All about books!

In the UK (sorry for answering for Kate!).

2 Likes

Ah, cool, mine was in the UK too (I couldn’t remember if having a “minor in” another subject was a UK or US thing…)

Yeah, you don’t see it much over here actually.

Tell me about it! I don’t know anyone who read all their books.

I really wanted to do that but couldn’t get on it because it was so popular! Creative Writing helped the load though, and I was glad I got on that one.

Ah, we didn’t have that, that would have been fun (there was an MA in it though).

I remember some people choosing “epic novel” as a course and regretting it pretty heavily…

Haha…

Picked up the book at my book store today. Only read the first story, Seltene Ereignisse, so far, which I liked. (Much, much better than some other print-on-demand books I read, actually. Remember one in particular where the author thanked his mother in the foreword for her editing and spell checking aid, only to find the first mistake in chapter one, page one.)

1 Like

Reading this at the moment. Might also be something @PiecesOfKate could be interested in if she doesn´t know it already.

Nicely illustrated (b/w pics in a style just like on the cover) and written like an alphetic ordered dictionary that is grouped by topics (people, places, creatures, stories etc.).

Actually looks like one of those old books they always use as research material in movies about monsters and ghosts. :slight_smile:

grafik

1 Like

I don’t know of it, but it looks good :slight_smile: I like the design of it, too. I had a ‘look inside’ on Amazon – the ‘weird people’ section looks interesting.

2 Likes

Tad’s my favourite writer! I met him in real life once too.

2 Likes

I just learned that James Follett (the brother of Ken Follett) wrote some novels for several (very old) games - Starglider, Starglider II and Tracker. You can still buy the stories on Amazon:

Having read almost the entire thing now I have a few gripes with it. I don´t really care much for authors refering to their personal experiences or opinions using the phrase “this author” a lot. Especially when used in a lexicon. But what was I to expect from an author sticking his name on the book in huge letters as if everyone was supposed to recognize him.

The thing that rubbed me wrong the most though was the heavy focus on biblical stories. I was really hoping for more exotic or at least more varied stuff. The asian and african myths, monsters and strange people are clearly outnumbered by stories from the bible everyone has heard a millon times, and that´s a bit of a shame.

2 Likes

The Bible is one of the most varied collections in existence. :angel:

I did not know Murakami was a LucasArts fan.

8 Likes

Not as long as it´s only about one god.

From the title, I’d expect this to contain the memoirs of Herman Toothrot.

1 Like

It’s not, so it passes that criterion. :wink:

That´s news to me! What are the other biblical gods, then?

Sandman #18 is called “A Dream Of A Thousand Cats” which sounds like a combination Neil Gaiman created specifically for @PiecesOfKate.

I just leave this here…

1 Like

As long as nothing happens to the thousand cats, Neil.

GASSSSSP those are massive cats! :heart_eyes_cat: Of course that’s how it used to be, with huge cats and tiny humans. Why did we not see that? That explains why they’re so determined to take over the world and reclaim their superiority.

And why Fleur used to lick my hand and use it to groom herself.

Edit: why were the humans naked though? The cats could’ve spared some loose fur to cover their special bits.

1 Like

No idea. The story is just that the cat is angry with the humas because their owners drowned her kittens she had with a stray cat. So she goes to dreamland and asks Morpheus who appears in the form of a black cat for advice. He then tells the story how it used to be the other way around until the humans started to dream, and began to grow bigger than cats and cats got smaller and they enslaved the cats because they could.

So she makes it her mission to reverse the state by walking the earth and trying to convince a thousand cats to dream that they will rule the earth again so that one day it comes true again.

That´s the story.

2 Likes