Official Thimbleweed Park Forums

All about books!

I´m trying to compile a list, mostly for myself of must-read genre fiction books. I´ve included Sci-Fi Fantasy and Horror, tried to be as chronological (starting in the 19th century) as possible and only included one per author which really wasn´t easy in some cases. There are many “read before you die lists” but I haven´t seen one soley focusing on genre literature so far, so I just gave it a try. I´ll add to it later but also take suggestions and corrections.

Epic Of Gilgamesh
Song Of The Nibelungs
Beowulf
Arabian Nights
Homer - The Odyssey
Thomas Moore - Utopia
Geoffery Chaucer - Canterbury Tales
Wolfram von Eschenbach - Parzifal
Ludovico Ariosto - Orlando Furioso
John Milton - Paradise Lost
William Shakespeare - Midsummernight´s Dream
Johnathan Swift - Gullivers Travels
Lewis Carrol - Alice In Wonderland & Alice Through The Looking Glass
Mary Shelley - Frankenstein
Gaston Leroux - Phantom Of The Opera
Victor Hugo - The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Jules Verne - Journey to the Center of the Earth
Edgar Allen Poe - The Fall Of The House Of Usher
Oscar Wilde - The Picture Of Dorian Gray
Henry James - The Turn Of The Screw
Robert Louis Steven - Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Frank L. Baum - The Wizard Of Oz
Fritz Leiber - The Big Time
H.G. Wells - The Time Machine
Ambroce Bierce - At Occurence At Owl Creek Bridge
Bram Stoker - Dracula
Franz Kafka - The Metamorphosis / In The Penal Colony
E.R. Eddison - The Worm Ourobous
H.P. Lovecraft - Shadow Over Innsmouth
Edgar Rice Burroghs - A Princess Of Mars
Robert E. Howard - Conan The Barbarian
JRR Tolkien - Lord Of The Rings
C.S. Lewis - The Chronicles Of Narnja
Shirley Jackson - The Haunting Of Hill House
Ray Bradbury - Something Wicked This Way Comes
Richard Matheson - I Am Legend
Charles Beaumont - Short Stories
Piere Boulle - Planet Of The Apes
Ira Levin - The Stepford Wives
Stefan Wul - Fantastic Planet
Michael Moorcock - Elric Of Melniboné
Harlan Ellison - A Boy And This Dog
James Graham Ballard - High-Rise
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5
John R Delany - Dhalgren
Robert Bloch - Psycho
Frank Herbert - Dune
Stanislaw Lem - Solaris
Joe Haldeman - The Forever War
Arkadi & Boris Strugazki - Hard To Be A God
Isaac Asimov - Foundation Trilogy
Arthur C. Clarke - Childhood´s End
Jean Pierre Andrevon - Machine Men Against Gandahar
Robert A Heinlein - Stranger In A Strange Land
Aldous Huxley - Strange New World
George Orwell - 1984
Phillip K. Dick - Ubik
Gene Wolfe - The Book Of The New Sun
William Goldman - The Princess Bride
Piers Anthony - On A Pale Horse
Peter Straub - Ghost Story
Orson Scott Card - Ender´s Game
Roger Zelzany - Chronicles Of Amber
Craig Harrison - The Quiet Earth
Stephen King - IT
William Gibson - Neuromancer
Bruce Sterling - Schismatrix
Clive Barker - Books Of Blood
Iain M. Banks - Consider Phlebas
Dan Simmons - Hyperion Cantus
Robert Harris - Fatherland
Tad Williams - Otherland
Terry Pratchett - Mort
Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker´s Guide Through The Galaxy
Anne Rice - Interview With The Vampire
Marion Zimmer Bradley - Mists of Avalon
Neal Stephenson - Snowcrash
Haruki Murakami - Hardboiled Wonderland
Joanne K Rowling - Harry Potter series
Ursula K. Le Guin - Earthsee
Michael Chrichton - Sphere
Andrzej Sapkowski - The Witcher
Wolfgang Hohlbein - Der Greif
Robert Jordan - The Wheel Of Time
George RR Martin - A Song Of Ice And Fire series
Neil Gaiman - American Gods
Phillip Pullman - His Dark Materials

this one is sooo good.

There’s a notable absence of Dracula.

I just read It. Not one of my favorite Kings tbh. According to myself, Lisey’s Story is King’s best. But most of my ratings don’t seem to have made it to LT.

