Art style for remakes?

where is this placed?

Just kidding, it´s Regensburg, Germany. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice house and nice city indeed!

1 Like

Thanks guys, I think, I got your answers that I will summarize and make some result.
One more question:
which one of those, would be your best choice for remake?

Depends on the game and the story. :slight_smile: If you want to attract a lot of people you should use a style similar to Sam & Max: For younger players it looks like a cartoon and for grown ups it looks like old pixel graphics. If the game is not a comedy game, the art style of “The Dig” could be a good compromise.

1 Like

which one of those, would be YOUR best choice for REMAKE?

That depends on the game and the story. Without any further information I would chose the Sam & Max style: It’s the (comedy) style that most player like (as we can see on the DOTT remake) and it doesn’t age that fast as the other graphic styles do.

But again: It depends on the story. If the game has a dark mood (like BASS), I wouldn’t recommend the comic style from Sam & Max.

1 Like

As @Someone is bascially saying that question as it is, is hard to answers so…

1 Like

For all non-german speakers: The video is from an old German comedy movie. The joke in that scene is, that the man has no idea of what is going on. So he just says every time “I need more details”.

1 Like

Assuming to understand: “For which one of those I would like to play a remake”
(in order of preference)

1. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  2. The Dig
  3. Beneath a Steel Sky.

And all three of them could be re-made starting from the quality and choices summed up in this really good remake image for Indy4:

Expressionistic blue has become only something in the dark, while realistic (and iper-coloured) lights and finishes are new, amazing, true to the movies and 40ies, and touching. All the opening sequence is good, apart the last image in the basement: its original light is too much banalized. This is my place to start.

The following one is what I would NOT like to see, instead, since I see only an high definition copy of the original:

I also loved the mouse-dependent slight movement of the view for close-ups in the demo puzzle for Indy4 (the placement of the stones).

3 Likes

Wikipedia doesn’t list you as one of its notable residents. Weird.

3 Likes

Might be because I wasn´t born there. :wink:

If you intend to create a remake with pre-rendered 3D graphics, Beneath a Steel Sky might be the most complicated choice, due to the futuristic vistas in the backgrounds of the room screens, featuring huge buildings, tubes and so on.

For what it’s worth: As a fan of the first MI games, I myself would really like to play a 2D point & click demake of Escape from MI with the music and voice-acting from the official game - preferably with the visual style from MI 1, MI 2 or CoMI. I think this would eliminate some of the biggest flaws of the game. For the characters, some animations from the previous games could be recycled.

3 Likes

now, this is interesting idea… EMI could be a great game if they made it like the previous ones.
But because the art is so bad, that would require complete rework from scratch, it means a concept artist to design the scenes an layouts.

I played that only once, I dont remember what is going on in the game :disappointed_relieved:

It would be a huge amount of work indeed. :frowning: I played it only once, too. I remember that some of the puzzles are not very convincing, but, all in all, I’m sure the puzzles are better than those from Tales of MI. Also, when you create a demake, the puzzles can be modified. Some of them would even have to be changed, in order to make it a point & click game.

Though, I’m still afraid of legal issues. It would be a shame, if some passionate fans spent hundreds of precious hours on demaking EMI and wouldn’t even be allowed to share the result, just because Disney wouldn’t tolerate such a fan project.

That said, I don’t even know the legal situation. Maybe it would be okay, if the demake didn’t contain any original artwork, and if the music, sounds and the voice-overs were not included either, but could be imported via a tool, if the user had a copy of EMI.

Here is some concept art that could maybe be used for a demake:

Beside that, a lot of the scenes are “flat”. For example this scene could be a 2D graphic already:

http://images.eurogamer.net/articles//a/1/3/8/6/1/6/7/eg_monkey4_01.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/300x-1/quality/80/format/jpg

2 Likes

However, all backgrounds are pre-rendered in EMI, so in fact they are just 2D graphics.

Unfortunately, some of them just look too loveless. Also, Melee Island looks so much different from how it looks in MI 1. Just an example: The entrance of the SCUMM bar

Comparing that screenshot with the following fan artworks, makes me sad:

Okay, it wouldn’t need to look like that, but it would definitely be possible to recreate the room screens from EMI in a more coherent and respectful way.

That’s more or less what I’m talking about!

2 Likes

Yes, but you can still see that they are 3D graphics. So you can’t just convert them easily via Photoshop into pixel graphics backgrounds.

That’s true.

By the way, speaking of pixel-art, we could easily use a lot of room screens from MI 1 for such a demake, since EMI takes place on Melee Island and on Monkey Island (among other islands). This could make the game an amazing experience for everyone who grew up with the first game.

1 Like

I’m in! Let’s just get Bill Tiller to do some backgrounds, change a few names left and right, remove annoying parts (a sushi bar, really?!? And cut the ending -spoiler ahead- no more Ultimate Mortal Monkey Kombat.
No need for reusing voice overs or legal issues then.

1 Like