What about drawing/changing the top graphics of this forum?

We could write a script changing all fixed positioned elements but it would break a lot (like this edit window I’m currently typing in). Also sometimes you have to change margins/paddings etc. to make it look OK again.

I’ll look into it putting some scripts up on userstyles.org. It’s nice that they can be configured quite easily!

Just install my script and select your desired background! You can even use custom ones!
Thimbleweed Park™ Forums fixes - Advanced Style Settings

3 Likes

It works. Impressive.

from now on I will refer to you as “thou who hast no life”.

1 Like

That feeling when even that title gets taken from you… :crying_cat_face:

Why not use the graveyard instead? It should be wide enough for every screen.

1 Like

It’s a little creepy, but I agree.

I’ve now put some additional style scripts on there:

As always: Use Advanced Style Settings to change the site’s default.

2 Likes

One cool thing about Discourse is that we support “per user themes”.

If someone put a theme together per: https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-to-develop-custom-themes/60848 then, who knows, perhaps @RonGilbert could enable it here so you can pick from a few options.

2 Likes

Good idea. And since no one volunteered yet to make it I’ve made it myself: Thimbleweed Park™ Forums fixes
Apart from the default header image and my “improved” version I’ve now added: Books and Cemetery.

You don’t need graphic artists for some copy&paste, one programmer is enough!

1 Like

I’m just uploading the images here to reduce access to external resources.

3 Likes

I like the third one.

The third one is the full size cemetery (main layer) with a width of 2358 pixels (with extended background layers to fill the whole width).

The second one is the one I’ve used previously on userstyles, it’s the same image as the full width one but resized to a width of 1920 (“Full HD”).
I had to use a version with reduced colours since there is a size limit on userstyles for images. I’m now referencing this image from here instead, although still not perfect because Discourse converted this image to JPEG (which it hasn’t with the third one).

Btw. the first image uploaded here isn’t actually the one used via userstyles, I’ve added a little Easter egg there :slight_smile:

It looks like one of those 90s magic eye pictures and seems to spell out something…

Oh yeah. I could never get those to work for me!

Me neither. Or… I always got those in reverse. You know, you should focus “behind” the picture, but I actually always crossed my eyes and focus in front of it, so whatever I had to see was engraved instead of embossed, making it basically impossible to recognize.

Me neither at the time they were all the rage (and it made me crazy like Mr Pitt in that one Seinfeld episode). But about 10 years ago I dug about one of the old books and tried it and suddenly it worked somehow. I don´t really know why, though.

I always did that thing and always obtained the reversed version of the stereogram. It was like a superpower.

Must feel like being able to punch holes into everything with your eyes…awesome!

The height of the third one is also smaller, right?

Can you tell me what this limit is?

Could you give me the original image (which I assume was in a non-lossy image compression format)? I would like to experiment with it a bit and see if I can motivate Discourse to keep it in its original format.

Anyway, I have to confess that my interest about changing the top graphics of the forum wasn’t a personal one. I’m OK with the graphics. I was thinking more about a “heading of the month” thing, something that everyone could see.

They all have the same height of 140px which is the default header height with the default forum style here.
Since I use the compact header option I ensure they look good at a height of 82px (vertically centered).

First a clarification: This is a limit about screenshot sizes you are allowed to upload on userstyles.org, it has nothing to do with userstyles in general.
The limit is about 200 KiB. Also you can upload only up to 5 images and they are meant to “demonstrate what your style does”.

I assume it’s either using JPEG or PNG depending on which one results in a smaller file size. The full size image uses the original pixels from Mark while the other one was resized, i.e. having a lot of interpolated pixels making PNG less efficient.
I’ve already tried adding a transparent pixel to prevent JPEG conversion but it didn’t work.

Here’s the download.