Collecting Lucasarts games

Okay, false alarm. A little digging leads to information that it is “fake”. (Warning, Facebook, follow link at your own risk). It is, however, original art by Denis Loubet, the guy that did a lot of the actual Ultima box art, and it was meant to be the Ultima 7 box cover, before it was changed to the, IMHO, classy and timeless black one.

Somebody must then have translated the subtitle, for whatever reason.

Can somebody please tell me the diameter of the codewheel of MI2 in the first boxed editions? I know that in later editions, the codewheel came in a tiny size.
I also noticed that some codewheels have red boxes on the numbers. Are they later editions?
Thank you everybody.

It did help. Both interesting URLs, being the first the very one I was referring to. Thanks!

1 Like

Stumbled upon this thread by accident and thought, I could clarify:

Yex, there is an official, fully translated German version of U7 and the subtitle is indeed “Die schwarze Pforte”; it’s this box here: https://bigboxcollection.com/#Ultima7

The other one in my collection is a box that I’ve made up using the alternative artwork by Denis - with whom I have of course shared my fake box in order to get his OK, he really liked it :sunglasses: - for the front and elements of the original German box for the rest. That’s this one here: https://bigboxcollection.com/#Ultima7Alt

Anyway, happy collecting everybody :slight_smile:

2 Likes

*mind blown* :exploding_head: . And here I thought there isn’t anything new to learn about Ultima 7!

In related news, the game has finally been covered by the Digital Antiquarian; an event I have been looking forward to for a long time.

2 Likes

A new addition to my collection!

9 Likes

Oh yeah, totally forgot to mention my recent acquisition! :money_mouth_face:

I’ve always wanted to own a big box version of The Dig - it’s not the “foil/flap” cover I’d have preferred, but I’m still happy with it. :blush:

Plus it’s just the right size to fit my copy of the the novelisation in too! :smiley:

2 Likes

I totally let one of those pass by as it was coming from a smoker.

Let us know if that novel is any good!

1 Like

You´re telling me old used books can smell of something else than tobacco?! :scream:

We have a former American army base library book here and we have no idea what it smells like, except that it smells odd.

Gunpowder?

I wouldn’t say so, but I suppose military rifles and armaments could smell different than regular shotguns. Also I’m not sure how plausible it is that they’d smell like gunpowder in the first place, army base or not. :rofl:

I bet they small like insecurity and questionable career paths.

Napalm?

You mean that one?

It’s easily the most stylish of all the LA/LFG boxes. The iridescent finish makes it stand out all the more:

And no, it’s not for sale.

Wonder why they had Alan Dean Foster pen that instead of Orson Scott Card, who actually contributed to the game.

Edit: had to get out a real camera to do it justice.

5 Likes

Yes… that’s the one… :sob:

#FancyDoingATrade #No? #DidntThinkSo #MaybeIllUpgradeOneDay

1 Like

really? either for a ridiculous amount of money? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

beautiful btw!

Let’s just say that a sum that could be considered ridiculous in conjunction with a boxed copy of The Dig is not large enough to part ways with mine. But, if we’re talking ridiculous ridiculous, then all bets are off … :slight_smile:.

Considering it’s “just” packaging for the actual product, it is really amazing. Perfectly captures the Sci-Fi vibe of the game.

1 Like

just in case someone in the US wants to take a chance of getting a cheap copy of the big box of Full Throttle

current bid only at $16 - with less than an hour to go

It’s the same box I had! I was gifted this box from a friend of mine on my 17th birthday – just like Bobbin Threadbare.
The cassette tape with the audio drama was the second best goodie I’ve ever seen!

7 Likes