Official Thimbleweed Park Forums

WARNING: dangerous topic (politics!)

Naive… never heard about Google translate?

1 Like

Which reminds me that Twitter has this build in Microsoft Translator that can translate anything that is in any other language but your own.

And sometimes I tweet in german…

So…any…any of you guys ever used that function for me? :angel:

3 Likes

Sometimes I did. I also wished a happy New year in Finnish to @Festarossa :grin:

3 Likes

To be fair, I mostly tweet in german when I think the content is only of relevance to my german speaking followers. Apart from that I´m international. :slight_smile:

grafik

For a moment there I thought you inserted every flag individually from the emoji panel :laughing:

2 Likes

So, it worked! :smile:

(I should have capped my screenshot better to remove that line at the top for better effect) .

2 Likes

That’s what made me suspicious, then I tapped a flag to check, heheh.

1 Like

No, but the other day during my ~biweekly Facebook visit I had to tell it to never translate French again. It’s not impossible that I’ve done the same for German on Twitter.

I got an advertisement about this:

There are a lot of interesting proposals that I entirely subscribe. Sometimes one is stunned by how distant people can highlights the same solutions.
The fact is that unfortunately, when you click on “vote and propose your solutions”, they show you only fourteen out of one hundred and fourty per session.

5 Likes

This is one of the things I meant when I said Europe had to make laws to regulate activities in the new global space of the internet. Late, but better late than ever! Now go on this way. :clap: :clap: :clap: :+1:

Give me the key to your internet, you´re drunk.

3 Likes

I’m widely sober, my friend! :slightly_smiling_face:

I was giving you a break there, buddy.

That was horrible. Those upload filters are a horrendous idea.
It’s one of the few things UK can be happy about they are leaving but then on the other hand they are great making such shit up by themselves.

2 Likes

It was reported there were even demonstrations in Germany against this good law. Frankly speaking, I don’t understand them.
Also, the parties of the center and left here in Italy were supporters of these regulations, while all the so called populist parties, the League and Five stars were against. Everything at its place, from my point of view.
To me, internet has to cease to be something different from the world we live in, with its rules. The internet, and those who work on the internet, have to respect the laws we have in the real world, as for copyright, taxes, and adult contents too.
This is only a primary, and very late, step. More have to come, hopefully.

The first big thing is that Google and co. will start to pay copyright fee to the authors way more than the misery they did before. If you compare youtube and Spotify, you will easily get the difference.

Behind some of those things we claim as the new freedom of the internet, hides some losing of rights that were hard earned trough centuries.

Have you also read Article 13 which they have also passed?

I’m very anti-censorship and Article 13 is inacceptable for this reason and also technical reasons:
Automatic filters which will be required never work sufficient enough, they will either be ineffective (i.e. against the law) or they will block more then they should.

My hope is that YouTube will just block the whole EU. This will free me up quite some time when I’m not being seduced to watch videos there anymore.

3 Likes

10 of thousands did indeed protest, but not because they don’t agree that the current situation is untenable, but because they don’t agree with the solution that has now been passed in the EU parliament. This will still need to be implemented in national law in the member countries, so we don’t yet know exactly what the eventual regulations will look like, but it’s not implausible that it will mostly benefit the large companies and not the small artists and other creative people.

Personally I am still a bit on the fence but lean towards being against the new law.

What I would like to see is an explanation for how the regulation is supposed to help small, independent artists. In my view “google has to pay more” = “better outcome for small artists” does not quite cut it as a justification for ‘article 13’.

I’ve never talked about (only) small artists.

I want the internet be an extension of the real world. With all the rules and rights of the real world. That’s the point of view.

A journalist get paid from small or big companies, he/she has to get paid.

Article 13 has been changed, now into article 17. Anyway I don’t see perils for freedom of information.

It doesn’t change anything for something like YouTube (which is commercial).
And the only way to have effective filters (which is possible per se) is to just filter much more than necessary.

I certainly don’t want such kind of automatic filters demanded by governments.

2 Likes