UK Summer Heatwave

Yes, here in Germany the quality of the food sold by Aldi and Lidl is very high. An exception are the non-food products like lawnmowers or weird kitchen helpers …

1 Like

Same here. If you want quality food you have to go to M&S (expensive but very good quality) or Waitrose (expensive but good quality), to us here Lidl and Aldi have been a revelation both value for money AND quality.

I just got 4 brilliant German lagers for £2.99. Excellent chicken for sandwiches and a loaf of bread for under £5. With change.

@anon36378415’s two suggestions are good :smiley:

1 Like

In a few weeks there is a round anniversary of the one and only time I´ve been in England and London. It was summer and we got every weather including heat.

But that is so long ago that the most important question of faith at the time was:

Oasis or Blur?

1 Like

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain of course!

If you’d surveyed random people on the street and I happened to be on that street, I probably would’ve said Oasis.

2 Likes

I don´t know much by Blur and I guess people who are into Gorillaz should like them. But I fucking that wanna be grunge woo-hoo song.

Wonderwall is so ridicously overplayed which I can´t fault Oasis for, but I just can´t listen to it without wanting to smash a guitar Bluto in Animal House style.

There are actually lots of other Oasis songs I like a lot even on that same album. So with a Royal Guard musket to my head I would probably go with them, myself .

They can´t hold a candle to the amazing greatness of the Portsmouth Sinfonia!

1 Like

Oh, come on! The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain is really great. I like their version of Nirvana’s Smells Like Teen Spirit more than the original version:

1 Like

Better than Smells Like Nirvana?

But still I am talking about The Portsmouth Sinfonia, the greatest orchestra there ever was and ever will be!

1 Like

The best video from Al is “Fat”.

Kunstbanause. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nur wer selbst einer ist, erkennt das. Du Feierfurzer.

1 Like

Hate, presumably?

I didn’t mind it at the time, but it was overplayed too.

Yeah. I like their lesser played ones like Little by Little and Stop Crying Your Heart Out. And Noel Gallagher’s instrumental that he did for the first X-Files movie.

But in general I’m not a fan of Brit poop. Er… nah, I’m going to leave that as it is.

Yeah. I hate it so much my hate consumes my vocabulary.

grafik

I come all ze way from Vienna to London and even here people nothing but confirm my zeories.

1 Like

1994 I was firmly in the Oasis camp being 15, & Working class.
Oasis had better songs and were from poor backgrounds. Blur were all middle class private music lessons and were technically better musicians.

Now all these years later I like a lot of both but Oasis are more than Wonderwall and Blur are more than Coffee & TV and Song 2.

1996 they year when Oasis played Knebworth sold out gigs where 4 million people applied for tickets was also a very hot year. We got to the semi final of the Euro Championships as well only to… I can’t say it… Mumble mumble Germany… Mummble. We also hosted the competition which helps. Look at Russia done pretty well for everyone’s worst team.

:older_man: Ah yesh! The shummer of '69 '76 . That lashted from April until October. It wash dry too-hoo. The only reashon it got colder wash the oil crisish sho we didn’t drive our automobilesh like you youngshters do-hoo.

Seriously, 50 years (42 but who’s counting) is nothing in climatological terms. Also global warming doesn’t mean warmer summers per se. It means the average yearly temperature (over the whole planet) rising and disturbing the climate as we are used to. More extreme weather, winds, drought, rain,… Just think of it as a trampoline that gets pressed harder on.

No wocking furries, mate!

They’ve been doing that almost every sunny day for over the last 3 months here. Usually they only do that from mid May until mid September.

sleep naked?
drink hot drinks? (people in the desert do)
Imagine it is freezing and you want to get a hot blanket to wrap yourself into?
Wrap your house in a big tin foil hat! (really, that helps to reflect all the sunlight and keep the heat out)

3 Likes

You know it has got TOO HOT for the U.K when, as today I refused a cup of tea. I don’t think anyone saw or heard anything so I think I am alright. :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Have a shower but mix in more cold than hot so you have a nice cool refreshed feeling.

Someone on The Last Leg (Brilliant comedy current affairs program British Channel 4 - hosted by the excellent Aussie Stand Up Adam Hills and 2 British Stand ups), said he sleeps with wet socks on???

I don’t know about that one. I think it would dampen your bed and make you want to go for a piss all night.