All about bricks

Just about the first thing I made was Aloy Croft.

3 Likes

Also I just remembered the pirates and soldiers had plenty of pistols, guns, and even cannons. :wink:

That’s actually a hose nozzle.
It must be your dirty imagination seeing guns everywhere! :slight_smile:

Yes, Aloy Croft is very well known as fire fighter in fan fiction, right? :smiley:

Oh, I haven’t noticed the minifigure in this set before.
Interesting hair piece! I looked it up and it wasn’t an ear ring as I’ve thought first

2 Likes

They explain it this way: They don’t do realistic current-day weapons and military stuff.
It’s all fantasy settings.
Starting with Space (e.g. 3959 Space Gun), Pirates or Western themed sets, to all those Star Wars sets (which literally have war in their name, but it’s fantasy so it’s OK I guess :slightly_smiling_face:)

I’ve seen current-day weapons though like those Uzi kind of weapons originating from Indiana Jones or Batman.

There was one crazy series from Lego in 2005 called Dino Attack which I think was mainly for North America. They have (mercenary) soldier type of guys killing dinosaurs with guns.

That’s probably the closest you get to military personal directly from Lego:

It seems like for Europe they dialled it down a bit and released the series as Dino 2010 (also in 2005).
Similar sets but now they use cages to catch dinosaurs instead of blasting them away with guns and RPGs.

3 Likes

Indeed. They even stopped a military airplane: The set “Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey” (number 42113) was already in their online shop for pre-order as they recognized that it was used primary for military cases (well, there was a small shitstorm too :wink: ). In the end they canceled the whole set.

1 Like

For me it’s a flower stem.

2 Likes

Interesting. I just had a lot of fun watching a Der Held (German only) video about it. :laughing:

From the comments:

Was viele nicht wissen, das die Piraten früher die Kanonen zur Kommunikation nutzten. Und Schwerter wurden auch nur als Reisespiegel genutzt.

For the English speakers:
What many people don’t know is that pirates used cannons for communication. And swords were also used only as travel mirrors.

3 Likes

So they fought like dairy farmers? :thinking:

2 Likes

Let me grab my sword so I can cut some cheese.

1 Like

They had their fun in the comment section…

Ein Piratensäbel ist natürlich nur zum rasieren da. Deshalb sehen Piraten auch so gepflegt aus.

“A pirate sword is only for shaving of course. That’s why pirates always look so well-groomed.”

Die Kanonen am Piratenschiff sind doch nur zur Selbstverteidigung, Piraten waren immer freundlich, friedvoll und mussten sich ständig gegen diese übermächtigen Handelsschiffe “verteidigen” ^^

“Canons on pirate ship are purely for self defense. Pirates always were friendly, peaceful, and against those mighty merchant vessels they always had to “defend” themselves.”

4 Likes

Scary part is that’s not the most I’ve paid for a Lego set. :wink:

1 Like

Which set? :smiley:

Star Wars?

That’s the most expensive Lego set I own: 21330 LEGO® Ideas Home Alone (2021)

It’s not my most expensive brick set though… at least for about one day. Tomorrow the one from Lego will become my most expensive brick set again.

2 Likes

Ah!

And that is … or was …? :grin:

Bingo :wink: OK, let me clarify, that’s not the most I’ve paid at retail for a set. I’ve purchased SW for low 4 digits in the resale market because, well, special occasion. :slight_smile: Anyway, this is the big baddie: https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/imperial-star-destroyer-75252

1 Like

Picked that one up today, now that it is slowly finding its way into stores

When I first saw it, the “dithering” totally reminded me on the backgrounds of Loom or Monkey Island, plus I do like the space theme, so I needed to have it!

I think the original idea had been a slightly different version of the three panels to the left, and LEGO was kind enough to throw in the fourth (with an ugly green Saturn, which turns out to be the representation of a black hole). Supposedly something like this:

But maybe it’s also sponsored by Nissan. Have to see if it can be salvaged somehow.

Also, the one where you are able to customize the constellation in the background doesn’t look as good with the non-defaults as I hoped it would. I wanted to go for Cassiopeia, but no idea from which vantage point Cassiopeia would look as depicted. It’s from nowhere on Earth, for sure :slight_smile:.

Also, my all time favorite, Orion, isn’t among the options at all. Again, some tinkering might remedy that.

But to end on a more positive note, its a set with a fair (if not huge) number of standard bricks (although either black or some garish color), so it might be possible to convert into something else entirely, at some point.

2 Likes

Or London Underground.

I also like the Atari games, especially the “Asteroids” vignette:

Unfortunately they are only available with the whole Atari set, which is too expensive for me (and I have a real Atari VCS :wink: )

3 Likes

They could let the buyer decide by including different stickers :slight_smile:.

1 Like

I’ve checked alternate builds on Rebrickable and coincidentally there is exactly one which is Orion:

London Underground after the Zombie Apocalypse?

2 Likes