What would you put in Room 101?

Yep, I guess it’s a bit of a fine line. I don’t like it when people are lazy or ignorant with language, but there are obviously other (such as cultural) reasons behind incorrect or different use of words, too.

Can you give an example for a cultural reason?

Yeah, I mean where do you draw the line between correct and incorrect if it´s just two different ways to express the same thing?

I like that! I’ll try and spread it over here.

That is more like slang though, rather than incorrect.

Please do! :smiley:

I don’t now the origins of that word. Maybe because a mobile phone is handy… :wink:

1 Like

Er, I don’t want to inadvertently offend anyone now but okay! One that springs to mind is ‘shut door’, omitting ‘the’. My boss from Yorkshire says that a lot. It’s just a regional variation.

2 Likes

Yeah, I reckon so :slightly_smiling_face: or because it sits in your hand.

1 Like

Ah, Ok, in terms of a dialect and not really a “reason” (for example because one would like to include every gender in one sentence)?

1 Like

We have it up North too! In Geordie terms: “I was PROPA radgie like!” :laughing:

3 Likes

Oh yeah! I kinda hear that one differently - doesn’t bother my eary holes as much :wink:

What’s ‘radgie’?

2 Likes

It can be used as an adjective or a noun - to mean “angry”, or “a violent/aggressive person”.

4 Likes

So can you speak a total geordie almost scottish sounding dialect, too? :smiley:

1 Like

Nope :sweat_smile: Although I know well what the dialect sounds like, I can’t replicate it.

4 Likes

I’m imagining that sentence spoken in a very proper accent voiced by a film star.

:door: coughing fits (while sleeping) :zzz:

2 Likes

Hey, turns out you were right about that! :smiley:

Normally yes.

That sounds excellent to me tbh. :slight_smile:

(Not that I like it super hot, but I strongly dislike too big of a difference between inside and outside.)

The conductors in Germany were all like “show me your ID” with the ticket. And I’m like wtf why…

But that aside.

You mean the “Personalausweis”/Identity card? That’s because we have
a) special tickets for children, pupils, students and older people (60 and above)
b) tickets that are bound to a specific person.
Both ticket types are (much more) cheaper than the normal tickets. To avoid the misuse of these tickets the ticket inspectors asking about your identity card.

Except if you travel with (insert Bundesland here) ticket on weekends.

2 Likes

Depends on the Bundesland and the ticket. For example you can get in NRW the “NRW Ticket” for adults and children (under 15). The ticket for children is 50% off.

1 Like

It´s possible that the bayern ticket is also for adults only. But then it doesn´t matter who bought it when people share they only count the number of people who claim to travel with the person that bought the ticket and that is it.

And that is what happens often on weekends at the trainstation people looking for four or five other co travellers to buy a bayern ticket and share the costs.