Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders playthrough and hints

I must admit I gave up Sunday night after getting stuck in the Mayan maze and realizing I just don’t feel like making a map right now (Don’t drink and Zak).

Maybe this weekend I’ll bust out the graph paper and keep playing.

2 Likes

yes, you should! Don’t let a little maze hold you back.

1 Like

Yes, but David Fox is a gentleman. He thought of a way to keep track of the doors you enter in, in the game…

1 Like

Diablo ! (I’m replaying that at the moment, too)

1 Like

I liked the simplicity of this game. (I have never tried Diablo 2 and 3.)

I never understood what the witch was saying (“I sense a soul in search of answers.”).

1 Like

I am replaying Diablo before playing Diablo2 for the first time. I chose another class; it’s harder than I remembered. Or I just suck at playing a mage/wizard.

I always thought this Cairn character soundsed a lot like Sean Connery.

1 Like

Isn’t it normal that barbarian and warrior classes are easier to play in RPG-like games, while wizards require more intelligent/tactical play?

1 Like

There are definitely games in which mages are comparatively overpowered.

I never played Diablo, but I did play Diablo 2 with an assassin.

Apparently, the curve is steeper. Meaning if you survive long enough, wizards are very powerful and easier to play. Luckily Diablo has a mechanism of restarting the game with your character stats and inventory, but that kind of feels like cheating…

1 Like

Hm, I still have a savegame from 1999 and one from 2001…

(I wonder if it is possible to get stuff like split/merge rights without Leader badge…)

1 Like

I haven’t had much time to play more, but two more quick observations:

The maze that was mentioned earlier was mildly tedious. It wasn’t long enough to be a true annoyance, but there was too much pixel hunting.

The way to obtain the shard at the end of the maze was cute.

2 Likes

Also the overall structure is quite easy to recognise.

What do you mean in particular?

Mexico Maze Time. Let’s see how it goes, and how messy my map ends up looking…

3 Likes

At first I thought I was going to have to map it until I realized there was a pixel hunting method that didn’t require that.

only if you are lucky… and it doesn’t work if for whatever reason you need to revisit the maze.

But in general you can also just wander around the mazes and stumble upon an exit too.

1 Like

I believe to find the torch to lit up

1 Like

That’s true and something I did when playing the first times, having no idea what’s going on.
Those mazes look HUGE this way. If you map them out they actually aren’t complex.

Maybe the first time when you don’t know what to look for.

But maybe he doesn’t know there is another helping item?
Mild spoiler: Actually it’s not another item.
Next spoiler: Turn it on.

3 Likes

:open_mouth:
I didn’t know that either!! Or I forgot all about it.
After so many years, this game continues to amaze me!

2 Likes

Really? How did you manage to keep track of the doors you entered without getting lost?

1 Like

I knew to use it to light the torches
but I forgot/didn’t know you could also turn on the lighter (for some time before it becomes too hot) - the light spot isn’t that big either…
I always used the what is verb to find torches in the dark
and I usually got lost anyway! :joy:

REAL BIG SPOILER: I definitely need to check out that room inside the Sfinx with my lighter

1 Like