A few things missing from your list: :wink: The Boys From Brazil, something by Jack Vance, Slaughterhouse Five, Planet of the Apes, something by Kafka, Beloved (Toni Morrison).

Fritz Leiber, E. R. Eddison, Stanislaw Lem, Isaak Asimov, Gene Wolfe, Dan Simmons, Roger Zelazny, Tad Williams, Piers Anthony, Ursula K. Le Guin, Robert Jordan, Andrzej Sapkowski … for a start :slight_smile:.

Update: Philip K. Dick, William Goldman

Nice list, otherwise. While I do know about 95% of the authors and 75% of the books, I must admit I only read about 15% of those listed.

That’s the prequel? :smile:

Fuck, I´m tired!

Made massive addtions also thanks to you guys. Also expanded way into the past.

Thanks!

Had Ubik in before your update.

That’s one of the 5%. Not knowing the book, I’d totally missed that he was already on the list.

Started out great, but by the 4th book, I found the plot had taken a turn for the worse. I really liked Shadowmarch, however. Though I guess the “classic” would have been The Dragonbone Chair.

I second those, I’ve read some of those, sooner or later I will read the whole book.

this too. Probably the most important thing here is to find a good modern translation in your language with good notes.

and this one too, I’ve read it I love it. It shines bright of wit.

this too again. I never read it all, but the fact that I remember clearly many lines from it shows how I liked it. (I also dedicated some verses to the devs on the blog based on this :stuck_out_tongue: )

short and nice, like most of the works from this genius! Still remember when I watched it in the theatre.

great atmosphere.

a short story, a masterpiece in setting a mood. I love it, even if it haunts my soul.

So badly sad and deep in the inferiority complex towards the father, the family and society that it hurts your soul. Not sure if I will ever re-read that. Powerful digging.

Entertaining

A masterpiece of Science fiction, I devoured it in my fourteen!

From Sir Thomas More’s Utopia to the saddest dystopia. Read it when your soul is a feast (to counterbalance it). Remember it for not going there where it shows.

Good list. I’d add:
Franz Kafka - The Trial (brilliant and important, though I can’t compare to The Metamorphosis as haven’t read it)
Albert Camus - L’etranger/The Stranger
Paul Auster - New York Trilogy

Oh and didn’t you mention Heart of Darkness before?

What kind of corrections? Can I get my red pen out? Pleeeeease :grinning:

Get your reading glasses out first, I think you missed the point. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I mean I could argue for non supernatural horror(I got Red Dragon on here), but despite it being a while ago since I read the New York Trilogy I think that doesn´t qualify at all?

Yeah, too bad. :frowning:

Oh right, I think I glazed over that. Not overly familiar with that term!

I’m sure some of them do cross over, but depends how strict you’re being. Your list brought those ones to mind because I studied them all around the same time.

It’s referred to as mystery fiction in some places, but no not relevant if you’re sticking to sci-fi/horror.

Yeah, think it’s similar. I’ve asked my ma to send me a photo on her phone (this is good for testing her technical skills).

Genre fiction in the sense of all fantastic fiction covering fantasy, horror and sci-fi all at once? It´s actually used a lot and useful as a catch-all term for many authors who dabble in all three of those fields. Also none of those are overly popular with classic armchair critics.

And what is Guy Pearce doing on the cover of the original american edition?

grafik

Oh right. That’s a bit different to what I found when I looked it up (another term for popular fiction; or fiction that fits into a specific genre – as opposed to literary fiction which doesn’t). I never heard that term throughout my whole English degree. You learn something new! :slight_smile:

Haha :smile:

And that from someone who I learn at least one new expression from every day (i probably can never use because hardly anyone else seems to?)! :bowing_man:

Every day? Really? I should take advantage of this and throw in some fake sayings :japanese_ogre:

Oh here you are, Discourse. ‘A great discussion involves many voices and perspectives.’ Nope, just mine.

As it stands there are so many expressions I heard from you first (and least) I don´t know what´s real anymore now! Don´t make it harder for me as it is! Nonetheless I enjoy every last one of them.

"Ahh, you know she could have said “I bought some new shoes” but she being her of course decided to say “Look at me new floundercrammers, peeps! Ain´t they just swoofiepoofin´?”

I got the one for talking to you again. :weary:

:joy: what’s that from?

Nothing, I just made up a fictional situation to illustrate how I look at the way you write every day. :upside_down_face:

And make no mistake, I always get lots of joy from it! :slight_smile:

Oh, tee hee :grinning: