Physical Copies of RtMI!

There are collector and non collector editions for consoles but only Collector for PC I believe. Even preorders will be open soon the shipping is months away. I will buy PC collector I guess.

5 Likes

It comes with all of these:

Seems like originally they had another pre-order schedule and also different keys are/were planned…

3 Likes

Currently following other adventure games can be pre-ordered there:

Sam & Max Hit the Road Collector’s Edition (PC) (looks were similar to my original box)

Night in the Woods Collector’s Edition (Switch, PS4)

3 Likes

There’s also this upcoming

As for the MI6 CE. Too much stuff that I do not particularly care about. Not quite sure if the soundtrack on CD is worth $90 + shipping. If it’s even on a separate Audio CD … it just says Original Soundtrack + PC Game, so might as well be a DVD-ROM with some MP3s on it. Really on the fence about that one …

4 Likes

Nope, on 4 platforms…

What a cheap trick to try and make you buy it 4 times at $90+ 1 time for the anthology “upgrade” at $60. That’s $420 without shipping to collect all keys to unlock the secret.
Wait - that is just an expensive trick.

3 Likes

The price is why I won’t buy the physical copy this time. I’ve backed the big(gest) Thimbleweed Park box and I own all Monkey Island boxes. But this time … I don’t know. IMHO 90 USD are too much for a game that’s “just another Monkey Island” game. (I’m still playing it, so maybe I will change my mind :wink: ).

I own most of the stuff in this Collector’s Edition. :smile: So I won’t buy it for 100 USD (plus shipping)! Similar is valid for the Loom box.

2 Likes

My thoughts more or less, though I am also pretty sure if this was a Kickstarter reward tier, I’d be all like 'shut up and take my money!". Maybe the prospect of having something nice in the future is more enticing than having a questionable collectible of something that already exists.

Though to be fair, the Collector’s Edition of Baldur’s Gate 3 is $250 + shipping, and it’s also just full of junk that’ll catch dust on a shelf. So $90 in comparison isn’t that bad.

Long story short, I guess for me the box is the collectible (and I like a physical copy of the soundtrack, too), but I’m no fan of statues, pins, trinkets, certificates and what have you. That certainly limits the price I could justify paying. I’ll rather spend those $90 on another LEGO set. Which will also collect dust on a shelf … :thinking:

3 Likes

I’m not sure if I would have done the same. :thinking: I backed the TWP box, but not everything. But it depends on the project: I’ve backed the highest reward tiers when some of the rewards were very interesting in my opinion.

If there would be a Monkey Island box with the essential stuff (like a manual and the soundtrack) for, let’s say, 50 USD, I would buy it.

In contrast to the MI box you could re-brick the LEGO set. :wink:

1 Like

I don’t know why, but I am rather conflicted.

Buying the TWP box (after the Kickstarter) was a no-brainer, but the aura surrounding this new product seems a bit underwhelming and I’m not sure I want it.

A friend of mine told me that I had buy it because it is the MI game that provided the infamous answer about the “original secret,” but while I enjoyed the game I don’t feel as invested in the merchandise as I was for TWP.

The diner’s tablemat and the page of Nickel News contributed to make me feel inside that world. A MI pin and a golden key don’t carry for me the same magic.

I’ll give it some more thought…

5 Likes

Tell em you already have the MI2 box :wink:

2 Likes

Is his name Ron?

2 Likes

You know, you made me think that this one would be my first boxed MI game. I’ve never been a collector of anything, in the past.

The publishing of a physical copy of RtMI could be an occasion to get the whole lot: the “30th Anniversary Anthology” box and the RtMI game, but the anniversary box is sold out.

I know this person since we were teenagers, so I double checked and his name is John.

2 Likes

I won’t pay any price either. Not even for the best game of all time.
Not sure, but isn’t it twice as much as the TWP standard box at Fangamer a few years ago?
Unfortunately, this could turn out to be the only opportunity to get a physical copy of RtMI, apart from second hand. You never know before. So, I am conflicted as well.

It would have been a shame if the Anthology edition was outdated/incomplete so quickly, so I’m glad there is an upgrade kit.
Sadly it doesn’t seem to include the soundtrack.

2 Likes

I can make my own upgrade kit for a quarter of the price (including soundtrack and DRM-free game on USB by getting it again on GOG - but even then it wouldn’t be complete without the shiny horse armour :grin: )

1 Like

I agree. But just buy 2 copies, and put one on the bay as soon as it runs out of stock.

3 Likes

Now you put an idea into my head… :grin:

Never sold anything there, so no idea how much effort is involved, but somehow I imagine that this would make the one copy even more expensive, given how much I value my free time :smiley:.

I like the idea, but I agree with Kaiman, since the acquisition cost is pretty high. If you want to sell it even at a higher price in order to make enough profit, you might have to be very patient. Also, you won’t be the only offerer on ebay.