All about books!

Fritz Leiber, E. R. Eddison, Stanislaw Lem, Isaak Asimov, Gene Wolfe, Dan Simmons, Roger Zelazny, Tad Williams, Piers Anthony, Ursula K. Le Guin, Robert Jordan, Andrzej Sapkowski … for a start :slight_smile:.

Update: Philip K. Dick, William Goldman

Nice list, otherwise. While I do know about 95% of the authors and 75% of the books, I must admit I only read about 15% of those listed.

That’s the prequel? :smile:

3 Likes

Fuck, I´m tired!

Made massive addtions also thanks to you guys. Also expanded way into the past.

Thanks!

Had Ubik in before your update.

1 Like

That’s one of the 5%. Not knowing the book, I’d totally missed that he was already on the list.

Started out great, but by the 4th book, I found the plot had taken a turn for the worse. I really liked Shadowmarch, however. Though I guess the “classic” would have been The Dragonbone Chair.

1 Like

Good list. I’d add:
Franz Kafka - The Trial (brilliant and important, though I can’t compare to The Metamorphosis as haven’t read it)
Albert Camus - L’etranger/The Stranger
Paul Auster - New York Trilogy

Oh and didn’t you mention Heart of Darkness before?

What kind of corrections? Can I get my red pen out? Pleeeeease :grinning:

Get your reading glasses out first, I think you missed the point. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I mean I could argue for non supernatural horror(I got Red Dragon on here), but despite it being a while ago since I read the New York Trilogy I think that doesn´t qualify at all?

Yeah, too bad. :frowning:

Oh right, I think I glazed over that. Not overly familiar with that term!

I’m sure some of them do cross over, but depends how strict you’re being. Your list brought those ones to mind because I studied them all around the same time.

It’s referred to as mystery fiction in some places, but no not relevant if you’re sticking to sci-fi/horror.

Yeah, think it’s similar. I’ve asked my ma to send me a photo on her phone (this is good for testing her technical skills).

1 Like

Genre fiction in the sense of all fantastic fiction covering fantasy, horror and sci-fi all at once? It´s actually used a lot and useful as a catch-all term for many authors who dabble in all three of those fields. Also none of those are overly popular with classic armchair critics.

And what is Guy Pearce doing on the cover of the original american edition?

grafik

Oh right. That’s a bit different to what I found when I looked it up (another term for popular fiction; or fiction that fits into a specific genre – as opposed to literary fiction which doesn’t). I never heard that term throughout my whole English degree. You learn something new! :slight_smile:

Haha :smile:

1 Like

And that from someone who I learn at least one new expression from every day (i probably can never use because hardly anyone else seems to?)! :bowing_man:

Every day? Really? I should take advantage of this and throw in some fake sayings :japanese_ogre:

Oh here you are, Discourse. ‘A great discussion involves many voices and perspectives.’ Nope, just mine.

As it stands there are so many expressions I heard from you first (and least) I don´t know what´s real anymore now! Don´t make it harder for me as it is! Nonetheless I enjoy every last one of them.

"Ahh, you know she could have said “I bought some new shoes” but she being her of course decided to say “Look at me new floundercrammers, peeps! Ain´t they just swoofiepoofin´?”

I got the one for talking to you again. :weary:

1 Like

:joy: what’s that from?

Nothing, I just made up a fictional situation to illustrate how I look at the way you write every day. :upside_down_face:

And make no mistake, I always get lots of joy from it! :slight_smile:

Oh, tee hee :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve heard it with movies like “genre films” meaning sci-fi and horror mainly (maybe the term started out with movies…)

Yeah it sucks that they’re usually given short-shrift…
I had a great lecturer at university though who ran a sci-fi literature course (as part of an English degree) and it included stuff like War of the Worlds, Dune, 1984, Neuromancer, Left Hand of Darkness, Brave New World, I Robot… (he is also a sci-fi author himself, Adam Roberts)

1 Like

Funnily enough I was listening to Jeff Wayne’s version of that this morning. So good.

That was on my course too (English with a minor in North American Lit and Film). Except I ran out of time to read it. I should get round to it one day.

That´s what the people owning the film rights always say. :frowning:

2 Likes

That happened to me a lot, so much to read! I read the first third of a whole bunch of books… in the second and third year we could choose courses (like the sci-fi one), so I chose things like poetry and children’s literature, partly just to lighten the work load.

In the US?