Was Boris killed by... (Spoilers)

Well, the TWP world is a digital world. Made with computers. So, the killers (and the whack-in-the-head-in-alley-thing) could be anything. Could be just a program to terminate other pixels. That would of course mean that some upper world programmer was malicious.

But no, I really think that the AI was the culprit via sheriff/coroner/manager. Willie was there when the body was dragged to the pond, so he could have taken the wallet after Boris was dead.

And I think Ricki is one of the robots.

Then again, it might be that Doug is just too enthusiastically using his showel…

Yes, Ricki is obviously one of the robots. I say it because she’s also one of the ones who foolishly talks about Thimbleweed Park as a town that is not dying.

1 Like

I agree, and I also think the normal-head vs. big-head thing is just one step too far in digging to find hidden meaning. All characters have bug heads as a matter of the style used to make them expressive. Photos and pictures of people are drawn in a different style. I would t read too much into that.

dZ.

1 Like

Sorry, but this answer is too obvious and simple for this forum. You have to include at least one conspiration theory in your answer. Ah - hold on - here we go:

1 Like

You are right. It is Delores. She is the alter ego of Ron. So the incarnation of the ‘programmer’ therefor responsible for everything.

1 Like

Well, Chuck reveals at one point he hopes she is smart enough to follow the hints he has laid out while hiding them for all the others…
but since YOU control both her and the others…

1 Like

True and also he points out the limited dialogue options. She couldn´t say no because she literally couldn´t.

True!

Anothee thought: don’t they all look an awful lot like Chuck ? Or David Fox?

2 Likes

Delores has a choice and the game can end without her switching off the machine.

Yeah yeah I know blowing up the house…

But really:

2 Likes

You mean pressing the red button, right? Well, I guess killing only a limited number of residents is better than all of them.

Or better yet, don’t give Delores the choice at all, make sure somebody else has the red button, and quickly press it just before she uses her balloon animal. Maybe just to be sure, when she is inside the mansion so that the balloon animal can never be found and be used by any resident after they continue to live their lives after the ‘Game Over’ screen. Happy ending. :slight_smile:
I actually enjoyed playing Delores the most, but if she needs to be sacrificed so be it. :cry:

But if you by end, mean seeing the end credits, then please share…

Yes, I mean blowing up the Edison Mansion mansion. That’s a kind of choice that prevents the player to experience the other ending, but it’s a choice nonetheless.

In my opinion, those who perceived the last actions of Delores as a mass murdering, should seriously consider this alternate ending as the lesser of two evils.

But do you really consider getting a kill screen the same as getting an alternate ending?

Yeah, maybe the game should have ended on this note:

I perceive it as an alternate way to end the game. If there is a giant “Game Over” text on the screen and the player can’t proceed, then it’s the/an end.

Maybe. The fact that Delores unilaterally chose the fate of all the other citizens (except one) is questionable.

1 Like

If you will ever decide to open a new thread about this topic I would gladly participate (time permitting. My list of bookmarked posts to reply to is growing)

Is the Sheriff/Manager/Coroner present in two different rooms at the same time? (e.g. by having one character at the Hotel and another in some other location - if that happens they must be clone of the same robot)

How could Delores have possibly made that decision? She’s just a character in a computer game–and she knows it. If Delores made the decision to choose the fate of all the other citizens (instead of you as the player), that undermines the in-game revelation that they’re merely characters in a game. For Delores to make that decision on her own, she’d have to be able to do it independent of your control or that of the developers. On the contrary, you repeatedly clicked through what little willpower she was programmed to have when it came time to push in that final tube…

OK, going full meta/Matrix, here. Don’t read the following stuff unless you’re OK with senseless cheap pseudo-philosophical interpretations.

Several characters reject the player’s commands, in more than one occasion. Most notably, Ray refused to confess to Reyes her real intents despite the player wanting her to do so. We don’t know if she does that because she was programmed that way by the developers or because it’s the effect of a technical bug that gives her free will, but if it’s a bug it shows that the game includes a mechanism for a character to refuse to do something.

The exact same behavior persists across multiple playthroughs, and I can confirm that my game demonstrated the same behavior as yours did. I’m pretty sure other people would also confirm that same behavior. I think it would be hard to claim identical behavior across multiple copies as being free will, since it’s the same behavior, regardless of the order that players play through events, or what tasks the players had their characters do.

Guys, you are really overthinking this. It’s a gag. It’s intended to show that the characters are thinking one thing but say another. It’s irony.

dZ.

1 Like