To those who have a peculiar/funny/cryptic nickname: what does it mean?

Your nick is one of my favorite.

Yes ā€“ almost makes me want to name myself PiecesOfNate.

2 Likes

Really? :slightly_smiling_face:

I canā€™t work out if yours is your name or something more crypticā€¦

Ricardo: the name my mother choseā€¦ :confused:

1 Like

Itā€™s just a shortening of my given nameā€¦

My nickname incorporates the fiery falcon from ancient Slavic mythology:

And 4k is just because 2k is over since 17 years and this way I have a future-proof nickname for the next 1983 years. :joy:

Is it Emanuel?

nh_cham is for N. Harold Cham, and itā€™s a major character in Whyā€™s Poignant Guide to Ruby by Why the Lucky Stiff. You can read the book online here or fetch a PDF here.

Hereā€™s a little backstory, from chapter 5:

Frankly, Iā€™m sick and tired of hearing that Dr. Cham was a madman. Yes, he tried to bury himself alive. Yes, he electrocuted his niece. Yes, in fact, he did dynamite a retirement home. But this was all with good cause and, in each case, I believe he took the correct course of action.

Maybe I shouldnā€™t have to add this, but I like this book a lot. It has humor and depth like a MmucusFlem Game!

I ā€œfinishedā€ MM for the first time by using the red button. Well, I admit that this is not a preferable ending, but, when I was stuck in MM, the button could become inviting. :wink:

1 Like

I also thought @Nor_Treblig meant something. It sounds German (ā€œtrebligā€ looks like an adjective).

Then it hit me.

Hint: he appears also in Tales of Monkey Island, chapter 1 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nope, as german as ā€œStachenblockenā€

My theory is that leaving the respective words in their place instead of switching them too made a big difference. Had the name been Treblig Nor near everyone would have instantly noticed.

When I first saw your comments on the TWP blog I assumed you were an alter-ego. Then maybe a spy since you seemed to be quick with inside information. :zipper_mouth_face:

Emanuele.

1 Like

So the Big Red Button is really the very one from Maniac Mansion??
Genius! :joy::joy:

1 Like

Hello all - just stumbled into this thread, love it. So cool to see the stories/references behind nicks.

Mine is also a reference to an old game - The Bards Tale.

ā€˜Lie with passion and be forever damnedā€™ is a pass phrase in one of the dungeons. As someone mentioned before, this game for me was one of my prime motivations to learn proper English, since localizations just did not happen back then. And it set the tone to my gaming preferences - role playing games and adventures :slight_smile:

The phrase stuck :smile:

Cheers,
Andy

2 Likes

I read the blog from the beginning but started commenting only some months later.
First I hesitated to use this nickname because I thought itā€™s stupid/strange to use this particular name on a blog by the Ron Gilbert.

But at least it was one of the few places the origin of my name could be understood :slight_smile:

2 Likes
2 Likes

There is a chance Iā€™m not @RonGilbert. But maybe I am.

5 Likes

I like to say ā€œyour faceā€ to people
(your face likes to say ā€œyour faceā€ to people). It started before I was a teenager, them become like an OCD habit, until it seemed stupid and juvenile (ā€œyour faceā€ is stupid and juvenile) and the phrase was out of order (your face is out of order).

Years later while working a lot of overtime and getting punchy I started saying ā€œyour faceā€ again with a vengeance. Much of the time it makes no sense (your face makes no sense), but thatā€™s what I love about it; the absurdity. The results are unpredictable. Maybe itā€™s only hilarious to me (your face is hilarious), but sometimes it fits perfectly.

I donā€™t use it as a screen name very often, but itā€™s nice and anonymous. Not to be anonymous in order to behave like a troll, more to separate the extracurricular side from the real me that is a responsible parent with a job.

So thatā€™s my storyā€¦
I do appreciate the regulars in this forum. Everyone is very respectful even if prone to the occasional overly verbose rabbit hole of logic (your face is a rabbit hole).

3 Likes

WhatĀ“s wrong with your faaaaace?

1 Like