Using Windows Store save games with Steam

Is there any chance Windows Store save games of the game could be used in the Steam version of Thimbleweed Park?

They can, but I don’t know where the Windows Store version keeps the savegame files. They are all cloud-based, but they must exist on the local machine. I don’t think they are in the usual place. I can ask the Windows programmer, but if anyone else on the forums knows that might be faster.

1 Like

Thank you! I tried the usual places but didn’t find anything. I’ll wait then.

For Steam, please check this folder in your computer:

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps

(depending on the bit-version of your PC, the “Program Files” folder can have different names).

You should find a “common” folder or a folder with your nickname on Steam – check both of them.
Inside you will find the Terrible Toybox and Thimbleweed Park folder. Browse them until you find the savegame files.

About Windows Store: do you want to access the store online?
Can I know which version of Thimbleweed Park are you playing (PC, Xbox…) ?

I am running the PC version (0.7.2.2) 1410.938

I think I found them here:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Packages\TerribleToybox.ThimbleweedPark_1gqq6c01ymkxp\SystemAppData\wgs\0009000005E4490E_A3AB010075F1419181EF64573C84DE80\2211AE9885FC4AE7B190B984F47FD25A

I can count 9 files of approx. 500kb. Inspecting them I could see a PNG marker.

What do you mean by “accessing the store online”?

Extracking the chunk after the marker and opening it in a picture viewer I could see one of my savegame’s thumbnail so this definitely seems to be it.

OK.

The folder you indicated is right.
Copy all the files (including the .PNG, which are the thumbnails) to the savegame folder in Steam, e.g.:

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Terrible Toybox\Thimbleweed Park\Savegames

I can’t check the correctness of all the folders in the path above, now, but the path should be similar to that one.

Actually, there are no .png files, filenames are all some kind of hash, like “4C7C88AA755A4C8FB0EFB2A52FEB55E3”.

I’ll try to copy them in the folder you indicate.

Thank you!

Make a backup first!

1 Like

This folder doesn’t exist :confused:

@ZakPhoenixMcKracken, this is not where the same games are stored on Steam.

They are in AppData\Roaming\Terrible Toybox\Thimbleweed Park

Sorry, I was relying on my memory, an error that I must avoid in the future :frowning:

Oh, right. Thanks.

That’s it indeed.

Unfortunately they don’t seem the have the same format.

The steam files have a 320x180 png file and a .save file containing save data.

What I found for the UWP version seems to be contained inside a single file for each savegame. And PNG data is embedded into this file (I tried to extract it and it’s 320x180 also).

You could try to extract one of those files, rename the two new files (according to the filename conventions for the savegame files of the Steam version) and copy them into the TWP Steam directory.

Yeah, Windows UWP is a complete clusterfuck. I have no idea why they needed to bundle the files up like that. Why can’t they exist in the file system like normal files? If you have the know-how and can extract the files, the internal format is 100% the same for all platforms.

Also have a look here (once you unclusterfucked the UWP clusterfuck)

1 Like

Just ask the windows programmer :wink:
It looks almost as convoluted as a Windows registry entry.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this would work or not, but it seems to be a tool to browse application data for UWP apps, built into Windows 10 developer mode:

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/06/08/using-the-app-file-explorer-to-see-your-app-data/

It looks like it may only work for Apps You are developing though, it doesn’t seem to be able to browse to arbitrary folders…

1 Like

I hate Windows 10.
In my office, I’m the only one who has Windows 7 on his PC, and I live happily ever after.
It’s enough for programming, why mess with a good thing?

2 Likes

It will be difficult to extract the correct data without having some ideas of the savegame’s structure. I’ll see what I can do…