acting skill as another character.

• Give strict deadlines! You might be induced to take it easy, “it’s a fan dub after all, I shouldn’t push people….” but better to lose an actor then to find yourself without a key character at the last minute. The promptness of the actor in giving you the auditions and the final recordings is directly proportional to its reliability and commitment.

• You have to be a little cruel, sometimes. You don’t have to give a part to anybody who asks, if he/she can’t do it. If you can, ask at least for two complete parts, better if one is longer and the other one shorter. eg: “Ok, dear XX, I think you are good to play as Willie AND as Roomguest. This will be useful if you will find a better actor for the bigger part, but the first actor has demonstrated a strong will and commitment and he/she doesn’t deserve to be rejected.

• Let a man play the part of Edna, and cast both kids and girls for the part of Hotelkid.

• identify the parts which have similar voice profiles and few or none interactions, so that they can be easily made by the same actor (eg: Lenore/natalie/Morena, Willie/Chuck/Carney, or Franklin/Lawyer/Bankmanager)

• To match part/actor, after the various factors I’ve mentioned above, you should take into account another important factor: optimisation.

Let me explain. You have actor 1 and 2. You make casting for character A, and the choice seems to be quite easy:

Character A

Acting skills: 1, Excellent, 2 fairly good

quality of voice for the part: 1, very good, 2 good

You’d go for Actor 1, right?

But then you cast the same actors for character B…

Acting skills: 1, good, 2 mediocre

quality of voice: 1, good 2, totally unfitted.

So, better to obtain two good parts, then an Excellent and a bad one.

I had to study sheets with many different combinations. Finding the right optimisation for matching actors and parts is the most difficult thing. If only one actor quits, all the best possible matchings change! So in this part of the casting, the commitment, as always, plays a major role.

So, we’re planning to open a YouTube channel where we put some “official” demos of the definitive voices, but since we’re also planning to dub other games and stuff after TWP, we want to give it a more general name. @Ema proposed “Important Looking Pirates”, but it turned out that’s the visual fx studio that worked on Westworld, so we brainstormed other names and we narrowed it down to two.

But since they’re very similar, we can’t decide. We need your vote!

• Tuna Head Productions
  • Red Herring Productions

0 voters

And, here’s a first draft of the logo: it suits both names.
herring_small

What a shame! That’d be such a good name.

I went with Tuna Head because I would think it’s less common than Red Herring. And it will work for future projects while still linking back to the origins.

Went with Tuna Head because it is more distinct to the “universe”.

I went with Tuna Head because I love this song :hugs: :notes: and…

…hang on, hang on, there’s LYRICS?! :astonished:

…oops, got sidetracked. Yeah, Tuna Head.

Another good name I thought was “Men of Low Moral Fiber”, but I think the two options by Guga are better. I slightly prefer Red Herring since it is less TWP-related, but I really can’t decide.
Anyway, when he mentioned fishes and then said “we must think about a logo” I thought it was perfect, because a fish-microphone is really neat! Luckily @Guga has better drawing skills, and @ZakPhoenixMcKracken has better taste for colors… this was my pathetic first concept:

:joy:

Guga in 5 minutes came out also with this one:

Man, the guy is clever!

But your project is TWP related? :slight_smile: Or would you like to dub something else? :smiley: