Curse and Maniac Mansion come to GOG! Sweet!

Yes, that’s a pity. Maybe it’s still a lot of work for them. Nonetheless, CoMI might have been worth it. It’s similar to the omission of localizations.

For the most part I’m not really buying things I’m familiar with on GOG, although I will admit to having bought a few things I already own on CD-ROM. I didn’t know this Legend of Kyrandia stuff, for example, or very vaguely at best. I’d heard the name Simon the Sorcerer because of the 3D game but that’s about it. And when you get right down to it I spend the most money on new stuff like Oxenfree, Shadow Tactics & Thimbleweed Park.

I mean, Shadow Tactics had a demo. A demo! And it was fantastic.

On the whole I’m most familiar with roughly the 2000-2004 bracket (let’s say ~'98-'04 but that’s not something you can select on GOG) but I’ve bought very few of those. Sure, I grabbed Syberia and I’d get Discworld Noir, all of which I borrowed from the library just like CoMI, but another coy of Hitman 2? Another copy of MDK? I’ve already got that stuff on CD-ROM. It’s not like my floppies that I could only read if I put together this old motherboard from '07 or '09 together with my final remaining floppy drive attached.

I think it might be more that 1990 is a bit of a divider between “truly old” and “just a bit pixelated”. That’s when you get stuff like Monkey Island 1 as the adventure game mold, and Dune 2 for the RTS mold. Before then it can quickly become a bit awkward. [edit]Nope, not it. GOG starts in 1980. It’s just a DOS thing. Weird.[/edit]

On the flipside, these days I have no idea how I ever thought original Tomb Raider was easy to control. That stuff is absurdly finicky. Maybe we can make a distinction between 2D and 3D. :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, I don’t know, but in any case Razor didn’t feel stronger (or I somehow missed it) after the exercise machine moved itself.

You’d think that data + configoutput to three systems is a shellscript/Makefile/whatever that you can write in an hour or two. Of course there will be complications but whatever they might be you’d think they already encountered and solved them years ago! :frowning:

1 Like

That’s interesting. Their games I heard of were localized by Atari and similar substandard companies for this task. Maybe I should play the German version of Tales after all.

I don’t think so.
IIrc, I’ve seen at least one Amiga game there, but I don’t remember which game it was.
And not to forget, they have the FM-Towns version of Zak McKracken.

Really quite the opposite!
Including lots of ways to mess up to recoverable states or beyond recovery.
It will all make sense later.
You know there is this thread too if you want to get gentle hints or not-so-subtle spoilers.

Of course you’d have to be as charming as @PiecesOfKate :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

:princess:

1 Like

33 posts were merged into an existing topic: TWP Forum Meetup Discussion

@Someone, @Frenzie
Have a look on this page
WARNING: all in clear black text! So you’ll need to find a way to blur out stuff or restrain yourselves
http://c64sets.com/maniac_mansion/hint_book.pdf

2 Likes

But that’s not the original version? Have you re-written it?

That thing has been online for ages.

1 Like

“Have you tried to find the light switch?”

Oh great that tone again! What´s next?

“Have you considered to maybe let other people into the conversation, too?”

1 Like

Do you mean the text is different?
I wouldn’t know, I have neither version. I just thought you’d like it over the red trxt thing.
With just some editing one can turn this into a clickable UHS-like expanding step by step thing.
I take absolutely no credit to having written or re-written anything, just googling and stumbling upon this.

1 Like

Talking to yourself again, eh?

My thoughts are narrated by Morgan Freeman.

I haven’t checked that. But the PDF was made with LibreOffice, so I assume somebody transcribed the original hint book. :slight_smile:

Of course it’s more readable than the GOG version (and thus more useful). So thanks for sharing it!

1 Like

One of the hints is “why bother?” :joy:

How will you FIND the light switch? You’re in a DARK ROOM! You need the light switch to see, DO YOU SEE?!
(Warning: this is what the show does to you :wink: )

This is the Maniac Mansion hint book
Hints are for telling you what to do
Telling = communication
Communication = discourse
Discourse = this forum

:astonished:

2 Likes

Of course!

1 Like

:thinking:
Huh?

Conclusion: The TWP forum is a hint book for Maniac Mansion. :crazy_face: