Cuphead: platform game in the style of old Fleischer cartoons

If you consider the above phallic, you probably should see a doctor.

Yes, other people took notice of that, too:

1 Like

What do you mean? A psychiatrist because it shouldn’t be normal to consider it fallic, or an urologist because it shouldn’t be normal to have it in a triangular section?

I noticed those two possibilities after I posted, and I like implications that can be read two ways, so I´ll let it stand as it is. :slight_smile:

But it was the triangular shape that started it in any case.

I haven’t seen such thing in the game, what are you talking about?
I see a life indicator (hearts on top) and a purple bar beneath it which seems to fill with time and can be used for special attacks.

Looking at the gameplay video and the game description the game seems to mostly consist of boss fights and no real platforming at all. Which is a pity since I would have liked this probably more.

But I’m also someone who would buy a game just to look at it, so as long there is a proper pause function I should be fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where do you see a purple bar? I´m talking about the gif above that has a green bar that radically goes down.

I thought you were talking about Cuphead and its boss battles…

Yeah, the green bar in Ruff ‘n’ Tumble represents ammo and acts as a cooldown for your weapon.
It regenerates with time. If it’s full you can shoot rapidly until it is depleted after which it shoots slow or you have to stop shooting and wait to get rapid fire again.

Okay, that´s where on first viewing I thought meter might be the lifebar of the bosses because they´re all gone when it´s almost empty.

Generally we were speaking about regular enemies taking a lot of hits. While in some games your weapon upgrades help you aim or spread your shots better (like in Contra) so it really doesn´t matter how many hits the enemys take as it´s more about dodging, other games start you out with weak weapons that let you grind a lot even on regular enemies, only to give you the more powerful weapons later(and then you feel like a boss). Castlevania Symphony Of The Night uses this, at least in my opinion, to almost comedic effect.

I have tried a bunch of controllers and the controller of XBox One is the one that “feels right” in my hands. The model that I tried also had a D-pad that I like more: just the cross, not a full circle. I’ll purchase a wireless bluetooth version, it should work well with my W10 laptop.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Too bad, I would have liked a review of the PS4 controller, especially how well the track pad works because this is something which could be nice when playing adventure-type games.

Note that there is a newer Xbox controller version out there which also works with Bluetooth (Win10 only).
It’s the Microsoft Xbox One S Wireless Controller, it works via Bluetooth, Xbox wireless and wired (USB).

What additional/different features does this new wireless controller provide when compared to the “Xbox One Wireless Controller”?

I’ve heard in an interview about the additional Bluetooth connectivity and different grips.

According to this article it also has a headphone jack (which IMO may not work with PC).

It also seems to be possible to order such Xbox One S controller in custom colours!?

The original XBox One wireless controller does not support Bluetooth. A separate wireless adapter was needed, though you could always plug a Micro USB cable into it for use as a wired controller.

I don’t care how difficult Cuphead is, I’ll buy it just to play it in the following way:

2 Likes

To my knowledge, there was an issue with the original Xbox One controller due to interferences of its radio signals with the signals of proximate WLANs. So, the controller needed to be altered by using another frequency range. Seemingly, they decided for Bluetooth when they developed the Xbox One S.

I haven’t tried out the headphone jack yet, but I can confirm that there is one indeed.

In my opinion, the track pad is pretty small. But, let’s wait and see how the announced mouse support of the Xbox One is going to be done.

1 Like

I tried Cuphead and it’s not for me. I hated console style of movement. After years of playing on Amiga and C-64 I’m used to something else. I had the same type of trouble with Broforce (which seems to be an awesome game in that style). Yes, the difficulty is punishing for a modern game but it wouldn’t be something weird on Amiga.

I love the style though! I hope more games like that will come out, even if I won’t be able to play them for very long.

Difficulty is a problem, because you cant have full fun and after a while its just a torture and people start complaining about money and hitting devs…

Anyway, I played games on Amiga a lot with joysticks, even some games has been hard, it never been insanely hard…(except 1%) so, I will buy cuphead just because its a MP, but I was very disappointed with Helldivers… they should add friendly fire at least or add some cheats like we had on all consoles. Press certain buttons and it opens a new menu or activate certain cheat.

IMHO playing platform games with a (digital) joystick is easier than playing with a keyboard, a gamepad and/or a mouse. But maybe this is a matter of habit. :slight_smile:

I’ve read about some guy who loves the art style but the game was just too difficult for him. He resorted to using cheats and is happy :slight_smile:

There is a good chance that I will do the same, if the game will turn out to be too difficult for me.

After recently having played through Super Ghouls´n´Ghosts and Contra 3, I feel like I´m clinically insane. And I didn´t even play the hard modes!