What would you put in Room 101?

That’s annoying. Why can’t you buy replacements for two days?

Because it happened yesterday and it´s a sunday (And I´m not sure I have the time on monday).

And this has to happen in winter too, when it´s dark most of the time (our weather is real crap atm, too). :unamused:

Oh dear. Candles? Could make it all cosy and atmospheric!

2 Likes

That´s sounds cool, I´m gonna go out and buy…ohhh…ah well I mean I have some light left at least(it´s not like they all went out, but still two in the same room is a bit much for a weekend day!), so with that little there is now it´s cosy and atmospheric anyway (and I´m glad I don´t have to worry about having to leave the house with weather like this!). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hindsight is 20/20, but when you go shopping, pick up some spare bulbs at least. And candles (and don’t forget the matches). Lamps, though, not expecting those to break.

Apropos:
:door: Modern LED bulbs with their inadequate light distribution (buying 100W equivalents, and still sitting in the dark!)

Sure I had some. My mistake was not checking beforehand that they had run out. (at least the ones that would fit).

That was a very old one, don´t know exactly what happened but it just doesn´t work anymore now, I must have broken it somehow. :man_shrugging:

And those that take ages to reach their full brightness (like a rarely spend enough time on the toilet for that one to be of any use!) !

1 Like

Handy for power cuts, too (second to a torch, which doesn’t risk setting the house on fire :smirk:) Guess I’m biased because I light lots of candles anyway.

1 Like

Update: Yay, I had forgotten I had a spare lamp! Everything fine now! :slight_smile:

Sounding like you speak from experience there.

Sounds like a cool way to spend an evening

:writing_hand: takes notes…

2 Likes

Haha, nice conversation here! I’m jumping in.
I do love led bulbs. I like that they offer a Wide customization while providing great energy saving.
Yeah if you expect from them the simplicity of the old bulbs, well you could be disappointed.
Take a look at: temperature of light (in Kelvin as the stars)
Quantity of light ( in lumen) you Need to reach at least 1400 lumens for a warm White (2700 - 3000 k light) in my opinion to reach the equivalent of the old 100 w bulbs. If The light emitted by the diods (leds) goes in all the directions, you could need even 1500 1600 lumens (depending also on the shape of the room and lamp).
I also love candles. I love warm light in general. Especially during Winter! (I would not even take off the Christmas decorations until spring!)

2 Likes

but requiring more resources to manufacture and being harder to recycle. And with the low energy consumption, no need to turn off the light any more when leaving the room, right? :wink:

I’m all for energy saving, but I am a little sceptic if LED bulbs are really so eco friendly. (Still leagues better than all those newfangled one-way lamps with the LEDs built right in, though).

Buying bulbs is more like a science now. Back then, knowing the socket type and how many watts the old bulb had pretty much had you covered. Now you have so many parameters to keep in mind and sizes and models to chose from; it’s insane. Buying a new bulb seems to require the same level of preparation as buying a new laptop, camera or smartphone! (I just bought an additional lamp to make reading on the living room sofa a bit more pleasant, because none of the LED bulbs I tried would light up the room sufficiently)

:door: SUVs

We have rather small streets in Regensburg and it´s not even like the countyside around it is THAT remote either. But especially in the city, I don´t get people who think they need these boats with wheels.

5 Likes

Yes, more resources in absolute terms. But was tungsten so easy to find and process?

Same as above. Also tungsten bulbs are one of the best known examples (together with nylon stockings) of planned obsolescence. There’s a famous case of one of the first filament bulbs ever produced (made with a carbon filament, before the introduction of the thinner tungsten filaments) dating back to the early twentieth century, still working in a U.S. fire station. Leds last longer than tungsten bulbs produced with planned obsolescence.

That’s great when you do not leave the room for too much time :stuck_out_tongue:

:laughing: You’re right, that’s true. But once you’ve mastered the new measurement of quantity of light (lumens) for your preferred kind of light, then it’s a lot easier.

1 Like

And you better learn to read light distribution diagrams and look at some data sheets before shopping for bulbs. Easier than many P&C adventure game puzzles :smile:.

Maybe candles is the better way to go :candle:. But psst., lest they forbid all but LED candles.

1 Like

Hehe :smile:
Anyway those charts with strange shapes are related to lamps in which bulbs are in :slightly_smiling_face:
If you don’t like leds, go for the halogen bulbs: they are almost identical to the tungsten bulbs under every aspect (but the lower energy consumption)!

1 Like

Actually I have a vague memory like that was a puzzle in some game… >_>

In the linked article, yes, but they are also available for the bulbs themselves (towards the bottom of the leaflets).

Used those for a bit, but they neither save that much energy nor do they last very long. So yeah, they come as close to a good old-fashioned incandescent bulb as it gets these days :slight_smile:.

1 Like

grafik

Gnihihihi

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Yeah, lower than tungsten… but very higher comparing to LEDs!
Indeed alogen lamps have been banned in the European Union because of their high energy consumption, just as like the old tungsten lamps.

Since a few years ago, as an “eco” option you had only those crappy fluorescent bulbs “which take ages to get fully bright”… But today LEDs solved the problem, at least for me.
I’m not referring to the old diods lamps, but the led filament ones (the ones with the yellow filaments inside, just to make myself clear.

You can choose the amount of light, they come in both the socket size, they come in varioous shapes and size, various temperatures, and they are also beautiful comparing to the clumsy alogen/fluorescent/diod lamps. Oh, and obviously they don’t need time to get bright.

:door: Discourse suddenly deciding to remove a quoted post from one of my comments from July last year (and drawing my attention to it with a notification)

Whyyyyyyyy?!

1 Like

Because Discourse is made in hell? :thinking:

3 Likes