WARNING: dangerous topic (politics!)

Yeah, I saw that on Twitter. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Isnā€™t Covid 19 all the wrong doings of CCPā€¦ But still they are buying their way out of the situationā€¦ I am so frustrated!

2 Likes

Taken down by the centrist wing of his own party, not unlike Sanders and the DNC
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-leak-report-corbyn-election-whatsapp-antisemitism-tories-yougov-poll-a9462456.html

2 Likes

I usually stay clear of politicsā€¦
but remember the times when presidents did not take themselves too seriously the entire time?

Tl;dr : check out the bit at 16:35

3 Likes

In my opinion, self irony is a sign of a stable and intelligent mind. I know nothing about Reagan and his politics, but from what Iā€™ve seen, the humor was intelligent and polite, and this is something Iā€™m missing from current politics. Dignity, politeness, actual seriousness - because being serious doesnā€™t mean you donā€™t ever joke, it means you get to the point.

Weā€™ve had a clown governing us for almost 20 years. I was SO ashamed. Everyone was making fun of Italy, yet people kept voting for him. He slowly morphed in a caricature of himself, becoming more and more grotesque.

The orange clown is exactly like him. I hope for the Americans I know, which are good people, that they get over this soon.

2 Likes

I used to think exactly like you years ago. But having the chance to know better some of the dynamics behind politics and choices in public life and administration, I have to say that we had a judgement that was too severe towards Berlusconi. From the political and economical point of view, he failed in his ā€œliberal revolutionā€. I donā€™t follow this kind of economical address, but I must admit that it could work. This hasnā€™t happened in Italy. Demonstration is that public health system in Lombardy has discouraged public proximity medicine in favour of big private structures. And thatā€™s probably why a healthy and well organised region like that has suffered so much losses (together with such a bad luck of being hit by the virus so early).
But on the other side, recent intercepts show how magistrature was determined to hit B. even beyond his actual crimes.
Which brings us back to the larger question of politics being animated by desire of affirmation and clash, instead of public service. Such an approach intensifies the level of rethoric of division. This is a thing I notice also at a European level.

Even if my political beliefs are/were different, my main complain about National Silvio was personal, not political. The way he behaved, the things he said in public. I didnā€™t even care about the whole sex party thing (it was his private life, who cares what he does in his spare time) but when he represented Italy he had no regard for etiquette. And not in a good way. Thereā€™s a line between joking and being just ridiculous.

1 Like

The private man and the politician are the same person. If you have a high institutional role, your acts speak for you.
If youā€™re convicted for tax evasion, are you the right leader for a County where tax evasion is a known and serious issue?
Are you the right leader for ANY Country?

If youā€™re disrespectful towards women with acts and words, how can you be a worthy representative for your female citizens?

I donā€™t apologize him, I donā€™t justify him, I donā€™t reevaluate him.

We donā€™t need more historical revisionism.
ā€œhe did good things as wellā€ is a phrase Iā€™ve heard a lot of times referring to Mussolini.

4 Likes

He was such a charismatic union buster.

For the European folks, how happy are you right now about not living in the U.S? Whatā€™s it like to have some semblance of a public good and government services? Asking for me.

1 Like

You mean in general or in respect of Corona?

2 Likes

I remember my fellow Europeans idolizing the USA and The American Dream, but that ship kinda sailed some time in the late nineties and has recently sailed off the edge of an ever-flatter Earth, never to be seen again

1 Like

I feel like nineties must be a typo for sixties? :angel:

Nah, in the nineties we were still running around in starred & striped t-shirts, excited about spending a vacation or high school year in the US and bringing home Mickey Mouse tea towels. The Gulf Warā€™s fallout put an end to that, but it wasnā€™t instant.

1 Like

I think that describes my own post-9/11 high school experience well enough[1] and fresh teens are still very excited to visit the US today, but I wouldnā€™t be inclined to call that idolizing the US or the American Dream. :slight_smile: But the '60s had mass protests against Vietnam and the '80s had mass anti-NATO-nukes protests (=American nukes).

[1] Although I donā€™t know how popular American flags were as fashion items.

2 Likes

Beside being a horrible and corrupt person anyways that orange man completely āˆ—beepedāˆ— up about everything possible regarding the currently ongoing pandemic.
Iā€™m afraid a lot of people, especially in Europe, Asia, or Australia, are happy not being anywhere near that.

With stuff that happened after 9/11 (Patriot Actā€¦) Iā€™m honestly didnā€™t want to go there even for a visit.
And especially not now since the current POTUS happened.

Regarding actually living there: Iā€™m particularly not impressed with health care and gun laws in general and happily stay were I am.

2 Likes

During these days, there are many news about USA election methods of voting.
One of them, not in all the States, is to vote by mail.
You get your ballot, make your vote, then mail the papers in the specific mailbox.

Nowā€¦ is there some Americans over there that could please explain me the following?

1. voting & mailing is possible many days before the election day. When the ballot will be opened and the vote counted?
  2. vote is not anonymous (at least in Italy, if ā€œon the ballot there is anything that can identify the voter, the vote is void.ā€). Is that legal?
  3. How can you be sure that your vote has been counted?

Thanks.

Yes, you can request a mail-in ballot and send it ahead of the election. Technically it just has to be postmarked by Election Day at the latest. Which means we may not know the results on Nov 3rd.

Many states offer early voting which Iā€™m going to take advantage of this weekend. They have a library setup with voting stations here, just like on Election Day, but much less crowded. This way you can make sure your vote is counted.

1 Like

No worries about the fact that your vote is not secret, this way?

I find it hard to think the US presidential election is in any way democratic.