WARNING: dangerous topic (politics!)

Sounds like the German government after the last election: We got Angela Merkel again…

1 Like

No no, it’s different! :smiley:

Yeah, what do you think (or hope) will happen?
I hope they’ll say it’s illegal, because I think Johnson did this to try to force through a no-deal.

1 Like

Oh, Oh, take the suitcase 11!

https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/12/deal-a.jpg

To be serious again: I really don’t know how this will end. For me it seems that all possibilities are possible. Especially with Boris Johnson.

2 Likes

Same here.

2 Likes

Eheh… with a NO DEAL, from one day to another, every informatic procedure that involves something UK, should be split in two: EU and NOT-EU.
Lot of work for us, on different programs.

@tasse-tee please enlighten me: why Mr. Johnson wants a NO DEAL at every cost?
Isn’t more convenient for everyone to reach an agreement, a deal?

1 Like

But isn’t that already the case for other countries, like the Swiss?

Because he doesn’t like the content of the contract between the UK and the EU.

1 Like

It’s different, because Swiss is already a NON-EU country.
There are procedures where “things” from Italy, France, Germany, Austria, TheseDicks and so on have in common many resources.
Sometimes it’s easy to change the classification, because of the country.
Sometimes it’s not, for instance, if there was a unique procedure for ALL the products of EUROPE, now it must be created a new procedure, ONLY for UK.
That’s doubles information, costs, time, production.

1 Like

And also because he thinks any Brexit is better than no Brexit, and that the British people want any Brexit… even one that benefits no one…

1 Like

And you, what do you think about the imminent Brexit? @tasse-tee @PiecesOfKate

Doesn’t he still think that the UK would save a lot of money after a no-deal Brexit?

I’ve read that UK must pay to EU 39 billions of punds.

I can’t confirm the sum, but you are right. But you should keep in mind that the UK got already money from the EU and is/was involved in several European projects (for example research projects).

1 Like

Johnson thinks that the UK would not owe the full 39 billion if we left without a deal. And Brexit itself would supposedly save the government a lot of money, but I’m not sure if that’s still the case in a no-deal scenario.

I think it’s a solid argument that parliament should be in session while the matter of Brexit is still unresolved. Deliberately hindering progress in order to force through an unfavorable outcome is an abuse of power. The fact that one court agrees with this adds weight to the argument, and I think the Supreme Court will find it outweighs whatever reasoning the other side were using (the court that declared it legal).

1 Like

So basically, in an Ace Attorney scenario, I think the prosecutor will win. :wink:

1 Like

Why do you think so?

I don’t think it would. I’m not sure why the government does. In fact, an independent watchdog commented last year that the opposite would likely be the case.

3 Likes

I find it quite shocking how the few people in charge gamble with the future of millions.

I’m pretty certain Mr. Johnson hoped the EU would, in the end, make concessions to avoid a no deal (I’m also pretty sure that won’t happen), and he can’t have parliament interfering with his plan. But I think he really is undermining democracy with his actions, and not matter the outcome, the damage will be done.

Personally, I still have the small hope that Brexit (if it’s not outright cancelled) will suck so much that Britain will eventually return to the EU, without special status this time. But I fear with the reckless and egoistical breed we have nowadays for our political caste, this will never come to pass. Looks like we might eventually welcome the Scots, though …

3 Likes