To those who have a peculiar/funny/cryptic nickname: what does it mean?

@milanfahrnholz Diverting from names to avatars… is that a monatto in your new one?

Kuma is just the Japanese word for “bear”.

1 Like

Very close. I was inspired to do this one when I saw an old picture of someone wearing those plague protective gear masks that look like giant bird beaks.

I think it was this one.

Why I gave him a suit, I have no idea maybe because stripes are easy to paint(at least easier than folds of a coat). Also the hellish backround colours are mostly there because I liked the way it looked. :slight_smile:

So you did the drawing in the avatar… he seems to wear a judge’s suit.

Oh like a robe? Yeah, he wears a tie though. You can hardly see it because it´s so small (the original is much bigger).

That was the first image that came to my mind when I saw the drawing, although I visioned a mask longer than the one shown in the picture you posted.

Also, the red and yellow shades of the avatar remind me of the sky in Munch’s “The Scream”.

There might be some, though I´m pretty sure that one was part of it because the angle is even the same. Maybe it´s a mixture of several images.

Thanks, though maybe I was going more for a Francis Bacon (should have used more browns for that maybe) I liked the way this turned out, especially the contrast of the colours.

Oohh… bacon…

2 Likes

Is the tie a reference to some formal Magritte characters?

Oh yeah, maybe I was thinking of that. There is plenty of those suited figures in his works. As I´ve said another reason was because it was easy to do.

In case anyone cares for a larger resolution.

It´s acrylic on canvas btw.

4 Likes

I love that :slight_smile: I hadn’t appreciated the detail in the avatar version.

1 Like

The plague doctor, it was also in an adventure game for Nintendo 3DS: Zero Time Dilemma

1 Like

Here’s a better scanning of the original xilography from Paul Furst, year 1656: “Der Doctor Schnabel von Rom” (Doctor Beak from Rome).

At sides of the doctor there is a composition in rhymes, a joke, in german mixed with latin. Are some of the german speaking users of the forum able to translate it? I’m pretty curious about it.

Yes, it´s mostly about the colours and the little details like the tie (which is a little darker in the original). However, as you can see I can´t draw hands to save my life.

That images has inspired several artists.

I could if my latin (which I never had at school) was any better. Some words however, look like like they were neither, though.

I kinda like that the hands are a bit ‘off’. It makes it more surreal.

I´ll pretend it was intentional then. :slight_smile:

I did the figure first and then the backround the reason for the white edges around the hands is that it was too difficult to fill everything around them without going over the edges, so I bascially just gave up.

1 Like

Maybe they are not hands. It’s a bird, after all.

The colors are very good; they remind me of a Kandinski painting.

A search for images with similar colors provides other inspiring modern art paintings.

Is this the only painting that you have?

No, I can cherrypick some that I consider showable, if you´re interested.

I definitely am. Maybe you can open a new thread?

Ah, I really don´t want to selfplug anything that´s not worth it anyway. Also it really isn´t that much, so I´ll just throw this here in and be done with it.

As we have many italians here, you maybe will like this.

This one is more obscure, I don´t think many will know the original.

I think @yrface especially will appreciate this

CrimsonKing

First two are acrylic on canvas, last is pencil on paper with (as with the original) watercolors.

8 Likes